DCC Developments & Experimentation

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:00 am

Re: DCC Developments & Experimentation

Post by spturner »

For installation of the DCX65, I mostly copied from the photos of your installation, as best I could. I cut the busbars, lifted out the motor, clipped off the majority of the plastic supporting the motor leads, and clipped those leads back as short as I dared. I cut pieces of black and red wire from the end of the DCX65 to connect between the front and back pick-ups where I'd cut the busbars and tucked them as far down along either side of the motor as I could make it go before soldering them in place. I then cut the controller wires very short (but probably not short enough) and soldered the grey and orange leads to the cut motor tabs. I then bent them back so I could solder the now very short (but again, probably not short enough!) black and red leads to the front pick-up leads. I threaded the white and yellow wires through to the front to try to connect up the lights, but that didn't work as I'd hoped.

I had to file the edges of the DCX65 board to remove the fiberglass flash so the body shell would fit back on. I also had to cut the front support post from the body shell because there was nowhere for it to go with all of those wires in the way! After all was said and done, the shell fit back on but won't quite lock all the way down because the wires are a bit too long and lift up on the front a bit. Still, it works and looks pretty good unless you're very close. I plan on (eventually) 3D printing an Amtrak GE Genesis body shell for it so I'll probably leave myself a bit of extra room to make it work. Given the refit, I may just give up on the lights.

I'm running all of this on an experimental oval right now, powered by a Digitrax Zephyr Express meant for my Z scale layout. With zero information out there on how to make this work, I used the UP6Z meant for Z scale DCC to cut the voltage down so as to not fry anything. It all seems to work pretty well, so I went ahead and ordered a couple of more DCX65s to convert my entire fleet (the other GNER and a GP8) for DCC running.

User avatar
Posts: 1223
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:43 pm
Location: Nottingham, UK

Re: DCC Developments & Experimentation

Post by dkightley »

That sounds brill! Chipping the 16m power unit first off was very ambitious...so, well done!

And it looks as if you found the same thing as me....you have to be bold on cutting wires short - the shorter the better. I even had one wire come unsoldered at one end when I was soldering the opposite end!! I wasn't quick enough to stop the heat wicking to the other end!

Now you have a loco working, you'll have to try playing with the decoder settings. My test track loop is about 18 in by 12 in, and whilst playing with settings, I set the decoder so if I ran it at 100% throttle and then tripped it to idle, the loco took four complete circuits round the track to come to a stop! I have it set now so it takes about one and a half circuits....which seems to give a reasonable acceleration/deceleration curve! I've also capped the top speed...as flat out is totally unrealistic.

I use JMRI with MERG kits to power everything, and the software makes changing things very easy. I run track voltage at approx. 14v and the decoders seem to be quite happy, and the motors don't get hot even after long running
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

Post Reply