The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.
chadnn

Post by chadnn »

Hi All,

As the title says I'm new to T gauge so will be coming here with questions. I'd like to thank Martink for all the help he has given me so far.

Due to downsizing I'm moving from N to T. Will be ordering things in the next few days as soon as I have decided on which layout I'm going to use. Want to be sure to buy enough track :) . One question I have now is about the PWM (the blue box), would a mobile phone charger ( 5V, 2.1A) work as a power supply?

Looking forward to the new gauge and learning more on this forum.

Chad

dkightley

Re: Newbie

Post by dkightley »

Hi Chad

Welcome to t Gauge and to the Talking T Gauge forum.......

To answer you question......seeing as there's a commercial USB to PWM cable available then someone does not anticipate the power demand on the supply to be greater than 0.5A at 5v. (The spec for USB 2 has a max current specified at 0.5A, and 0.9A for USB3 ). And from my own experience, a power car motor consumes very little current. I've had a set of rechargeable batteries last several hour powering three power cars in one stint.

So....I would think that a power supply that is definitely 5v DC (not AC!!) with a current rating of 1.5A will be perfectly suited to powering a PWM.

And regarding your proposed layout....you are hereby instructed to start a thread in the Layout section giving full details of your plans. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

chadnn

Post by chadnn »

It is 5 VDC but 2.1 A not 1.5 A so.......

Reith01

Post by Reith01 »

chadnn wrote:It is 5 VDC but 2.1 A not 1.5 A so.......
That'll work - problems happen when it's underpowered.

Good luck. Make sure your track is absolutely even!!

:)

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

How on earth did I manage to change 2.1 into 1.5??? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'll have to check out those tea bags......there must be something nice in the tea! :shock: :shock: :D
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

chadnn

Post by chadnn »

Thanks for the help. Just don't want to burn anything up :!:

chadnn

Post by chadnn »

OK guys, will be receiving my trains within the next day or so and have another question, or two :D

Been reading where most of you glue your flex track down and some of you use double-sided tape. I'm going to use tape and wonder if you tape the whole track or just here and there? Also what do you use for ballast?

Thanks.

martink

Post by martink »

Hi Chad,

Well, I can answer the second half of your question, about ballast. The fine stuff sold by tgauge.com works quite well. I found the most useful tool to apply it was a paintbrush with a head about 8-10mm wide. Pour the ballast along the track, then run the brush down the track between the rails. The bristles touch the sleepers in the centre and on both sides and shape the ballast over the track nicely. You still have to do a bit of work to shape the edges, but it is all a lot easier than it sounds.

chadnn

Post by chadnn »

Unfortunately Tgauge is out of stock on the ballast so was hoping there was something else that could be used.

chadnn

Post by chadnn »

Well found out you can't use a mobile phone charger on the blue pwm. Can still use the batteries but something burned inside and can't use the usb cord. Oh well :(

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Sounds like the charger unit you tried may not have been compatible after all. Was it 5 DC, as I said it needed to be? The polarity may possibly have been wrong. Did you check it with a meter before you plugged it in?? :?

If it now is damaged and can only work on batteries, that should still be okay. Batteries will last a heck of a long time. I've used NiCad rechargeables for the best part of eight hours continuously powering two or more power cars at the same time without any problems. Duracells should last much longer before they need replacing.
Doug Kightley

chadnn

Post by chadnn »

It was a 5VDC, 2.1A charger. After it cooled down I tried a 5VDC, 1A charger and it seemed to be OK. So it seems that I had to many amps. Live and learn,just happy that I can still use it :)

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

So it seems that I had to many amps.
It doesn't work like that. The amp values are the maximum current the power supply is designed to supply.....its capacity. The voltage is the killer in the equation. If the voltage was say 12v instead of 5v, then there is a risk that components will overheat spectacularly because 12v would generate a much higher current through the component than what 5v would. And if the power supply was AC instead of DC, then the danger is the reverse polarity half of the time. That would damage components as well!
Doug Kightley