The Bridges at Saltash

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.
dkightley

Re: The Bridges at Saltash

Post by dkightley »

I've finally got the last couple of blank areas at least covered with something:
IMG_4230_red.JPG
There's still some finishing off required on this side of the river....some walls, trees, hedges, & vegetation, then I can move over to the Plymouth side!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Three more photos of Saltash...this time with the approach viaduct for the Riyal Albert Bridge (almost !!!) in place...
IMG_4236_red.JPG
IMG_4236_red.JPG (162.54 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
IMG_4237_red.JPG
IMG_4237_red.JPG (146.93 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
IMG_4240_red.JPG
IMG_4240_red.JPG (123.18 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
I do still have to add some scenery details as stated in my previous post....and loads of vehicles and boats....and people!! And I've yet to add the water's edge and paint the water surface......but all these jobs can wait until I get the Plymouth side moved on substantially.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Moving on to my next "blank canvas".....the East side of the Tamar.
IMG_4241_red.JPG
IMG_4241_red.JPG (98.13 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
I'd previously rough shaped the ground level around the branch line and under the east viaduct of the RAB, and loose-fitted the boatyard and park section that I'd 3D printed. Here you can see paper templates for the road surfaces pinned in place and the first few buildings along the water's edge loose fitted.

The picture doesn't show it well, but there's a heck of a gradient in the ground surface along this stretch..and I'm going to hack out chunks of foam to get each building fitted. Off picture on the right is my vacuum cleaner, which I have to use every ten minutes or so, otherwise I can's see what I'm doing!!!!
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

A productive hour or so this morning....
IMG_4249_red.JPG
IMG_4249_red.JPG (125.13 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
Stopping for a deserved cup of coffee...........
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

And now we're at the end of a good day's work....all the buildings south of the bridge viaduct are now loose-fitted and some of the ground surface a lot nearer where it should be.
IMG_4250_red.JPG
IMG_4250_red.JPG (82.57 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
Only a handful of buildings left to fit to the ground surface... and then the next job will be to finish off the artwork for the road surface sections and get them and the buildings glued down.
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Nothing much to show visually today apart from a pile of cut up paper in my waste bin and a thicker layer of foam bits in my Dyson's dust container!!

I've spent a couple of days contouring the foam on the East side scenery, filling gaps with builder's caulk....and cutting out, loose fitting and sealing with matt varnish the final road surfaces. Hopefully, tomorrow I'l glue the road surfaces in place and start getting some colour down on the foam so I can glue a few buildings down.

Hopefully, before the weekend, I'll have some viewable progress to report....
Doug Kightley

gbtrains

Post by gbtrains »

Doug

Your cracking on with this project.
Keep up the great work that you are putting into.

Cannot wait to see it in action.
:D

regards
Graham

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Another good day in the workshop.....
IMG_4256_red.JPG
IMG_4256_red.JPG (123.36 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
IMG_4255_red.JPG
IMG_4255_red.JPG (123.27 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
IMG_4254_red.JPG
IMG_4254_red.JPG (133.14 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
IMG_4257_red.JPG
IMG_4257_red.JPG (131.3 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Plymouth side scenery now about 95% complete. Just a bit more vegetation and some details to add:
IMG_4275_red.JPG
IMG_4275_red.JPG (144.47 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
IMG_4274_red.JPG
IMG_4274_red.JPG (144.79 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
IMG_4271_red.JPG
IMG_4270_red.JPG
And I've started putting together some marine life...of the human variety!:
IMG_4269_red.JPG
IMG_4269_red.JPG (61.22 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Its been six days since my last post.....and I'm able to let everyone into a little secret.....

Scenery laying is COMPLETE! On Monday, I put the finishing touches to the scenery on both the Saltash and Plymouth sides of the layout, and created the "beaches" (if you can call them beaches, that is!). I need to qualify "completed"....which is the creation and finishing of all the buildings, roads, vegetation, etc. I will be populating the scenery with vehicles and people, etc at a later date.

I've just spent a couple of days working on restoring a trailer, which I will be using in conjunction with the back of my car to transport the layout to shows....at least to any shows that are still taking place. The Covid-19 situation is getting worse at the moment, which will throw the viability of more and more shows into doubt!!

I need to take a day or so to catch up of housework...particularly now I've stopped paddling scenery flock throughout the house...and to take stock of where I am, and what to do next! And no pictures for the time being....
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

As I'm about to reach a key point in my overall "voluntary" life....an EGM for the Tramway Museum Society, I thought it best to use the natural break in work at home to draw uo another progress report/to do list.

Layout boards:
Backboards cut out for where track goes through. Cut-outs still required for the Tamar Bridge, as exact size & position not yet known. Boards to be surfaced with cotton sheet and image applied using tee-shirt iron-on transfers ( already bought).
Google Earth images taken ready for creating the artwork for the transfers.
Decided on five stalk lights for layout (4 for layout, 1 for work area at traverser) One or two lights yet to be bought and quick-release fittings needed. Lights to be powered from as few power supplies as possible.
Shelf for PC/Pi yet to be made (posts already printed).

Trackwork:
Traverser and Saltash points now finished and commissioned…stronger servos were required, plus adjustable stops needed fitting.
Track not yet tested.....to progress at an appropriate time. Clean track, check points, etc, & test run train.

Electrics & Automation:
Minor mod to wiring loom terminations…to prevent stray wire strands shorting, crimp-on pins fitted to all wires.
Minor work on existing scripts, plus three “scenario” scripts created….
1 - Branch line shuffle (starting/stopping on either Trav road 1 or 2)
2 -Express mainline run, two in each directions, starting & stopping on Trav 3 with one each way stopping at Saltash
3 -DMU mainline shuffle, one run in each direction, starting on Trav 2 & stopping at Saltash.
All scripts need testing.
Use of Raspberry Pi abandoned for this layout….to use laptop..

Scenery:
All installation work on scenery “on land” now complete on both Saltash and Plymouth sides.
Water surface to be painted and floating jetty on Saltash, plus all boats and cars yet to be added.
Boats & cars ….some still to print; all to paint and glue down.

Royal Albert Bridge:
Complete painting of bridge girderwiork
Both end piers are still to be final fitted.
Small retaining piece on Plymouth end pier requires refitting.

Tamar Bridge:
Spring wire for cables needs cutting to length and fitting.
Drop wires require measuring, bending & soldering to main cable.
A number of drive chain links yet sections printed...another 600 needed.
Commissioning of drive track to be completed…initially with drive units back-to-back, then with bridge deck included. Some clearances require increasing to allow chain to run.
Transport board to be established....probably using back section of layout board with lightweight cover.
Reinforcement to deck to girder frames may be needed.

Rolling stock:
DCC chips to fit to 800/3 set. All carriage bodies printed…..decals to apply, etc.
Class 150 DMU – DCC chip installed in one unit. Will either fit DCC chip to second unit or wire units together to utilise single DCC chip. DMU bodies printed…..one declalled, second to do.
Class 170....two shells require printing & decals to design. To use existing 170 power units.
To decide on freight loco & wagons at a later stage. Aim is to have a minimum of four trains set up and running under automation control.....

Mics items, set:
Appx 140 cars & vans printed. More cars, vans & lorries/buses needed. All require painting!
Approx 30 yachts printed & few have masts fitted. A few more needed…..some with masts & some reqd upside down.
Already have a number of people...to identify more as required.
Transport rig for layout and track sections, etc to be determined.
Trailer serviced/refurbished by JB. PVC cover obtained….to fit hold-down cleats & test run trailer.

With the introduction of more severe country-wide COVID-19 restrictions now in place and expected to be like this for something like six months, it seems likely that there are not going to be any exhibitions held before Easter next year at the earliest. Despite this, I'm going to carry on with a target completion for the layout of mid-January for the time being....
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Having moved onto work that will see the layout looking more complete, I've had a shuffle round in the work room so I can assemble the whole layout and still be able to get round (aka shuffle along the wall!) most of the layout.

First job was to commission and test all of the control electronics on the layout....basically, the CBUS system that picks up all of the sensor feedback......and it all worked. The system has full control of the custom point on the bridge viaduct, and the traverser (as I call it). And with a quick track clean around part of the track, I've had first train movement....with very smooth running onto and off the traverser.

I've started one of the other tasks.....sorting out the backdrop facing. The backdrop consists of thin ply in sections around the sides and rear of the viewable part of the layout. The ply sections will be covered in cotton material that will have "iron-on" transfers (the tee-shirt type!) that have images from Google Earth. Initially, I have created prints of a plain green and blue images on A4 paper, which I have temporarily glued on.

And, on having replaced the backdrop to see how things look, I thought a few photos were in order. Why does my photography sometimes come out somewhat atmospheric??
IMG_4283_red.JPG
IMG_4283_red.JPG (95.96 KiB) Viewed 103 times
IMG_4289_red.JPG
IMG_4289_red.JPG (97.38 KiB) Viewed 103 times
IMG_4290_red.JPG
IMG_4290_red.JPG (140.4 KiB) Viewed 103 times
IMG_4286_red.JPG
Doug Kightley