The Bridges at Saltash

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.
dkightley

Re: The Bridges at Saltash

Post by dkightley »

By the time I post this it'll be as near as damn it 1st March and 167 days left before the layout needs to be ready....and a recap of where I am with things is needed. Anything in black was on the last list and is not done. Anything in green had already been done or has been done since the last list ( and will disappear from the list next time), and anything in red is a new item to do.......

Layout boards:
All boards made and jointing methods finished.
Backdrop boards (5 off) made and most theatre hinges fitted. Boards yet to have cut-outs done for track & Tamar Bridge; boards to be surfaced with cotton sheet and image applied using tee-shirt iron-on transfers ( already bought).
Some lights already obtained. More needed & quick-release fittings needed. Lights to be powered from as few power supplies as possible.
Both left & right front covers made & painted.
Shelf for PC yet to be made (posts already printed).

Trackwork:
All track laid and joints made. Power connections all made & wires to power boxes done.
Saltash point installed and initial set-up done. Power switching board for pointwork built and tested.
Flexi-traverser built and initial set-up complete. Some more work on ensuring free-running needed. To fit stop screws to traverser & springy links on servos.
Track not yet tested.....to progress at an appropriate time. Clean track, check points, etc, & test run train.

Electrics & Automation:
All system boxes commissioned, & wiring loom made up.
All sensors commissioned & tested okay. All trigger correct LMRI sensors
All TOTIs (train on track indicators) function tested & trigger correct JMRI sensors.
JMRI throttle control script created & simulation tested.
Train blocks identified & reference info documented for scripts. One script (shuffle up/down Tamar branch from Trav1) written and tested under simulation.
Existing script requires testing. Additional scripts to determine and write/test.

Scenery:
Foam scenery shaped to rough shape and glued down.
Road sections defined and detail on a couple almost completed. Next step is to start fitting road sections to foam.
All identified buildings have been designed and printed. Two require splitting over layout joint and reprinting. Remaining building yet to paint.
Start made on painting buildings, etc. Appx six completed to date, plus Saltash side boatyard.
Number of trees required to be estimated and trees made & fitted
Beaches on both sides to be laid down.
Water surface to be painted.
Complete fitting of buildings into scenery foam.

Royal Albert Bridge:
All viaducts completed and painted.
Saltash side lower piers fitted to board and upper viaduct (removable section) assembled.
Plymouth side assembled & fixed to board.
Bridge arches assembled and 90% painted. Both end piers are still to be final fitted.
Small retaining piece on Plymouth end pier requires refitting.

Tamar Bridge:
All main bridge components printed. Sections require checking & holes drilling for fittings, etc.
Under-deck girderwork sections printed. All require cleaning & checking for fit, etc.
Both drive sections have most parts printed. Parts need support removed, checking & cleaning up.
Main frame sections and roadways needed reprinting; need to establish which have been done & what printing is left to do.
157 vehicle drive chain sections printed...another 600 needed.
Suspension cable need building. Need to identify what cable/wire to use.
Transport board to be established....probably using back section of layout board with lightweight cover.
Reinforcement to deck to girder frames required.

Rolling stock:
Class 800/3 shells printed & decals designed. Power units purchased. DCC chips to fit.
Class 150 DMU shells printed & decals designed & applied. Power units purchased. DCC chip fitted to one unit.
Class 170....two shells require printing & decals to design. To use existing 170 power units.
To decide on freight loco & wagons at a later stage. Aim is to have a minimum of four trains set up and running under automation control.....

Mics items, set:
Appx 140 cars & vans printed. More cars, vans & lorries/buses needed.
Already have a number of people...to identify more as required.
Transport rig for layout and track sections, etc to be determined.
Trailer to be serviced/refurbished by JB. Cover needed.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

After a heavy week or two working on Tax data for the Tramway Museum Society, I've finally managed to get a bit more building painting done:
IMG_4117_red.JPG
IMG_4117_red.JPG (125.83 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Looking more like the real thing...…

And to release my laptop from train running duties I've invested in a little bit of technology,,,,,a Raspberry Pi. It will run the Linux version of JMRI so should work quite nicely. Just under a hundred quid for the Pi and its power supply, etc, and a monitor....less than a third of the price of a new laptop!.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

This is all coming along great! Really pushing the boundaries and showing what can be done in T!

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

This is just one 3D printed building....a terrace of ten town houses....complete with front gardens! There are back yards on the other side...and a few extensions. Its been a long day painting...….
IMG_4120_red.JPG
IMG_4120_red.JPG (83.86 KiB) Viewed 2629 times
….but worth it! ;)
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Its been a month since my last update...but I have been getting on with things....

I've moved on with the design of the construction of the suspension bridge and the car tracks, both of which are progressing okay. But the big landmark (pun not intended....but left in!) is that I have completed painting all of the buildings on the West (Saltash) side of the river.....just under 130 buildings altogether.

Here's a few shots of buildings in almost their final positions....
IMG_4145_red.JPG
IMG_4145_red.JPG (108.34 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
IMG_4146_red.JPG
IMG_4146_red.JPG (96.97 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
IMG_4147_red.JPG
IMG_4147_red.JPG (84.68 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
IMG_4143_red.JPG
There's not so many on the East (Plymouth) side....just under 50. I'll probably start on them tomorrow.
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

This evening's work:
IMG_4155_red.JPG
IMG_4155_red.JPG (63.74 KiB) Viewed 2437 times
Time for a rest, I think.....
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

I like landmarks!!!

Particularly the ones that you reach!

And the one I've just reached is completion of painting of all the buildings and other 3d-printed scenery sections for the layout! All 182 of them!!!

And here's a shot of most of them...minus some of the small bits that I have bagged so I don't lose them!:
IMG_4157_red.JPG
IMG_4157_red.JPG (146.6 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
Now to get stuck into finishing off and fitting the road sections...and gluing down some buildings....
Doug Kightley

martink

Post by martink »

And I was patting myself on the back for completing the dozen or so for mine... That is some seriously impressive work, and I think a lot of us are eagerly waiting to see the whole thing in its completed form. Or even just with the main elements in place and everything up and running.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Continuing the countdown to a deadline that may or may not exist with the current Covid-19 situation, I now have 102 days left before the layout's first possible outing. having finished painting the buildings, I think its time to review the "To do" list.

The list I've shown previously have been a recent progress and what to do next list...and not an absolute "To do" list. Hopefully this list includes what I know actually needs doing:

Layout boards:
Backboards yet to have cut-outs done for track & Tamar Bridge; boards to be surfaced with cotton sheet and image applied using tee-shirt iron-on transfers ( already bought).
More lights needed & quick-release fittings needed. Lights to be powered from as few power supplies as possible.
Shelf for PC/Pi yet to be made (posts already printed).

Trackwork:
Some more work on ensuring free-running of traverser operation needed. To fit stop to traverser.
Track not yet tested.....to progress at an appropriate time. Clean track, check points, etc, & test run train.

Electrics & Automation:
Existing script requires testing. Additional scripts to determine and write/test.
Raspberry Pi to set up with JRMI & test operation capabilities. (Fallback to laptop if necessary.

Scenery:
Complete fitting and glue down road sections to foam.
Complete fitting of buildings into scenery foam. Plymouth side requires large amount of foam removing.
Number of trees required to be estimated and trees made & fitted
Beaches on both sides to be laid down.
Water surface to be painted.

Royal Albert Bridge:
Complete painting of bridge girderwiork
Both end piers are still to be final fitted.
Small retaining piece on Plymouth end pier requires refitting.

Tamar Bridge:
Spring wire for cables needs cutting to length and fitting.
Drop wires require measuring, bending & soldering to main cable.
A number of drive chain links yet sections printed...another 600 needed.
Commissioning of drive track to be completed…initially with drive units back-to-back, then with bridge deck included.
Transport board to be established....probably using back section of layout board with lightweight cover.
Reinforcement to deck to girder frames may be needed.

Rolling stock:
DCC chips to fit to 800/3 set.
Class 150 DMU - DCC chip to fit to one unit.
Class 170....two shells require printing & decals to design. To use existing 170 power units.
To decide on freight loco & wagons at a later stage. Aim is to have a minimum of four trains set up and running under automation control.....

Mics items, set:
Appx 140 cars & vans printed. More cars, vans & lorries/buses needed. All require painting!
Already have a number of people...to identify more as required.
Transport rig for layout and track sections, etc to be determined.
Trailer to be serviced/refurbished by JB. Cover needed.
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Today's progress is hardly visible....but I have the first three road sections fixed down to the scenery.
IMG_4160_red.JPG
IMG_4160_red.JPG (122.4 KiB) Viewed 2298 times
I just need to wait for the glue to set and I can knife through the overlapped joins between the sections, and glue them down and seal the ends to stop ingress of moisture...which would make the printer ink smudge! You can see the overlaps showing as small gaps.
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

2020 seems to be unravelling!

The Newbury MRC show has been cancelled and the invite moved to the 2021 show.

The Crich Models Weekend is looking very doubtful at the moment....95% chance of being cancelled.

The Locomotion site (part of the NRM) is currently closed (like Crich), and may not be open in a state to allow the show to go ahead....
Doug Kightley

gbtrains

Post by gbtrains »

HI Doug

Sorry to hear that the shows are or due to be cancelled. :( :o
Was looking forward in seeing you at Crich but I am sure there will be other chances.

Well your Saltash is looking very good indeed and you should be very proud of yourself of building such a fine layout.
Hope to see it when it is allcompleted. :D

Regards
Graham

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

A single photo for the time being to show current progress:
IMG_4184_red.JPG
IMG_4184_red.JPG (169.16 KiB) Viewed 970 times
This section is ready for application of shrubbery, fences and trees....and eventually, some street furniture and clutter!
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Woke up very early this morning and couldn't get back to sleep, so......first batch of trees drip-drying:
IMG_4185_red.JPG
IMG_4185_red.JPG (157.2 KiB) Viewed 893 times
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

The Covid-19 toll continues....

Crich Tramway Village Models Weekend has now been cancelled...which means the first outing for the layout will now be the Shildon show in October.....provided of course that it's not a casualty as well!

This now takes the pressure off the build....and will aloow me to spend some time over the summer on other things....
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

And the third and only remaining show for 2020 has now been cancelled.....which now means my new target date for completion of the layout is a week or so into the new year of 2021.

This now gives me six months to get things finished and ready to roll!!
Doug Kightley