Wider sleeper track joiner

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.
Tomda8

Wider sleeper track joiner

Post by Tomda8 »

Hello everyone !

I’m a T gauge newbie (but long time ho enthusiast) and just received my first set of flexitrack, the « wider sleeper » type. I don’t know if there’s something I don’t get, but the included rail joiners don’t seem to be a good fit... Has anyone here also used these tracks ?
Here’s a pic of how they fit, the gap between to tracks is way to wide :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dkightley

Re: Wider sleeper track joiner

Post by dkightley »

Welcome to the forum....and the whacky world of T!.

The problem here is that TGauge.com have pursuaded the suppliers to make a flexitrack section with wide spaced sleepers.....but not managed to get matching track joiners.

There's a simple way of resolving this.....and a slightly harder way of getting something that looks a little better.

Firstly, using wire cutters from underneath the track, cut off the very end sleeper. You might be able to use a sharp modelling knife instead....but just cut the sleeper off.....it only needs doing on one side as its a sort of zig-zag! This will allow the rail to fit further into the jointer.

To try and improve the appearance (as there'll be a big gap in the sleepers) you could cut back both the sleeper plastic and the ends of the rails so you get a better gap with the actual joint half way across the joiner.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

Tomda8

Re: Wider sleeper track joiner

Post by Tomda8 »

Thanks a lot ! At first I was afraid I didn't get the right joiners... so I do have to alter them in order to work. I hope Tgauge will adress this in the future, even I'm not sure if this kind of track is popular enough.