Zn30 Victorian Narrow Gauge

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.
martink

Zn30 Victorian Narrow Gauge

Post by martink »

In addition to Penzance, I have several unrelated projects on the go at the moment. One is some experiments with trains in unusual (to me) scales and prototypes, exploring the limits of what the linear motor track system can handle, trying out ideas for next year's layout.

The first of these involves upsizing my 1:350 scale Puffing Billy models to 1:220 scale (Zn30), with a nominal track gauge of 3.5mm. A simple resize, a bit of extra window detail, and a quick and dirty paint job and they came out OK (for test builds). The larger size means I was even able to resurrect two models that didn't work in 1:350 due to interference between the coupler pockets and low floors. These are very definitely the maximum size and weight I can handle, but they do run successfully. After dealing with pure T gauge for years they seem enormous! I am currently working on a properly articulated version of the Garratt, but don't hold high hopes.

DSCI0289a.jpg
DSCI0287a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martink

Re: Zn30 Victorian Narrow Gauge

Post by martink »

Well, contrary to expectations, the Garratt turned out nicely. And it runs well. Not so happy with the open-structure NBH carriages however - I need to find a better way of handling the roofs, but that is what these test builds are for. They are certainly good enough to use for a layout, which is what I wanted to know, so on to the next trial...
DSCI0293a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.