Seen Better days

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.
westernsultan

Seen Better days

Post by westernsultan »

Text Aug 2020
Seen Better days is hopefully going to be a n gauge miniature railway in a park using T gauge as the miniature railway. Today the track was built on a spare table and my new class 67 locomotive ran to check it out. Although it ran well, it struggled to pull 2 MKI coaches around the small radius curves. By contrast my garden railway locomotive seems to have more power but constantly uncoupled.
I’m going to have to have a rethink and probably will need to get rid of the long spur siding, so that I can increase the track radius – not a good start.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

westernsultan

Re: Seen Better days

Post by westernsultan »

Having bought more T gauge track this is the third and final track plan for my N gauge miniature railway. It just fits in the space available. The class 67 pulls 3 MK1 coaches around the oval, but struggles with 4 so should pull a couple of miniature railway coaches if I can build them. I'm now going to have to change the plans for the original N gauge scenery I had in mind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

westernsultan

Post by westernsultan »

So here's the first picture of my N gauge miniature railway using the track plan from this morning

westernsultan

Post by westernsultan »

So here we are at the start of September with most of the scenery in place and chassis sent to a friend to see if he can build me some miniature railway carriages.

westernsultan

Post by westernsultan »

I have been running round the class 67 and 2 carriages without their bodies which will become miniature railway carriages for this N gauge scene in due course. Also a good opportunity to move buildings around to see which I like best

westernsultan

Post by westernsultan »

So my customised N gauge miniature carriages arrived this morning and here are 2 pictures of them being tested. I'll put more details on the customised rolling stock thread
IMG_1728.JPG
IMG_1725.JPG

westernsultan

Post by westernsultan »

some test formation - different locomotive

DanMacK

Post by DanMacK »

Nice looking layout! Is the bus a motion simulator ride?

westernsultan

Post by westernsultan »

The bus is meant to be a simulator brought in to thrill people by pretending to be a bus going downhill out of control, but as you can see it's closed due to lack of customers. It's a N gauge 1:150 3D model from Outland models based in China and available on Ebay. Apart from the miniature railway all the scenery is N gauge. For the bus I left on some of the bits of plastic and aded more so it looked like a simulator. Then added some N gauge fencing, and painted it - glad you like the layout - I've always wanted to make a N gauge miniature railway but the carriages have always been the sticking point.

westernsultan

Post by westernsultan »

we have passengers including some lads who refuse to take their feet off the seats

westernsultan

Post by westernsultan »

That's the layout finished - just need to put some plastic side panels to stop fingers encroaching onto the layout. I've just written an article about the layout for the N Gauge Society which I hope the journal editor will use next year thanks for the interest and stay safe

westernsultan

Post by westernsultan »

Here's a picture of the completed layout with no where to go. An American outline locomotive is expected to operate on the line at Xmas, I understand it's already nearby. My friend is going to build 2 more bespoke N gauge miniature railways carriages but we are not expecting them to arrive until next year. The 3 wheels make the layout unstable so will be trying to solve that before it goes anywhere.
IMG_1793.JPG

westernsultan

Post by westernsultan »

American diesel has arrived - we had to cancel our Xmas running event due to Covid 19 restrictions. The engine was tested today and will indefinitely be staying with us and "Anyone for T". We have no dates for when the miniature railway will run again next but 2 more bespoke carriages are being produced.
IMG_1803.JPG

westernsultan

Post by westernsultan »

Today with the easing of lockdown my N Gauge miniature railway "Seen Better Days" left home for the first time, not to attend an exhibition but to have a plastic lid made for it. At the same time we tried how easy it would be to load into the car and did the trip deliberately over sleeping policeman to see if it did any damage. The results were one N gauge figure went for a walk, but was recovered the American locomotive became unstuck and the lid will be ready in about 7 days.

In other news Malcolm Hall is building me 2 more miniature carriages on T gauge chassis. One has a faulty set of wheels so is ideal for placing on the siding. Stability of the layout when operating remains a problem due to the 3 wheel configuration at its base, but I have some ideas on how to improve on that.

There are no plans currently to exhibit the layout this year, but that may change
IMG_1829.JPG