2019 Christmas Update......

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.
dkightley

2019 Christmas Update......

Post by dkightley »

I wasn't intending to post anything such as this.....but having been persuaded by having consumed a bottle of wine this evening as part of my pre-Christmas reflection on life and other matters, I feel compelled to do something before the alcohol declines from my system...

2019..or should I say the last month or so of 2019 hasn't been that kind to me....having been asked by my doctor earlier this month "Have you any holidays booked over the next few weeks?". A very sobering question, indeed. The short story is that I've had a bit of a scare health-wise. A blood test indicated that I may have Prostate cancer...and fortunately, a subsequent MRI scan showed I was in fact clear of any signs. A scare that took a couple of weeks to recover from. What a good NHS system we have in the UK!

Now Christmas is here, and with 2020 fast approaching, I can look forward to 2020 with renewed vigour! 2019 saw me place The Bridge into a state of semi-retirement so as to allow me to concentrate efforts on The Bridges at Saltash....which after having taken a good look at progress, I'm happy to say is well on target for being ready for showing mid-year....and in fact I've already agreed an appearance at what is now my "home" event...the Models Weekend at the Tramway Museum at Crich in August.

Looking at the wider hobby, I have to admit to being somewhat concerned at the lack of posting on the forum....and even the lack of activity on the Talking T Gauge Facebook page. Either T gauge enthusiasts are a secretive or non-talkative lot....or interest in the gauge has tailed off considerably, something that raises questions for the future of the forum. The very slow development of new products from the two main suppliers either confirms my observations....or is the cause of the decline in interest in the first place. Of course, I am hoping that the legacy of The Bridge will show in interest from exhibition organisers in inviting The Bridges at Saltash to shows over the next year or so...and put T gauge back into the public eye.

Having said that, I'm somewhat disheartened at the (to me) perceived divide between this forum and the Facebook page...there are few Facebook group users who are forum members...certainly many are not members here! Perhaps discussion forums are becoming the thing of the past and media such as Facebook is the "in thing". Personally, I am not a fan of Facebook for in-depth discussion and a home for advice and guidance on a hobby. It is fine for current "chit-chat" and gossip....but not for accumulating information, etc. on hobbies.

Where this leaves things for the TTG forum for 2020 I do not know. Perhaps the forum will fade away....perhaps it will endure. I will continue funding it from sales from the TTG shop for the foreseeable future...but if income or forum activity falls off I will have to consider the unspeakable!

Moving on to a brighter subject, may I wish all forum members a Happy Christmas ( or Happy Holiday as appropriate), and wish everyone a prosperous New year...and lets look forward and see what 2020 has in store.....
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

martink

Re: 2019 Christmas Update......

Post by martink »

Well, Doug, Merry Christmas and such back at you... I'm glad things have turned out alright in the end. I am waiting to see Saltash finished, and would be greatly disappointed if real life intervened!

As for this site and general T Gauge activity issues, I can toss in my 10c worth. I generally only post when I have something interesting to show or in response to a direct question, and while I look from time to time I am not active on Facebook since I find it much too intrusive. On a forum you can control your depth of engagement.

With T Gauge in general (and this is obviously just my opinion), it is still not a fully functional scale, mainly due to the reliability issues and the lack of decent points. The recently released new products are very nice, but they do not significantly improve the situation. The track cleaner is obviously an attempt to do so, but I find the wheels to be more of a problem than the tracks. And the new 08 will just make the problem worse! I got part way into my Blea Moor layout and then dithered for most of a year, put off by the looming maintenance headaches of a large layout with a large stable of trains. That is why I eventually changed direction completely and dived into the linear motor stuff instead - its potential for very high reliability, easy automation and plentiful trains overrides the technology's significant drawbacks.

NCSophie

Re: 2019 Christmas Update......

Post by NCSophie »

dkightley wrote:...Having said that, I'm somewhat disheartened at the (to me) perceived divide between this forum and the Facebook page...there are few Facebook group users who are forum members...certainly many are not members here! Perhaps discussion forums are becoming the thing of the past and media such as Facebook is the "in thing". Personally, I am not a fan of Facebook for in-depth discussion and a home for advice and guidance on a hobby. It is fine for current "chit-chat" and gossip....but not for accumulating information, etc. on hobbies...
I enjoy Facebook for its "right now" aspect, it's a great way to stop in and say "Hi" or to see some quick pictures of layouts and events (or grandchildren) but not so much as a way to follow someone's construction of their layout.
Sophie B
Dismal Creek Railroad