Dauntsey

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.
martink

Re: Dauntsey

Post by martink »

A bit more progress on the scenery - trees, hedges and a bit of a cleanup. I was going to do the fences, but as they are quite delicate they will be delayed until the final detailing phase at the end of the project. So, now it is back to the moving bits...
DSCI0053a.jpg
DSCI0049a.jpg
DSCI0055a.jpg

martink

Post by martink »

With most of the scenery done, it is now time for the moving bits. The canal is the first part to be brought up to its near-final form, with a small fleet of 8 narrowboats and improved software.

https://youtu.be/2VCJt3OyS1I

martink

Post by martink »

I have had a couple of people ask me how the canal lock works, so here are a couple of CAD images. Both the scenic bits and the working parts are 3D printed, and the whole thing is driven by 3 servos. The structure and supports were designed for 5 servos to handle the more common double gates, but that was just getting too crowded. The assembled view gives the green elevator piece stretched legs to show how it all fits together.

Progress is continuing on the layout itself, with the trains currently under construction. The locos (19 of 10 classes) and passenger stock (63 of 19 types including milk tankers) are nearly finished, and I am plucking up courage to start the goods wagons (180-200 in total). These figures should be about 20% more than I actually need, but allows some choice when setting up trains and sequences. Why oh why didn't I pick a one-train-a-day branch line?

With this one nearing completion, I have pretty much settled on the basic concept for layout #4 - Penzance circa 1913 on a 6' x 2' board. This will feature basic terminal operation including the small loco depot and turntable that closed the following year, running to an out-and-back reversing loop. I can even fit in most of the long-vanished Penzance viaduct. And, most importantly, reuse a lot of the new GWR stock!

lock-1.jpg
lock-2.jpg

FreddBloggs

Post by FreddBloggs »

Looking excellent, did you make the points yourself or?

martink

Post by martink »

FreddBloggs wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:14 pm
... did you make the points yourself or?
Points, track, trains, controls, scenery, all DIY. It isn't standard T, so not commercially available.

martink

Post by martink »

Here is a representative parade of the new passenger trains. Now I have to start on the goods trains...

https://youtu.be/Vx8ANnJ3u94

FreddBloggs

Post by FreddBloggs »

Love the video, did you make the coach sides as a sticker/decal or painted on?

And if a sticker/decal would they be available to other people?

martink

Post by martink »

The coach sides are just plain paper, printed out on a standard inkjet printer and glued on.

I posted some of the images in an earlier thread: "GWR Steam" in the "Rolling Stock" category.

FreddBloggs

Post by FreddBloggs »

Thank you.

msimister

Post by msimister »

Great stuff Martin. Very impressive.

martink

Post by martink »

About 2/3rds of the planned goods wagons have now been built. This is enough to run the layout, but with shorter trains than it is designed to handle. I'll do the rest at the very end of the project. They are built the same way as the buildings and passenger stock: simple 3D printed body shells, roof and underframes hand-painted, with paper sides for the detailing. I tried decals, but this approach proved more effective. One of the big advantages of the linear motor drive is that it can run very long trains. One of the big disadvantages is that I then have to build them! Next step: the software, bringing it all to life.

https://youtu.be/SFjZZBc5erU