The next train arriving at Platform One is.....

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.
dkightley

The next train arriving at Platform One is.....

Post by dkightley »

.....delayed for a few days!

I've been experimenting with some new items of rolling stock that I think will be of interest to those who are modelling modern UK layouts.........but I'm not at the right point to go public on what they are at the moment. When I'm ready, I guarantee there will be a level of excitement........ ;) ;)

So, it's......watch this space! 8-)
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

dkightley

Re: The next train arriving at Platform One is.....

Post by dkightley »

Here's a peek.........
P1010784_red.JPG
P1010784_red.JPG (36.78 KiB) Viewed 14603 times
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

Towers

Post by Towers »

Ooooo. Is that 3D printed and coloured as part of the 3d printing process??? That would open up a world of possibilities for T!

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Not quite. Colour 3D printing in fine detail is a long way off at present...

The carriage is 3D printed.....but what you're seeing is something quite different.

Whoops!. Have I given the game away?? ;)

Unfortunately, I'm struggling to get printer time for these developments.....so it'll be a few days before I can do a big reveal.
Doug Kightley

NeilM

Post by NeilM »

Watching this one very closely to find out more!

Printing of 3d printed items is currently possible from Shapeways, and I have used it for N scale road vehicles, but as you say it is nowhere near good enough yet for T scale due to a low resolution and overly large minimum detail size and wall thickness on the material used. A way to get this work down to the accuracy needed for T gauge stock will be very interesting.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

I'm intrigued....it looks a lot like a printed shell (can you print onto a 3D printed model?). Whatever it is I'll be following with interest. Now the question, is it a mk3 coach or a class 180? ;)

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Unfortunately, I'm still struggling to get printer time to finish off these developments.

I'm getting near the end of printing three large orders for the TTG shop that came in on the same day.....and it just has to be when one of my printers is out of action awaiting a spare part. I had an unattended print fail big time that resulted in a golf ball sized blob of plastic encasing the print head - and removing it damaged the heater & thermocouple!
Now the question, is it a mk3 coach or a class 180?
What a good question? ;)
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Okay......here we go........

I've been working on the first couple of what I'm hoping to be a range of 3D printed modern units. Powered units are designed to fit the nearest appropriately sized power unit and coaches are designed to fit onto the 18 - 23M adjustable chassis. The first two in the range are....and I apologise for the low quality of the photos, which were taken in artificial light by a lousy photographer!:
P1010800_red.JPG
P1010800_red.JPG (87.2 KiB) Viewed 14512 times
The class 170 Turbostar two or three car set, and....
P1010803_red.JPG
P1010803_red.JPG (94.76 KiB) Viewed 14512 times
The class 180 Adelante five car set.

I intend making these two....and others to follow....available in the Talking T Gauge shop. They will be available printed in plain white and are designed to have colour schemes applied using decals. I will be making available generic decal files that can be coloured in the appropriate company livery and printed directly onto decal paper, either using an inkjet or laser printer.

Here's a few more equally bad photos showing some more details of these two units:
P1010801_red.JPG
P1010801_red.JPG (101.49 KiB) Viewed 14512 times
P1010809_red.JPG
P1010809_red.JPG (82.81 KiB) Viewed 14512 times
P1010804_red.JPG
P1010804_red.JPG (100.49 KiB) Viewed 14512 times
P1010808_red.JPG
P1010808_red.JPG (90.3 KiB) Viewed 14512 times
Having looked at these shots a bit closer......I think the nose of the 170 needs a bit more work!! :roll:
Doug Kightley

Kupzinger

Post by Kupzinger »

Wow! what a train. The decals look great on your 3d printed base! Maybe it is worth to try using a primer and some sand paper as Joe did with his Hudson steam locomotive. The white primer takes away the plastic look and is maybe a better basing for the decal. But, nevertheless, this is a great approach! Congratulations!!!

Cheers
Kupzinger

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

These are, without doubt, my favourite modern DMU's. I will certainly be ordering! Fantastic additions!

Can I put in a request too? Any chance you can stretch the 170 so I can model a class 357 that runs through my hometown in glorious Essex? I'm about half way through drawing one up but you've basically beaten me to it! ;)

(also the nose of the 170 looks okay to me...it's a pain to model anyway)

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Thanks for the comments....

I'm currently awaiting some laser printer transfer paper to try out. The transfer material I used on the above units was the inkjet printer paper....which you have to coat with lacquer before wetting to stop the ink from running.

I've had mixed success over the past few days with the inkjet paper. It's very sensitive to the lacquer. Put on too little and the transfer stretches very easily; put on too much and it doesn't comply well with the surface; leave the lacquer to dry too long and it tends to crack/tear very easily. Also, take too long to position the transfer and things go wrong very fast...the edge curls under and stick to the back of the transfer permanently!....and you have to abort. I'm hoping the laser transfer paper will be more consistent to use and go on easier!

What I'm planning to do is to put the shells on sale in the shop and make multi-layer generic livery decal files available to download so customers can download and create their favourite livery on decals to apply themselves. I'll provide general guidance instructions on how to modify the design and print and apply the transfers. I'll probably also make the transfer files I've developed for my own use freely available for download at a later date.

And the 170 will easily convert to a 357.....I'll add it to the list. I've already modded the 170's nose to make it look better. As soon as I can get a decent transfer to apply, I'll put up a photo.
Doug Kightley

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

Thanks Doug! Appreciate that! Let me know if you want and of the previous designs I've drawn up in sketchup to have a play around with. I appreciate it's probably easier to start from scratch than amend a previously drawn model. If you're interested I have a class 158 (or 159), 450 (so also 350), 444 (stretched version of the 450), 220 (so also 221,222) and 313 (314,315). I never got as far as a test print/fit but they are all designed around an adjustable chassis and there seems to be some success on here with the class 158. Let me know!

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

The laser transfer paper arrived this morning......and a first trial of this paper was encouraging.

Firstly, the consistency of the transfers is guaranteed as there's no variable caused by applying a layer of lacquer. The surface of the transfer is matt...as opposed to whatever finish the lacquer has. But most importantly, I found the transfers far easier to apply...no tendency to curl, and once I adopted a confident approach, applying was quite straight forward. Not easy.....but with practise, not too daunting!

Photos to follow once the transfers have dried fully and the shells finished off with a splash of matt black on the underside and ends.
Doug Kightley

gbtrains

Post by gbtrains »

Hi Doug
Keep up the good work on the 3d printer UK rolling stock.

Can not wait till they come out. :lol:

Regards
Graham

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Having taken a set of both the class 170s and 180s to the Elizabethan show I was able to do some test running......which was not good! Both sets ran okay on the straights, but both derailed on running round the run-around loops.

To test things further I've had to put together a test running track...something I've never had, and now I can test all of my rolling stock as I develop it!!!...rather than having to wait for me to assemble a layout!

Running these sets on the test track has highlighted that I've not left enough clearance around the bogies and couplings, resulting in the bogies being prevented from turning and individual power cars/carriages jump off the track!! I'm currently going through a rehash of the 170 power unit shell to mod it so the couplings are not fouled. Progress over the next week or so will unfortunately be hampered due to family commitments.
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

First set of v2 shells in white on the printer as I type. Had ran out of white a week or so ago and the order took longer to arrive than expected....

May not the chance to test run them until nearer the weekend. :( :( If they run okay, I'll need to adjust the decal files slightly...and then do the whole process for the 180s.
Doug Kightley

gbtrains

Post by gbtrains »

Hi Doug

Can not wait for them to be on the Taking T Gauge Shop.

Do you think that you can do decals for the class 180 in Trans-Pennine (blue)Livery?

regards

Graham

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

I've now got the 170 shells fitting well and not fouling when running.....and printing consistently, which is good.

I still need to check the fit of the decal masters before I put them in the shop.....but I'm still struggling to get time to get this done due to other commitments. Who says you have nothing to do once you retire????
Doug Kightley

gbtrains

Post by gbtrains »

Hi Doug

Ya no what you mean.

I will wait for them to be placed on the Talking tgauge website .
Do you know what you might be retaining them at for non transfers and tranfers models?

regards
Graham

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

I've not done any pricing up for these sets yet......but they'll only be available in freshly printed white PLA with no decals supplied.

As I've stated on an earlier post, I will be making available a download of a master decal design for each shell type that can be easily modified to create your favourite livery. I'll be providing a guide on how to mod the files...and some notes on applying the decals once printed on stock decal paper.

I've adopted this approach so I can easily bring the shells to market without any delays due to copyright and permission issues for the array of liveries out there.

The decal image files can be easily edited using 2D graphics programs that are either cheap or are freeware, and then printed using any fairly modern inkjet or laser printer on water-slide decal paper. The decals can then be applied to the shells and "fixed" if required with varnish...although inkjet printed decals will need to be sealed before applying to stop the ink from running.
Doug Kightley