My T gauge addiction

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.
JoeMalinchak

Re: My T gauge addiction

Post by JoeMalinchak »

I like the idea of using magnetic couplers! I will have to try it. I also like your work on your barn! Great job.

Joe.

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

Thanks Joe.....I've been following the work that you've been doing with your rolling stock with great interest >>>It's nothing short of spectacular!>>>and is so informative>>> a real inspiration....Thanks again....
RE: the magnetic couplers....I'll try to post some photos of my technique so far....under the ROLLING STOCK heading

JoeMalinchak

Post by JoeMalinchak »

I have some interesting projects planned, and I will do my best to share my techniques will everyone.
I will be following your progress with the magnetic couplers!

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

Sorry, I actually posted the magnetic coupler data & photos in the Tips & tricks section....

JoeMalinchak

Post by JoeMalinchak »

I did see that no problem!

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

Maybe I should call this post "Another thing wrong with the switches"
I've added 3 more power connections to the main line down stream so to speak from the switches....Originally the main line had just 1 power connection and the trains would run at one speed until they got to a switch; as soon as they passed the switch they would run at a slower speed>Approximately half the main line was getting power directly from the connection the other half was getting power through those little brass tab & spring things in the switches......
DSCN1403_01.JPG
DSCN1403_01.JPG (93.54 KiB) Viewed 10557 times
2 of the sections on the main line have on off switches giving me several more places to park trains....
Happy to report that I've been testing it and the trains are now running the same speed all the way round the track

NOTE: I wish people weren't so shy about posting stuff on this site....Although I must confess I'm a little shy myself because a lot of the people posting are on such a high level of modeling.....But still I have so much fun reading about what others are doing in T gauge I just can't wait to see more posts....

NeilM

Post by NeilM »

Yes, extra feeds are needed to ensure that there are not voltage drops and power losses around the track.

Even in larger scales, where there is more contact area in the points, many modeller still add extra switched wiring to feed through the points rather than rely on the point blades for electrical continuity.

Also, even the regular rail joiners can suffer a small voltage drop on each one, which can build up on a large circuit.

So, with the above, and although it complicates what initially looks like a simple wiring task, you can never have too many power feeds. It is not a fault with T, it happens in all scales. Glad you got it sorted in the end.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

work'n on schemes for arranging uncouplers on my layout(RED "u"s).....the green "c"s are supposed to represent train cars.... :roll:
DSCN1403_01.JPG
DSCN1403_01.JPG (66.62 KiB) Viewed 10518 times

NeilM

Post by NeilM »

I am watching the work on couplings and uncouplers with interest. All the layouts I have recently built in other scales have been shunting layouts, and whilst I like the ability of T gauge to easily represent a long mainline run I would also like to be able to replicate some of the workings of my shunting layouts as well.
Neil

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

At this stage it's sort of impressionistic shunting.... ;)
But still really fun...

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

I'll try and take some photos of the uncoupler up grade using a thin carbon fiber rod....(tomorrow ) it's way past my bed time here..(-.-)zzzzzzz

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

Just an update on my layout. I'm kind of shy about posting because the stuff people are doing on this site is so professional. But I'm hope'n it might encourage others to go ahead and go for it....
I've added a fork lift (well as long as you don't look too closely). I made it from a very ground down Z gauge tractor and some pieces of one of those paper cranes Allen sells on Tgauge.com
DSCN1574_01.JPG
DSCN1574_01.JPG (138.64 KiB) Viewed 11528 times
We really need some Tgauge equipment.....dozers, loaders and such....

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Hi Martin

Your layout is looking very nice :) :) :) ...you should post more photos of it.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

NeilM

Post by NeilM »

Seconded. As a first class procrastinator I do like to see layouts built to a good level of completion. Anything which can inspire me to actually get on and do something has to be good, and whilst I seem to have no problem turning out parts - wagons, boxcar, road vehicles, buildings etc - actually getting on with my layout seems to keep getting away from me!
Neil

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

It's Matt but Thanks for the kind words anyway....Doug.&..Neil.....

JoeMalinchak

Post by JoeMalinchak »

That is a great photo! You are doing great work on your layout.

Joe.

martink

Post by martink »

It is a nice little scene. It is all about how it looks from a distance, certainly no closer than from the edge of the layout, and - as your photo shows - it looks great from that distance. Now all you need is a backscene. :D

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

yes, a backscene would be nice ....but for now the layout spends most of its time stacked upright in the corner of the studio....our place is just too small.....another reason you gota love the T.. :P

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

I'm making some crude attempts at kit bashing some equipment that looks the right size next to the T gauge trucks and cars......
DSCN1894_01.JPG
DSCN1894_01.JPG (85.87 KiB) Viewed 11290 times
The Shapeway stuff is good looking, but it just looks too big next to the T gauge vehicles......I know it says it's T gauge (and Stoney made the grader 38% smaller) but it still just seems too big......

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

Put some cows on the train set..... :lol:
DSCN1965_01.JPG
DSCN1965_01.JPG (522.61 KiB) Viewed 1350 times