Introductions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.
Webskipper

Introductions

Post by Webskipper »

I'm Philip from the original site and enjoy fine scale modeling.

I received my first T set and 103 a year ago at Christmas and just started a dry run for a real layout today. Always made weekend layouts.

To prevent the cat from enjoying my T while I'm sleeping or at work (in between days off), I used foam board to build a 5 sided box that I can easily work in or cut the packaging tape to better access it. The box is mock up of an Ntrak module that will be made of wood and foam to fit into the hatchback and to enjoy at home.

It's a forced perspective scene really, with 1:160 bridges up top and a 1:450 below. It'll make you think you are flying at an altitude of about 180 feet to view the T world like that.

First challenge is the T tracks with inclines just right. The empty 120mm track tubes make great elevation supports. :)
It's alright to be itty bitty, runnin' itty bitty trains around an itty bitty city.

PKPclassET22

Re: Introductions

Post by PKPclassET22 »

On the original site, I was PKP_EN57, and was more of an occasional visitor towards the end. When I found out that the site was no longer being updated, and the old Talking T Gauge forum was gone, I was truly shocked, and even more so when I read why.

But I'm still working on the same project I've been on for the last 3 years. It isn't anything big or fancy, just had some issue planning on how to actually get certain things done within a small budget. It's great to see some of the familiar faces around here though!

ConnorL

Post by ConnorL »

Welcome! I remember two of you! It's nice seeing you again, let us know how your progress go!

I am wondering if we all can let other users who are involved or interested in T-Gauge and inform them that there is a forum here?

Or can we ask David if he could put a link of this forum onto his website so people won't be redirected to a closed/shutdown forum.

PKPclassET22

Post by PKPclassET22 »

ConnorL wrote:Welcome! I remember two of you! It's nice seeing you again, let us know how your progress go!

I am wondering if we all can let other users who are involved or interested in T-Gauge and inform them that there is a forum here?

Or can we ask David if he could put a link of this forum onto his website so people won't be redirected to a closed/shutdown forum.
Yeah, David putting up a link would be helpful. Do wonder if he'd go and do it, reading the blog, it seems like he's likely not going to want to touch any of that stuff for a while, if at all.

Of course, I found myself trying to see if there were any English language groups around, had to do some jumping, found a blog that directed me to the TTG facebook group, and either through that or the same blog, found my way into this forum. I don't know how many folks will go through that much trouble though, I'll do my best to share with anyone interested.

JoostV

Post by JoostV »

The forum being found using google would help. I did the same breadcrumb trail as ConnorL
Cheers,
Joost

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

The forum being found using google would help.
Click on these links and then decide if the above is true!:
https://www.google.co.uk/#filter=0&q=si ... tgauge.net
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=t+gauge+forum
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=t+gauge+joining+flexitrack
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=t+gauge+sd70m

The Bot from Google (and Bing's bot as well) haunts the forum on a daily basis....so I can't see where the idea of the forum not being found by a Google search has come from.

Of course, if you have trouble finding references to things that haven't been discussed on the forum yet......then there's a simple answer. "If it ain't there, it can't be found!"

If anyone gets a sense I'm slightly narked...I have to admit to being "guilty as charged". The forum's hasn't been going for more than 2 months, there's only 35 threads and around 280 posts...so there's not a lot to index. And it takes time....and posts (surprisingly!)...to get the forum easier to find.

When I set the forum up, Alan Ramsey kindly put a link in the next TGauge.com newsletter he sent out....which helped direct some users to us. Its up to us all to help spread the word.
Don't let me stop anyone....

In the meantime, I'll have a look round and see if I can find any tips on increasing awarenes via search engines.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

PKPclassET22

Post by PKPclassET22 »

dkightley wrote:
The forum being found using google would help.
Click on these links and then decide if the above is true!:
https://www.google.co.uk/#filter=0&q=si ... tgauge.net
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=t+gauge+forum
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=t+gauge+joining+flexitrack
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=t+gauge+sd70m

The Bot from Google (and Bing's bot as well) haunts the forum on a daily basis....so I can't see where the idea of the forum not being found by a Google search has come from.

Of course, if you have trouble finding references to things that haven't been discussed on the forum yet......then there's a simple answer. "If it ain't there, it can't be found!"

If anyone gets a sense I'm slightly narked...I have to admit to being "guilty as charged". The forum's hasn't been going for more than 2 months, there's only 35 threads and around 280 posts...so there's not a lot to index. And it takes time....and posts (surprisingly!)...to get the forum easier to find.

When I set the forum up, Alan Ramsey kindly put a link in the next TGauge.com newsletter he sent out....which helped direct some users to us. Its up to us all to help spread the word.
Don't let me stop anyone....

In the meantime, I'll have a look round and see if I can find any tips on increasing awarenes via search engines.
As usual, I'll do my best to let folks interested in T Gauge on the diecast aircraft forums to have a look see around here as well. Might not result in members immediately, but it is worth a try.

JoostV

Post by JoostV »

Indeed no longer true... Google search finds the forum now :)
Downside of being early on the new forum I guess...
Cheers

scottmitchell74

Post by scottmitchell74 »

My name is Scott. I live in Abilene, Texas. I've been an N-Scaler for the last 15 or so years and have split-era theme on my layout. One half is 80's with Conrail and CSX and a representing my childhood growing up in a trailer park. The other half is a late 50's city scene with a Minor league baseball ballpark as the main theme and B&O and C&O as the road names.

I recently became very interested in T-gauge and I'm in the planning stages of a T-gauge layout.

jesse6669

Post by jesse6669 »

Welcome on board Scott, glad to see another US prototype modeler! I'm modelling Chessie-era and will be posting progress on a small "roundy round" layout and my rolling stock here and on my blog (Jesse's T-gauge Models).

rvn2001

Post by rvn2001 »

Hi Everybody!
My name is Thom Welsch. I live in the St. Louis, Missouri area of the United States. I've been modeling trains in Z scale since Marklin introduced it here in 1972. I've got Z-Bend Track modules that I take to shows with other members of the MidweZt HaulerZ, a Z scale module group that I helped start. We provide a handout at the shows with the different scales listed. I started playing with T gauge shortly after the 103s came out. I wasn't really thrilled with the performance but built a small layout with an airport someone gave me in the center. I had heard about the new PWM controller and trains so I bought a new set and the performance has really improved. We keep getting asked about T gauge layouts when we do shows so I decided to build a new layout. I'm waiting for my shipment from Trainaidsa and Shapeways to get started. I've already got 2 starter sets and some extra track I bought a while ago including 2 manual switches. I'm looking forward to building this new layout.

Thom Welsch

SmallCentral

Post by SmallCentral »

Hello everyone,

I m new on this forum and this is why I would like to introduce myself. I am French, my name is Eric and I live in the south west near Toulouse. I'm sorry for my bad english .I have been modeling in US n scale for 4 years and modestly for 2 years in T gauge . I've experimented with handlaid tracks and turnouts. I will participat in an exibition in April and I will show a US modular layout. I've started doing some structures such as bridges and I am doing the plan. I will begin seriously the work in january.
I soon will open a topic .
Asap

Eric
T gauge 150 feet pratt truss bridge
T gauge 150 feet pratt truss bridge
20141124_211123.jpg (46.25 KiB) Viewed 16229 times

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Hi Thom and Eric

May I welcome both of you to the forum...and Eric, I'm not going to mind your English...it's much, much better than my French..which I have to admit is non existent!

Looks like we've two new layouts to look forward to being documented on the forum. A smashing start to 2015..... :D :D
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

Nutter

Post by Nutter »

New Member, Have a large collection of set track, Buildings, trees and 6 Original 103 sets in 4 colours. Also 3 full track packs with original controllers. Also have a few lengths of flextrack.
Built a basic layout using the 120mm track pack in an ali toolcase.
Not used it for a long time, have been involved in other scales Z, N, Nm3, 009,and now 09 since because when I was involved the 103s were the only trains available.

Would love one of the original Garden Railway sets but suspect they are like hens teeth now.

Mike
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.

ncdtrains

Post by ncdtrains »

I'm Todd, from Princeton, Indiana. Originally ncdtrains on the old forum. Into T gague, Z and N scales.

All about some american prototypes, just picked up a gp style loco from trainaidsa about to make it a nice NS loco.

Glad to be around and very happy to still see some decent activity in t gauge world. Some of the custom work I see is beyond impressive.

henningz
Location: Barsinghausen (It's near Hanover), Lower Saxony, Germany

Hello

Post by henningz »

Time to say hello :)

I'm Henning from Germany, and I didn't do any modelling for at least a lifetime. When I was young I built some landscapes with tanks and soldiers. On my search for a new indoor hobby I thought it should be something special. Then I found TGauge and I'm on this forum for seven weeks now, still fascinated. Our member Nutter sold me some track and rolling stock for the beginning. First thing I registered is that I'll need more light, a magnifier and smaller tools :)

Sorry for my English, but I will do my best in the discussions here...
printed on 100 percent recycled electrons

JoeMalinchak

Post by JoeMalinchak »

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, and TGauge. However, like many of you I have been modeling in Zscale for many years. Actually, I mainly model some of the worlds smallest R/C model aircraft. A few months ago a friend from work told me about TGauge and mentioned that is was 1/2 the size of Z! I it did not even know that the scale existed. I did some research and purchased a starter set. I was so empresses with it as sparked my interest in model railroading again.

This is a photo of my 4.5 inch wingspan Micro R/C electric ducted fan A10, and my 1/100 scale P-51 that I designed. They are made out of very thin foam, weigh around one gram each and fly well. You can see why I have an interest in TGauge as I love micro models. I helped develop a technique to print my graphics directly onto the foam. I plan on trying some of my design techniques for some interesting TGauge models. We will see how it goes!
Attachments
IMG_4527.JPG
IMG_4527.JPG (60.06 KiB) Viewed 15888 times
IMG_4519.JPG
IMG_4519.JPG (57.27 KiB) Viewed 15888 times

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

Whew, amazing!.....you've definitely come to the right place.... :P

WannaifIcould

Post by WannaifIcould »

Hello all,

I'm Craig, living in Melbourne, Australia.. (moving to the Rat soon), and I just found this forum a couple of days ago.
Does the term gobsmacked mean anything to anyone? Pretty much me when I discovered T gauge that led me to here.

My partner, Eliza, and I have decided to do a little experiment and build a tiny home for us and our 10 month old, (and counting), daughter Beatrix.. something like this..
and live in it whilst we build the real house. Naturally, in a space 7.2m x 2.5m there's not going to be room for even my little N gauge setup. I'd thought maybe I could sneak a little Z gauge layout in somewhere and THAT'S how I found you guys.

Loving the layouts on here. I'm hoping to learn how to do more effective scenery other than foam painted and basically flocked.
I'm impressed by the 3D printing stuff and almost convinced a mate to go halvies in one over a few beers the other night. Almost.

So, there you go, Mr Kightley, complete noobs to T gauge are finding your forum easily .. and loving it

Other than an interest in model railways, I'm into classic minis, (have one parked out the front), and alternative living. Although I'm not even close to being a hippy, I just figure there's a better way than spending most of my time, not sleeping, at work.

Anyway, nice to meet you guys and thanks for the reading so far

Cheers
Craig

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Hi Graig

Welcome to the forum....

You'll have to keep in touch if you do take the plunge and buy a 3D printer...although its not quite as real as the "Take it out the box and print anything you want!" pitch the marketing guys waffle on about. There is a lot to learn before you get to a point where you can print something good!

And I will follow your experiences with scenery creation with interest. I'm actually a novice...so will be on the look out for advice and ideas.

Doug
Doug Kightley