The Bridges at Saltash

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.
dkightley

Re: The Bridges at Saltash

Post by dkightley »

Having had a tidy up in the workshop (spare bedroom!) I've assembled the layout boards so I can get to a stage where I can actually run trains on the track!!

I'm working on finishing the electrical wiring loom.....rather than build the wiring into the boards and have joints in the wiring across board sections, I've gone for a car style wiring loom that I can simply unroll and lay round the back of the layout, behind the backdrop - a run of either six or eight wires. Two for track supply, two for CBUS, two for 12v power feed, and where needed, two for 5v power feed. The loom connects into the six electronics boxes via laptop power style plugs...and sensors connect to the boxes via RC servo leads and connectors.

Yesterday, I powered the electrics up for the first time. All sensor lights came on....and sensors tested out on all bar one of the boxes, which I need to take a look at. Once that is sorted, I can set up the point servo throws....and get parameter changes made in JMRI so that the right sensor triggers the right sensor input!

There's power on most of the track....I'll need to deep clean the track once I get the final track sections cut to length , etc......then I'll be able to get a train running!!! I'm aiming to have trains running under some form of auto control by mid February at the latest! That will then give me 6 months for scenery and the Tamar Bridge!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

gbtrains

Post by gbtrains »

Sounds really good Doug
Well Done :D

Cannot wait to see it now :D

regards
Graham

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Things are going well, Graham. Looks like busy times ahead!

I've now got all sensors working as they should, triggering the right inputs....and the schematic diagram reflects train location, etc. And with that done, I've mummified the wiring loom, so I have a black snake running round the back of the layout.

I did find an error in the schematic where I'd missed out a track section in the Tamar branch. The panel is sorted ; I now have to update my reference documentation for scripting...and make minor changes to the scenario scripts I've done so far. Should have that sorted this evening.....update - done!

The next job is to sort out a minor wiring issue in a little add-on I dreamt up over Christmas.....a small control panel to override the points. At the moment, two of the switches are transposed and the other is the wrong way round. With the switch panel sorted, I can install and commission the Saltash point and get the final trackwork in place. Then it's commissioning the flexi-traverser....and try out a train or two!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

A mini-update....and more midnight oil consumed!

The add-on control panel is now working correctly and I've done some fine-tuning of the operation of the flexi-traverser...shorter arms on the servos making the throw more powerful and accurate.

I've finally got the Saltash station point assembled and the servo moving the point for the first time! And I've checked out the electronic switching board for switching power to the point trackwork...and amazingly, it works!.

In between TMS membership work, my next target is to get Saltash station fixed down...its currently loose but "fitted"...and the Royal Albert bridge, approach viaducts and track finally fitted so the track is complete. Note that the bridge and the Saltash side viaduct will be removeable for layout disassembly.

Hope to be able to take some photos soon. I'm a messy worker and there's tools and junk everywhere making photos more embarrassing than impressive!
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

The first building on the layout that I printed was the Union Inn, which sits on the water's edge …..so I thought it right to make the same building the first to be painted!

Here's the inn...and its neighbouring building....both just about finished, the models, a Google Earth view, and a Google street view:
13-1_2_model.jpg
13-1_2_model.jpg (79.27 KiB) Viewed 797 times
13-1_2_Earth.jpg
13-1_2_Earth.jpg (129.53 KiB) Viewed 797 times
13-1_2_streetl.jpg
13-1_2_streetl.jpg (95.81 KiB) Viewed 797 times
Doug Kightley

gbtrains

Post by gbtrains »

Hi Doug

Looking great and promesing to be a crackin layout.
Will have come and have a look when it is finished. :D :D :D

Regards
Graham

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Oh dear! Looks like things got out of hand at the New Years Eve party at the sailing club. Some of the over-enthusiastic revellers appear to have whitewashed the clubhouse!
IMG_4040_red.JPG
IMG_4040_red.JPG (92.26 KiB) Viewed 775 times
Lets hope it washes off in the rain.
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Thankfully......a heavy shower later, all the damage has gone!
IMG_4045_red.JPG
IMG_4045_red.JPG (93.76 KiB) Viewed 773 times
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Some progress with Saltash station....and some pictures(!)..

Firstly an overview of the station:
IMG_4062_red.JPG
IMG_4062_red.JPG (159.55 KiB) Viewed 737 times
The pcb in the right front corner is the control board that switches power to the "vee" and moving rails of the point. The board senses the servo positions at each end of the throw and switches a latching relay at the half-way point.

The two pcbs wrapped in tape at the back are the drivers for the laser sensors. One of the lasers is built into the station building, and the other is inside the large green blob!...which will be disguised as a large bush. The receivers are the small green upright bits....which will also be disguised as bushes.

Two photos of the point...first set Westbound:
IMG_4061_red.JPG
IMG_4061_red.JPG (88.9 KiB) Viewed 737 times
And now Eastbound:
IMG_4058_red.JPG
IMG_4058_red.JPG (111.72 KiB) Viewed 737 times
The moving rails pivot just left of the centre of the moving plate....and the operating lever is underneath the rails with the servo also under the track on the right hand side (under the blackened area).

I now need to cut the rails on the viaduct ends so they fit the track on the bridge. Once the track is fitted, I can try running something through the points!!!
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

After an hour or so's work this morning, the area around Saltash station looks somewhat better!
IMG_4063_red.JPG
IMG_4063_red.JPG (96.06 KiB) Viewed 711 times
I had to insert a couple of wedges of foam to fill in the gap....looking very nice if I say so!!!!!
Doug Kightley