T Time

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.
tjfiii

T Time

Post by tjfiii »

Hello,

Tom here. I’m new to T Gauge and am just starting my first layout. It’s based on the Beachcomber starter set with a bit of track added for a better fit with the cocktail table that it will eventually call home.

Excited to join the forum. There’s a wonderful amount of information here and it’s such a great source of inspiration - the layouts are incredible. Thanks to all.

While waiting on delivery of the last few bits and pieces to get going, I spent some time building a few houses. I’m quite happy with the first attempt:

FirstThreeHouses.jpg
More to come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kajovog

Re: T Time

Post by kajovog »

That looks great. I like those card-stock kits. Instant gratification :D

ledahu

Post by ledahu »

great ! where did you get this sort of card ?

tjfiii

Post by tjfiii »

Thanks! These kits are from CustomZScales. They have a product section for T-Gauge:
https://customzscales.com/collections/t-gauge-1-450

kajovog

Post by kajovog »

I made a video about one of the "kits"

tjfiii

Post by tjfiii »

Enjoyed the video and completely agree with the review. Getting ready to tackle the gas station next.

In other news, construction is underway! The layout measures 1220mm x 400mm and is being built on primed MDF. I spent some time printing a track plan to get a proper fit and decided to create a shoreline using 1.5mm plastic sheet to get a nice contour and a hard edge for the waterscape paint.

Template1.png
The entire layout is going to be elevated to create dimension and provide the opportunity to create some rock walls, bridges, tunnels and a spot for a lighthouse. I cut some squares of plastic to keep things level.

Template2.png
The pilings are made out of artist foam core - now that I see this picture having so many may have been be overkill, but it’s really light and better to have a firm base for the track and scenery.

Template3.jpg
More artist foam core to top things off - you can see the outcropping for the lighthouse on the lower right and the beginnings of the space for a bridge. Time to let all this cure…

Template4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tjfiii

Post by tjfiii »

The track is in place. I coated the tips of 13mm black track nails with a bit of PVA to attach the fixing plates. The nails pushed easily into the foam core and hold really well. Added a cutout for a lake and more foam core to rough out the additional elevation.

Template5.png
Template7.jpg

kajovog

Post by kajovog »

That looks really good. Looking forward to see more of your progress.

tjfiii

Post by tjfiii »

A bit of progress on the mountain. Roughed out the basic shape using blocks of foam board and started carving it into shape.

Template7.jpg
I decided that the lighthouse will need a proper light characteristic. I used an Arduino Uno to program an ATtiny85 microcontroller to simulate a rotating beacon. You can see the tiny 1mm LED on the lower right lit here:

LighthouseCircuit1.jpg
It looks pretty good in the model as well. Next step is to move the circuit to a small prototype board. The light effect looks great...you'll have to take my word for it. :D Planning to post a video once I get some painting done.

LighthouseCircuit2.jpg

tjfiii

Post by tjfiii »

After a bit of a delay, finally some progress on the hardscape.

Template9.jpg
Template10.jpg
As others have stated, you certainly do need a lot of trees - first 50 done!

Tree2.jpg
Tree3.jpg