Anyone for T

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.
westernsultan

Anyone for T

Post by westernsultan »

ANYONE FOR T
Updated July 2020
Built in a cutlery box 2009, and mothballed since 2013, this is actually an O gauge garden layout with O gauge scenery and the garden railway in T gauge. Part of an affluent household, their gardeners are still on site whilst some friends have popped round for lunch to see the trains running and take some pictures.
It only went to 5 exhibitions before being mothballed. It was lightly damaged at a church hall with a sprung floor when children running around the hall caused the trains to jump off the track and crash. It was more severely damaged in 2013 when a visitor with a back pack trying to reach a trader’s stand turned round and sent the whole layout to the edge of the table pulling out wires and sending the trains flying within the layout. It was lucky the layout didn’t end up on the floor. I wish people with back packs at exhibitions would carry them if they have to bring them in to the exhibition – end of rant.
What this lock down has enabled many modellers to do is to go back and look at such mothballed layouts, and I’ve just done that with this T gauge layout. The scenery was not affected by the damage – the main flower beds and lawn were made for me by our very own Rodney Hodge. So, the wiring was out, easily fixed and then clean the track. After this, and the usual questions like – so why is nothing happening? are the wheels dirty? why is this happening to me? – the 2 power cars of the HST started up.
Next try the other track by taking off one of the power cars and cross fingers – that’s optional. Great, 2 tracks running, time for a coffee.
Now what else will work – well after a while, and more coffee, my blue 4-car Japanese EMU started up, and I also got the single locomotive, actually built for a garden railway, to work as well. The rolling stock involved in the 2013 crash didn’t work. They are a brown 4-car Japanese EMU and a Japanese single car unit. I will need to send them next year to Alan Ramsay at www.tgauge.com to see if they can be repaired.
Following the article in WM N Gauge Club interim newsletter number 5, I did send the two non-running units, damaged by the man with the rucksack, to Alan at www.tgauge.com for his assessment. He removed all the wheels on the 5 carriages, ultrasonically cleaned and re-fitted them and the 4-car unit was working again. Not so lucky with the single unit and he had to take it apart, where he found a split gear. We decided while the unit was apart not only to change the gear wheel but to upgrade the motor to give me better overall running. The 2 units are now back with the layout.

westernsultan

Re: Anyone for T

Post by westernsultan »

The layout in 2009
Attachments
DSC_0400.JPG

westernsultan

Post by westernsultan »

The layout working again in 2020
Attachments
IMG_1466.JPG

DanMacK

Post by DanMacK »

I remember this layout! Glad to see it back up and running. Welcome back to the fold!

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

I remember seeing this too and have always loved the idea of using T as a "miniature" railway. Really nice work

westernsultan

Post by westernsultan »

This layout uses O gauge people and scenery - now working on a similar idea but using T gauge as a miniature railway in a N gauge setting. See "Seen Better Days" under the T gauge layouts on this site. I'm pleased so many people remember this layout and glad I've got it working again