The Bridge

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.
dkightley

Re: The Bridge

Post by dkightley »

I've been able to get a first test build of the south viaduct to check the dimensions against the strip map I produced a while ago:
Img_1604_red.jpg
Img_1604_red.jpg (139.45 KiB) Viewed 10195 times
The photo shows the length of the viaduct...which is missing the track road sections....to the stone tower and beyond to the foot of the first cantilever tower. What you see here is over six foot long! And how does it measure up? Its actually around 4mm longer than expected...which is not a problem as I've allowed for the whole structure to be up to 50mm longer by not completing all the baseboards at this time!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

More progress on the layout boards.....

Here's the state of the south shore end as of tonight:
Img_1608_red.jpg
Img_1608_red.jpg (80.67 KiB) Viewed 10175 times
Boards 1 and 2 now have side skirts temporarily fitted to make up the edges of the ground surface. Look close and you can see the ground level pencilled on the inside of the back skirt.

The "step" in the rear skirt is the join between the boards...which is the line the map is folded under at...and the stone arch section is placed in its approxiamate position..and the wrong way round! :oops: The diagonal skirt board will be the extent of the layout, and there'll be an angled backdrop hiding the loop around.

The red handle of the screwdriver is sitting in on where the water starts; the map shows rocks at low tide.

And in a separate thread of progress, I've been printing the houses from the 3D files produced by Ivan for one of the two housing estates at Dalmany. Here's the houses printed so far in their approxiamate positions:
Img_1609_red.jpg
Img_1609_red.jpg (71.01 KiB) Viewed 10174 times
Immediately behind the houses, across the road is the station car park, then the embankment on which the station sits.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

After several failed prints I've come to the conclusion that I've got an expired print nozzle..either worn or pitted, resulting in it not dispensing the plastic smoothly and consequently not printing at all well!! :x :x :cry: :cry: I have a new nozzle on order...so I'll have to concentrate on other things until it arrives.

I'm making progress on the base boards. Boards 7 & 8 now have their base assembled and scenery side skirts fitted and cut to profile:
Img_1638_red.jpg
Img_1638_red.jpg (76.05 KiB) Viewed 10115 times
The skirts on Boards 1 & 2 have also been cut to profile...except for where the embankment with the dual rails running through the station:
Img_1640_red.jpg
Img_1640_red.jpg (78.5 KiB) Viewed 10115 times
Its amazing to think that there's 4 boards that fit between these two pairs of boards! :shock: :shock: :shock: But not inside the house!!!
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Some exciting progress to report....

I've just fixed the first printed component down to one of the baseboards....the support for the landing stone arched section on the south shore. Its fixed down onto board number 2..and I've also made the trackbed for the viaduct it feeds:
IMG_1655_red.JPG
IMG_1655_red.JPG (70.99 KiB) Viewed 10074 times
The trackbed is a strip of 3mm ply that sits loosely into a recess in a fabricated support...and its designed to lift out to allow the layout to be disassembled. Note in the above photo that the support is in two pieces...one on board 1 and one on board 2. Heres another shot where I've lifted the trackbed out of its "slot"".
Img_1659_red.jpg
Img_1659_red.jpg (87.43 KiB) Viewed 10074 times
In the background is Dalmany station platforms and the bridge over the road that passes under it. Heres a photo showing a close-up of the bridge, showing the narrower girder supporting the rails and the wider and lighter sections for the platform. Note the joins to the platforms...which click into the short platform section that forms part of the bridge:
IMG_1656_red.JPG
IMG_1656_red.JPG (61.46 KiB) Viewed 10074 times
It'll look somewhat better once there's a road and embankment surface and its all painted up.....the bridge is suspended in space at present!
Doug Kightley

ivanf

Post by ivanf »

seems to be going well.. :)

that's quite a drop from the station to the sea....

I'm beginning to get the impression that it's going to be quite a big layout... :)

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

The north end landfall is also taking shape:
Img_1664_red.jpg
Img_1664_red.jpg (131.22 KiB) Viewed 10021 times
The under bridge here is at a quite sharp angle and just off the end of the station platform...and lies very close to a join in the baseboards, which is just off-shot to the left.:
Img_1663_red.jpg
Img_1663_red.jpg (55.31 KiB) Viewed 10021 times
And the line disappears into a tunnel just north of the station. Quite a neat way of disappearing into the turnaround loop!:
Img_1660_red.jpg
Img_1660_red.jpg (53.99 KiB) Viewed 10021 times
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Some notable progress to report....

Firstly, I've laid the first track! But not in the way you'ld expect. I've used the process as described here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=114&start=9 ......and here's acouple of detail shots:
Img_1693_red.jpg
Img_1693_red.jpg (113.33 KiB) Viewed 9957 times
Img_1695_red.jpg
Img_1695_red.jpg (60.01 KiB) Viewed 9957 times
The track is "tacked" to a 3-ply strip with contact adhesive. It'll get glued properly when I apply the ballast and soak the lot in PVA. The ply strip is designed to drop snugly into a slot on top of the embankment as described a couple of posts back.

Secondly, I've also started laying the ground surface...on the south of the layout:
IMG_1692_red.JPG
IMG_1692_red.JPG (55.41 KiB) Viewed 9957 times
board
I'm using 75mm thick expanded foam thermal insulation board.....which cuts easily and can be shaped easily with either a sharp knife/scalpel or sandpaper.

And finally, a third first. I've made a start on some paintwork:
Img_1698_red.jpg
Img_1698_red.jpg (139.8 KiB) Viewed 9957 times
I've taken delivery of a new airbrush and compressor to replace the cheap & nasty airbrush I've had for over 20 years (which I never really got good results with)....and I've started putting some colour on the viaduct supports. This photo shows the base colour coat only...there's more to do to finish them off.
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Things are starting to come together on the south side approach:
Img_1699_red.jpg
Img_1699_red.jpg (117.87 KiB) Viewed 9927 times
IMG_1700_red.JPG
IMG_1700_red.JPG (61.01 KiB) Viewed 9927 times
I just now need to get the viaduct road deck sections finalised and I can fix the support bases down. The first of these is printing at the moment!
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Mre progress on the south end of the layout....

I've printed enough road sections to allow me to fix the viaduct support bases down...and I've fixed down the foam shhet sections for the terrain and made a start sanding away the foam to form the ground surface:
Img_1751_red.jpg
Img_1751_red.jpg (79.18 KiB) Viewed 9859 times
You can see I've also penned in the road layout so I can make a start creating the road surfaces.
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

The roads are coming along nicely.....I've got first versions of the shore road adjacent to the Hawes Inn done:
Img_1755_red.jpg
Img_1755_red.jpg (73.55 KiB) Viewed 9833 times
The Inn itself is a curious mix of buildings built over a period of time. Here's a closer look at a test version of it that I've printed to work on fitting the road section to it and the adjacent buildings:
Img_1754_red.jpg
Img_1754_red.jpg (60.48 KiB) Viewed 9833 times
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Hawes Inn before it has bits of flash removed:
Img_1756_red.jpg
Img_1756_red.jpg (60.41 KiB) Viewed 9815 times
Just imagine sitting on one of those picnic tables on a nice warm summer's evening downing a nice cool pint. Heaven! :D :D :D
Doug Kightley

NeilM

Post by NeilM »

The level of accuracy you are going for here is amazing. This layout will be quite something to see when it is complete.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Again another week or so where I'm not able to report any significant progress....although I do seem to have made small incremental bits of progress...

I'm almost at the point where I can think about glueing together the components of the centre tower...most parts have been cleaned up and fitted together loose at least once. I had some strange problems with printing the final part of the tower..the vertical support for the rail deck that sits half way along the tower. The slicer software for reasons unknown didn't generate the raft on which the girders would be printed. Eventually, after two complete redesigns of the part, the raft appeared...and I was able to print!

With the centre tower nearing completion, I've also started putting together the designs for the north and south towers. Some of the parts are the same as the centre tower, some need slight modification, and some need redesigning from scratch. I'm about 75% through the designs and have some bits printed already. Another few weeks and I might be ready to assemble these towers!

There's also progress on the south end. I've moved on with the ground surface profiling around the initial versions of the roads as pictured a post or two back. I've also had to reprint the Hawes Inn model in two pieces to ensure it printed reliably....about 35 hours printing time in total to end up with the final article..which I think looks pretty good:
IMG_1757_red.JPG
IMG_1757_red.JPG (36.79 KiB) Viewed 9718 times
Ivan has almost completed all the houses for one of the housing estates in Dalmany...and all of what he's done have been printed. That's about 25 out of the 200 buildings!!

Moving to the north end of the layout, I've fixed down all the mounts for the approach viaduct and the north stone tower for the end cantilever. I'm part way through cutting out and fixing down the foam sheeting for the complex surface profiling around North Queensferry.

Another thread....preparation for painting...I've looked through all the colour charts for model paints and haven't been able to find a colour suitable for the "Forth Bridge Red" of the metalwork on the bridge, so not wanting to have to mix the colour, I decided to take a lateral look at the problem. The bridge is red because in the early years, it was painted with the most rust-inhibiting paint they had - red oxide paint...and then not covered with a cosmetic finish colour. Hence the bridge is a browny-red - the colour of red oxide paint. When the bridge received its current epoxy-based finish, the colour was matched to the previous red oxide paint colour....so its currently not painted in red oxide paint...but with red oxide coloured paint!

My initial painting tests were using spray red primer from Halfords..the type used for undercoating car paints, but it didn't look right. So I thought about doing the reverse to what they have done on the real bridge....move from red coloured paint - to red oxide paint! And surprise, surprise....red oxide paint just happens to be the right colour!!
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Unlike the last upsate, I can show the progress I'm making to the two north sections of the layout.

I've fixed down the foam sheeting and have started the really messy job of profiling the foam to form the ground surface. I'll keep a low profile when the binman empties my bin in his lorry....there's likely to be a cloud of foam dust!!! :D

I've also just fixed down the trackbed support....some photos will illustrate things better. Here's the assembled trackbed leading to the north viaduct:
Img_1764_red.jpg
Img_1764_red.jpg (77.19 KiB) Viewed 9661 times
The photo shows three items...the tunnel portal where the line goes into a short cut and cover tunnel. And on my layout its where the line disappears behind the scenes!
IMG_1765_red.JPG
IMG_1765_red.JPG (69.5 KiB) Viewed 9661 times
...the bridge where a road goes under the line:
IMG_1766_red.JPG
IMG_1766_red.JPG (86.72 KiB) Viewed 9661 times
....and the stone built launch into the viaduct:
IMG_1767_red.JPG
IMG_1767_red.JPG (89.12 KiB) Viewed 9661 times
And the magic bit! You'll notice this track section bridges a join in the layout boards.....and the track lifts out like this to allow the sections to separate:
Img_1770_red.jpg
Img_1770_red.jpg (84.53 KiB) Viewed 9661 times
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

After several hours of slicing, cutting and sanding, I finally have the ground surface for the north shore almost there!...including the end result of quarrying in two places:
Img_1773_red.jpg
Img_1773_red.jpg (72.44 KiB) Viewed 9643 times
And I have a dustbin liner full of bits of foam!!!
Doug Kightley

Towers

Post by Towers »

Its looking awesome, keep up the good work. Can't wait to see this finished.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Thought I'd summarise where I've got to on the build of the actual bridge components to give an idea of the size of the project....

Starting from the north shore, there's the three arch stone "launcher", as I call it!:
FifeArches.JPG
FifeArches.JPG (147.46 KiB) Viewed 9618 times
The bottom half is hidden inside the structure of the layout board....and the top section simply plugs into lugs on the legs:

Next is the north viaduct...made up of the components shown here:
Viaduct.JPG
Viaduct.JPG (170.16 KiB) Viewed 9494 times
There are in fact five girder sections...with four of the narrow stone supports. The actual supports and tower for this end of the bridge stand on land...and hence don't have the oval base as shown here, but have mounts similar to the stone arched section. The tower and the girder sections are all separate, and plug into their bases when the layout is put together. Hopefully, willpower and gravity will keep it together!!

Everything described so far has been 3D printed...but all still require painting.

Now comes the north cantilever....made up of a central tower and two identical arms. Here's a view of the tower:
NSTower.JPG
NSTower.JPG (162.67 KiB) Viewed 9618 times
The individual parts are coloured differently to help with identification...its not the final colour!! And here's a view of a not quite finished cantilever arm:
CantArm.JPG
CantArm.JPG (134.71 KiB) Viewed 9494 times
I still have to add the cross-bracing under the lower tubes and above the track bed, and the vertical trackbed supports...24 parts in total!

The centre cantilever is made up of a larger tower and arms the same as the north cantilever...which makes the build a little easier! Here's a view of the centre tower:
CentreTower.JPG
CentreTower.JPG (175.66 KiB) Viewed 9618 times
Note it has an additional vertical support.

Between the cantilevers are box girder sections....which I've not yet made a start on.

The south cantilever is exactly the same as the north cantilever...which helps! Of the cantilevers, I have printed all of the components that make up all three of the towers....but still need to clean off support material and flash and fix them together.

To the south, the viaduct is of similar construction to the north viaduct...and consists of ten girder sections held up by nine stone supports. All bar two of the supports sit in the water ...and have an oval base that plugs into a fixed mounting block on the baseboard.

The final part of the structure is the south "launcher"...I'll have to show it on a follow-up post as I have set the forum to only allow five attachments per post! As per the north approach, I've printed all the viaduct sections, the stone tower, and the "Launcher" viaduct.
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

....and here's the final attachment:
QueensferryArches.JPG
QueensferryArches.JPG (109.85 KiB) Viewed 9494 times
One day I'll work out how many separate components there are. There'll certainly be a lot less then the number of parts I've printed!!!
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Phew!!!

I'm getting there with the cantilever arm component design:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (129.08 KiB) Viewed 7197 times
I've got all the supports for the road done...and all bar three of the cross braces that span across the lower tubes.

I need to create the three missing cross braces, finish off the ends of the pink and grey vertical tubes /girders that join the lower tubes to the girders at the top.....and then create six sets of cross braces that span across the pink tubes.Then, I'll need to extract each part from this assembly and make ready for printing. A quick count...48 separate pieces!!..or thereabouts.
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

I'm part way through creating the last set of cross braces in the cantilecer arm.

Am I getting punch drunk??...or does this look like I'm playing "Kerplunk"????? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (210.41 KiB) Viewed 9545 times
Doug Kightley