The Bridge

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.
toodlepip

Re: The Bridge

Post by toodlepip »

Well done Doug, just come across the video.

Very impressive and am looking forward to it appearing at Newbury in February next year. (May as well get a plug in). You are being put near the 42ft long O gauge layout so it should be quite a contrast in scales. We also have a Peppa Pig layout which has its own devotees !

gbtrains

Post by gbtrains »

Hi
I have got a 3d version in LWO but will do it in obj file as then anybody can play with it.
Just ask and I will email it to you as I cannot post it with this comment.

ps Has T gauge all ready done this project?

Regards
Graham

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

ps Has T gauge all ready done this project?
There is only one T gauge model layout that incorporates the Forth Bridge in it's entirety and the area of land at either end.

It is true that Alan Ramsey at TGauge.com has produced an etched metal model of the three cantilevers of the Forth Bridge, but this was produced for inclusion in a stand for a trade exhibition promoting Scotland overseas. The model was built in 2015 and since then, Alan has shown the model at a show in Scotland.

Alan's model, although finely detailed, does not cover the whole of the bridge structure.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

With the next show date starting to get closer, I've started working on a tool to rectify the issue I've discovered with "bogie drag". Sounds painful...but essentially the lower edges of the sides of bogies on the power units and rolling stock have been rubbing on the bridge deck sections either side of the slots in which the flexitrack sits, either causing drag or breaking the electrical connection to the wheels.

The tool should allow me to rub away a thin strip either side of the track...hopefully all the way along the deck sections inside the bridge structure.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

One thing that I never really got finished for the layout's first outing was the backdrop. What appeared at the GCR show was a horrid plain bright blue sheet of fabric that, for me, detracted from the finished article:
Img_2838_red.jpg
Img_2838_red.jpg (112.56 KiB) Viewed 10244 times
But as I didn't have time to do anything about it.....it had to be like that!

My intention was to try and source a series of photographs taken from the bridge by someone who had access looking East....and for these photos to be stitched together to form a long ribbon that I could line the backdrop with. I contacted someone I knew who worked for Network Rail who had a photography interest....and he didn't promise anything, but offered to try and take some photos one time he had access to the bridge roadway. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to get to take some photos....so I had to drop to "plan B".

Opening Google Earth in a wide window across the two monitors I have on my desktop, I was able to see what sort of computer generated view could be resolved from satellite images. Here's what I mean:
IMG_2888_red.JPG
IMG_2888_red.JPG (64.27 KiB) Viewed 10244 times
Zooming in and moving the viewpoint around I eventually was able to grab a series of screenshots and stitch them together...and with a tad of "photoshopping", I ended up with this rather wide image...or at least a higher resolution version of it:
Backdrop_forum.jpg
Backdrop_forum.jpg (9.03 KiB) Viewed 10244 times
The next problem was how....and onto what.....to print this image out. Loading into a poster printing software, I was able to scale the image to print on 35 sheets of A4 paper oriented in portrait format.....and I then looked to see if I could use t-shirt printing paper to get the image onto the existing material backdrop. A test print seemed to work....so I ordered sufficient sheets and set to work.

All 35 sheets printed successfully, so I started ironing the individual sheets onto the backdrop:
IMG_2883_red.JPG
IMG_2883_red.JPG (94.49 KiB) Viewed 10244 times
Once I'd got all 35 sheets ironed on....a long and somewhat warm process....I cut the bottom half of the existing backdrop off, leaving the new backdrop:
IMG_2885_red.JPG
IMG_2885_red.JPG (114.97 KiB) Viewed 10244 times
To finish off, all I need to do is lower down the mounting screws for the seven horizontal bars that the top edge is velcro'd to so that the bottom edge of the image just snuggles below the back of the baseboard surface.

This whole process is, I believe, a rather novel and easy solution to the problem of getting a good backdrop. The only down side....and it's a BIG down side....is the smell of the iron-on sheets. They smell of...of ....yeugh- it's an Indescribable smell!!! I had to stop for a breath of fresh air a couple of times as I was starting to feel sick!
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Just sat down for a rest after unloading the van having got back home from Crich......show number two a rousing success!

The Models Weekend at Crich is not a normal model railway exhibition, as its an additional attraction forming part of the visitor attraction, and consequently, many of those who were looking round were families out for a day's entertainment at the Tramway Museum....and a lot of fellow volunteers and staff from the museum came to have a look at what I've been boring them all with for the last couple of year!

Despite the limitations on those who saw the layout, none failed to be amazed at the small size of T, the level of detail I'd put in, and how the Forth bridge is far bigger than you're led to believe when you see the real thing up close as there's little to compare it with to give you the measure of it's size! Dave Munro (user Zebsfrend) paid a surprise visit on Saturday afternoon, which was a nice surprise. And both days I had many congratulation and handshakes from admiring visitors who were impressed with what I'd done....

I had a brand new Intercity 125 running virtually flawlessly and continuously on Saturday from 8:30 am right through to around 4:00 pm before it started stuttering a bit. A quick track clean improved the running a little until close of play at 5:00pm. After a wheel clean on Sunday morning, the HST ran okay for an hour or so but started derailing coaches on the run-around loops. Changing the buffet car power unit for a spare improved thing considerably for another hour or so....but I finally had to retire it and replace it with my 2-car DMU, which ran far better with an occasional track clean on areas of the track I could get to. But the DMU did start suffering from the dirty track towards the end of the day.

I took some video footage of the HST on the layout. I'll eidt some of it together into a video that (if okay) I'll upload to Youtube.
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Here we go.......

Turn the volume up, sit back.....and enjoy!!!!!

Doug Kightley

Kupzinger

Post by Kupzinger »

Hey! Great footage .... And the new Background: soooo much better! Really cool. I checked flights from Vienna to the Birmingham show, but a day trip is not possible, so I will stay home. So: more pictures please :)

Cheers
Kupzinger

Nutter

Post by Nutter »

Great footage Doug, the new backdrop really sets the scene.
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Now I've finally recovered from the show and just about clear of the cold I caught :x , I've put together a long list of things I need to get done before the Warley show...a mix of repairs (sorting out things I damaged when I was feeling rough!!....and refixing houses "little fingers" loosened), tweaks to make assembly and track cleaning somewhat easier, and things I've not yet got finished.

First completed job was to create something military to sit under the bridge:
IMG_2912_red.JPG
IMG_2912_red.JPG (55.34 KiB) Viewed 10104 times
HMS Vanguard......not what you would see in the Forth, but who cares...it's a sub! Needs a few sticks planting on top of the conning tower to finish it off...
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Not much progress to report other than the fact I've done a small amount of work on making the track easier to install and remove. I now have two marked and matched sets of five and a third lengths of flexitrack, each section with a pre-fixed track connector.

Hopefully no more trimming to length and fitting connectors before assembly! And I should be able to remove, clean & replace track before each show day!
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

The mods made to the track and backdrop have seemed to have worked. Assembly at the Elizabethan Show was much easier... :D :D

And what a show!!

T Gauge is making one heck of a mark in 2016. Not only have I seen several show visitors at all three of the shows the layout has appeared at.....but The Bridge has now won two awards!!!

The Elizabethan Model Society award a small loco nameplate style trophy to the layout they consider to be the best they invite to shows...and The Bridge has won it for 2016. And the show has a visitor poll for best layout in show....and The Bridge has won that award as well!

I'm absolutely stunned at having been awarded both of these awards......
IMG_2944._redJPG.jpg
IMG_2944._redJPG.jpg (164.31 KiB) Viewed 10350 times
Doug Kightley

NoelDollimore

Post by NoelDollimore »

Many congratulations Doug, well deserved recognition, I don't doubt there will be more awards to follow as it's something unusual and completely different from the usual layouts one sees at shows.
Well done, your two years of hard work have been appreciated and have paid off.
Great stuff Doug.

Noel.
Knowledge is of no value unless it is shared, if you can remember it !!

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

Fantastic news and a well deserved award for all of your hard work!!

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

And a discussion point from at least two visitors over the weekend.........What's my next layout??
Doug Kightley

msimister

Post by msimister »

Well done Doug, richly deserved. Hopefully T gauge will get more coverage in the model railway magazines now. Er, so what is your next layout?
Cheers,
Malcolm

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Er, so what is your next layout?
I'm having some good thoughts about where to go. And I'm well aware of the high bar I've set myself.....

On candidate is the area within the red rectangle:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (547.2 KiB) Viewed 10298 times
Doug Kightley

msimister

Post by msimister »

Good choice! Including the Southern line too?

NeilM

Post by NeilM »

Just noticed there is an hour long programme on tonight about the Forth Bridge - UK viewers only - 21:00, terrestrial TV on C5.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Good spot, Neil. Thanks for the heads-up.

Next week's episode on Tower Bridge should also be good as well.
Doug Kightley