The Bridge

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.
dkightley

Re: The Bridge

Post by dkightley »

With the layout as finished as it can be ready for the show, I've been taking a look at getting some of my own vehicles quickly painted so that they can be added to the display. Here's what I have painted:
IMG_2817_red.JPG
IMG_2817_red.JPG (92.93 KiB) Viewed 9197 times
And here's a collection that NeilM's own vehicles that he has painted up and sent to me....thanks a billion, Neil. :D
IMG_2821_red.JPG
IMG_2821_red.JPG (63.97 KiB) Viewed 9197 times
And is this the largest collection of T scale vehicles???
Img_2823_red.jpg
Img_2823_red.jpg (140.85 KiB) Viewed 9197 times
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Phew.....what a day! And its only set-up day!

Collected the van, loaded up all the bits..lots of them!..and drove to Quorn, and managed to park the van right next to the marquee door near where my display space was.

After a long drawn out session, I managed to get the layout assembled ...for the first time in its entirety...and test run a pair of HST power units. I have a few sticking points to address in the morning. Meanwhile....here's a few photos of the completed layout...less vehicles:
The whole stand:
Img_2838_red.jpg
Img_2838_red.jpg (112.56 KiB) Viewed 9180 times
Close=up from one end to the other
Img_2824_red.jpg
Img_2824_red.jpg (138.62 KiB) Viewed 9180 times
Img_2825_red.jpg
Img_2825_red.jpg (180.68 KiB) Viewed 9180 times
Img_2826_red.jpg
Img_2826_red.jpg (124.26 KiB) Viewed 9180 times
Img_2827_red.jpg
Img_2827_red.jpg (126.39 KiB) Viewed 9180 times
Img_2828_red.jpg
Img_2828_red.jpg (112.55 KiB) Viewed 9180 times
Img_2830_red.jpg
Img_2830_red.jpg (111.65 KiB) Viewed 9180 times
Img_2834_red.jpg
Img_2834_red.jpg (165.44 KiB) Viewed 9180 times
Img_2835_red.jpg
Img_2835_red.jpg (169.31 KiB) Viewed 9180 times
Img_2836_red.jpg
Img_2836_red.jpg (155.83 KiB) Viewed 9180 times
Img_2837_red.jpg
Img_2837_red.jpg (134.86 KiB) Viewed 9180 times
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

Nutter

Post by Nutter »

WOW that's amazing
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.

martink

Post by martink »

That is really, really spectacular. Best of Luck.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

A good friend from my train simming days has just sent me a re-scaled version of his model of HMS Exmouth:
ship.JPG
ship.JPG (104.15 KiB) Viewed 9177 times
Should look nice passing under the bridge having made a visit to Rosyth..its nearly 21 cm long.

Its a pity it'll take 20 hours to print!! I won't be able to have it at GCR. :(
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

GCR Model Event day one report.....

Well, despite a few teething problems, today has been what I can only describe as a fantastic day!!

First, the not so good news....I had some difficulties this morning getting trains to run smoothly. I first tried a HST, which kept slowing and stalling whenever it ran on any of the viaduct sections, but faired better when within the cantilevers, and rocketed on the non-bridge track sections. Having investigated and fiddled, I finally identified the problem...bogie drag! The viaduct deck section tee shaped slots must be slightly deeper than the cantilever section slots, as the edge of the slots were binding on the side frames of the bogies causing a combination of interrupting power to the motors and causing too much resistance for the train to move.

As an experiment, I did a bit of material removal off the side frames of the bogies on the two power cars of the 156 DMU set...and the DMU sped round with no problems. So, unfortunately, the HST set was confined to the engine shed.

I did get a second issue where the paper shells of the 156 kept bouncing up a tad and catching on cross-girders on the north and south cantilever arms. A bit of careful filing resolved the issue without causing any visible issues. After this, the 156 DMU ran unattended for nearly five hours apart from the very occasional stopping. I was even able to slow it down to a reasonable speed. And almost no track cleaning was necessary, so I was able to enjoy talking to visitors.

This brings me nicely on to the very good news about the day...the layout proved to be a jaw-dropper in a big way. Everyone who looked at the layout expressed their delight and amazement; I lost count of the number of times I was congratulated on the build, and had at least five congratulatory hand shakes.

Many were amazed at the level of detail. One gentleman pointed to Hawes Inn and said he and his wife had sat on the benches outside the front having a drink about three weeks ago. Another said he'd dined in three places he could easily identify on the layout. Two or three Scots commented on the accuracy of both the north and south ends.

I've had at least two verbal requests to attend shows in the future, and having spotted two gentlemen with Warley MRC logos on their shirts, they came over and asked if I would be interested in taking the layout to their show at the NEC. Having told them I already had been booked, they went away totally thrilled at the prospect.

On a few occasions, I heard comments that the layout was the best at the show.....and totally unsolicited, one visitor said "In the past I've taken the Mickey out of T Gauge....but this layout has changed my mind completely. The layout is amazing and I'll be singing the praises of T from now on!"

There has been an almost overwhelming reaction to the layout....and I have to admit to having felt slightly emotional ( is a good way) on more than one occasion during the day. I set out on this project to impress and raise T Gauge's profile....and so far it has exceeded expectations.

And there's still two days to go!! In the morning I might try the bogie side frame trick on my HST to see if I can get it running reliably...
Doug Kightley

Kupzinger

Post by Kupzinger »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is probably the largest T layout. It will strongly contribute to the development of T as a wonderful scale to model real-world landscape prototypes. You have done it!

Also, really nice pictures. Maybe you can try a frog-eye from below to the brigde? Good luck with the second day.

Cheers
Friederich

NoelDollimore

Post by NoelDollimore »

Very many congratulations Doug, you set yourself a mammoth task and you've completed it splendidly, you deserve all the accolades you receive.
I bet your 3D printers will be glad for a bit of a rest as well now.
Hope it all continues to run well for the rest of the show.
You and the layout are perfect ambassadors for 'T' gauge.
Best regards, Noel.
Knowledge is of no value unless it is shared, if you can remember it !!

davidmatthewson

Post by davidmatthewson »

Really, really wonderful! Great to see T Scale being used for real modelling and not just a gimmick. Good luck!

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Day two successfully negotiated with even more accolades and amazed looks from visitors.

I had a go at trying to resolve the issue with running the HST, but unfortunately didn't have time to get the reliability good enough...it was still dragging on the sides of the slots in the bridge deck sections, so the 156 set had a second full day running. It performed impeccably until about 30 minutes before the close of play for the day, when it started jamming under low girders as the paper shell kept bouncing and slipping off its location, causing a slightly greater running height.

Unlike last year, I had to do very little track cleaning either at start of paly or during the day.....leaving me free to chat to visitors.

And like yesterday, everyone had amazed looks and many made more than one repeat visit to the stand!! I've had two more discussions about the layout appearing at shows in 2017/18 and had a nice chat with the chairman of the Association of Model Railway Societies in Scotland about my failed attempts to contact the Model Rail Scotland show manager to ask if they would like to have the layout....and he promised I would get contact now and closed the conversation with something like "see you in Glasgow!"

Tomorrow, I will try to establish some media contacts to try and get the layout (and the gauge) featured somewhere. The show closes early at 4:00pm....and then the hard work starts again when I will be packing the layout back into the van and bringing home...and then unloading, as I have to take the van back Monday morning.
Doug Kightley

jpmanalo

Post by jpmanalo »

Very impressive Doug!

Good to hear that there has been an very positive response to your layout and the effort you have put into it.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Day three of the show...and in fact the whole show....is now over and the breakdown and return to base is complete. I'm quite shattered and will be retiring to bed shortly for a well earned rest!!

Today was a slightly quieter day with a noticeable greater proportion of families and less railway modelling purists. The accolades and wonderment did still continue though...including the "clever" comments and references about there being no painters or me being asked when I'll need to repaint the bridge...which although given is jest became a tad wearing and I had to force myself to smile politely!! :roll:

I didn't want to tempt fate by trying to run anything other than the 156 DMU set as the track was starting to get slightly grimy, however having said that, the DMU ran the whole day without stuttering and only stopped when I needed to change batteries in the controller mid afternoon.

I did manage to make contact with a couple of contacts at magazines...so eventually there may be something in print. One omission from the show was Railway Modeller...who I was told didn't support the GCR event as it was perceived as being too small! Is 60 layouts and 40 traders covering 35,000 sq ft small???

I have a collection of photos and video clips that I'll have to compile into a picture history of the layout's first outing. Give me a few day and I'll put it together and publish.....
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Doug Kightley

SmallCentral

Post by SmallCentral »

you can be proud , it's really amazing 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

msimister

Post by msimister »

Doug,
Was very impressed with The Bridge at the GCR event. Extraordinary work. Well done. Emphasises that T Gauge allows or requires the railway to be modelled in its environment.
Cheers,
Malcolm

JoeMalinchak

Post by JoeMalinchak »

Beautiful job on your layout, and a great video. Thanks for posting for all of us to enjoy!

Joe.

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

Thanks for letting us follow this incredible layout build....and with all the other stuff you're doing for the hobby you really are The King of T..... ;)

commerlad

Post by commerlad »

I know that essentially this build is now complete, but I do hope that you continue posting.

Have you sorted the issue with the side frames on the HST?

Could you make a heritage set (Deltic and coaches, I know I have seen an etch for this)

More vehicles and that ship.

And keep us up to date as to where we can get to see it.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Thanks everyone for the very kind words of encouragement you've all given me during the past two years or so whilst I've been doing this build.

Its not really finished. There's issues to resolve, there's things that need finishing, and there's things I want to change and/or improve following the first outing.

I'm not going to stop posting progress...but what I am going to do is to take a few weeks off from concentrated work on the project, which will mean I am likely to be posting on this thread less frequently for a while.

The layout is booked for two more shows this year (Crich Tramway Village & Warley) and at one show in February next year.....and I have two invitations on paper and promises of a further four or five invitations in the pipeline (including ModelRail Scotland). The one problem I have is that due to the lack of interest in T in my area, and that I've completed the build as a solo effort, I find it difficult to get anyone to help set up and run the layout...which is not good for me, and detracts from the layout's operational potential,,and hence its long term attractiveness.
Doug Kightley

ivanf

Post by ivanf »

better late than never - Top Job Doug. Well done. :)

and thanks for doing the video.

Looking forward to further progress.