The Bridge

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.
Nutter

Re: The Bridge

Post by Nutter »

Doug Look on "Paper Shipwright"website the do a free download of the North Queensferry Lighthouse 1/250 scale but is you can scale it down the opportunity to build it in card is there.
http://www.papershipwright.co.uk/catego ... downloads/
several useful bits on there I used them for Z where the scale difference wasn't too bad.
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Thanks for the link, Mike. The light they do was removed some years ago....and I'm not too sure exactly where it was. But some of the models are interesting....and even better, they're free thanks to a very kind creator!

A little more progress.....

I've created Inchgavie island by 3D printing and painting, and in a strange coincidence to Mike's post re "Paper Shipwright", I've also 3D printed a light that sits underneath the centre cantilever on the opposite side to Inchgavie:
IMG_2783_red.JPG
IMG_2783_red.JPG (68.13 KiB) Viewed 9256 times
IMG_2781_red.JPG
IMG_2781_red.JPG (40.6 KiB) Viewed 9256 times
The only major job left to do now is painting the water surface on six of the layout boards....a lot of spraying!! In preparation, I've painted the water's edge ready for spraying over....which I'm hoping will blend in okay! Here's a nice southwards view of the water's edge. The giveaway here are the two plastic blocks onto which piers for the bridge sit! Just try to imagine the black in the foreground is a deep blue/green.........
IMG_2790_red.JPG
IMG_2790_red.JPG (111.28 KiB) Viewed 9256 times
PS I said a post ago I suggested I 'd be stopping photos until the layout was complete. I actually meant I was not going to show any photos of the bridge in place.... ;) ;) ;) I don't want to spoil the WOW factor!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

Nutter

Post by Nutter »

Glad to have been some help there.
Some fascinating models have downloaded the free ships but am really unable to manage them in T ( might have a go at the survey ship but leaving some detail off.
Mike

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

I've commissioned the end loops and sorted out a few glitches in the loops. A misaligned joint and two or three blogs of epoxy getting in the way of wheels, etc.

And I've received a Class 156 DMU set of bodies from Frederich (Kupzinger) which I've installed onto two 23mm power units....and once I sorted out the best way to run them and added a half a weight from the expanding chassis to the non-driven ends of each unit, they are now running in quite nicely!

And to go against what I said a few days ago....here's a video of one circuit round the much shortened track loop:

Progress-wise....I still have most of the water surface to paint. I would have been working on it this afternoon, but I was recovering from a long morning out fetching some paint. I travelled into Nottingham by tram on the NET.....and a tree fell onto the line and half the system was shut down...and still is! I ended up having to walk a couple of miles and go on a round the houses bus trip to get back home. :x :x :x I live near the tram terminus....and nowhere near any bus routes!!!

One thing I've found out by doing this test running.....all my locos need some TLC and a clean out...and all rolling stock wheels need cleaning! And I need to pre-clean all of the flexitrack!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

That 156 looks good!! Will look even better on the actual bridge!

Nutter

Post by Nutter »

Looking good, :roll: I was right then needed the test run to check for track glitches.(Sorry for the last comment) :D
Mike

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Drum roll, please............

The paint may still be tacky and the glue may not have fully hardened.....but the scenery on the layout is complete! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I've finished painting the water surface.....and have fitted the island of Inchgavey and it's light into place. Which has brought me to the end of the scenery.

I still have some of the finishing touches to the layout stand to complete; the black cloth "skirt" around the sides and front and the blue backdrop that will go along the back of the layout. Both need the haute couture skills of my younger daughter...and I'm not sure if she's back from holiday yet! :oops:

So I'm going to start looking at prettying up some vehicles to distribute round the layout when I set it up at the show....and finish off prepping the rolling stock and track. And the final task will be to start packing things into boxes, etc ready to load the van on set-up day!

Edit:

Now the glue's dry, I can show a photo of Inchgavie....with a sneak peek of the bridge:
IMG_2799_red.JPG
IMG_2799_red.JPG (121.33 KiB) Viewed 9174 times
Doug Kightley

Nutter

Post by Nutter »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-D8LecfhgE

Well done It has been an epic task, (including reading this thread) but glad you can see the fruits of your labour.
Mike

rvn2001

Post by rvn2001 »

Doug, You have done an exceptional job!!!!! A quick solution for skirting might be twin-size flat bed sheets in the color of your choice. We use those on our Z scale modules.
Again, you've done a beautiful job!!! I just wish I lived on that side of the pond so I could see it in person.
Thom Welsch

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

A quick solution for skirting might be twin-size flat bed sheets in the color of your choice.
One of the big shows over here require that all material used for curtains/skirts be flameproof.....so I've purchased sufficient suitable flameproof material (10m long!!) so I can get made-to-measure skirts made.
Doug Kightley

Kupzinger

Post by Kupzinger »

Hey! Finished scenery? CONGRATULATIONS!!
Of course I liked the Video very much :) Good luck with finishing up .... Really an epic project!
Best greetings from Vienna / 156 works
Kupzinger

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Another job struck off the list....

I have a travel rig for the eight layout sections:
Img_2804_red.jpg
Img_2804_red.jpg (111.47 KiB) Viewed 9007 times
The only problem I have now is moving it! It weighs a ton. Good job the sections fit on the rig easily using three of the clips that hold the sections together....and a brace added held in place by eight screws. I intend to assemble/disassemble this lot in the van....and when I get it finished, in the trailer I have bought for the purpose.

My daughter Sophie is back from her hols and will be coming round to help with the skirt & backdrop after the weekend....

And a minor blow....I've lost my help on the Friday of the show, who has to stand in at a local village event for a colleague who is ill. This leaves me currently on my own all three days of the show. This is one of the big problems with T....no interest at club level, so not being a member of any local clubs I'm stuffed for local help! The Soar Valley club, who arrange the GCR show, are a very friendly bunch, and I'm bound to find a volunteer to mind the stand when I have to go for comfort breaks, etc. I wonder if there may be others available to help......hint, hint. ;)
Doug Kightley

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

Seriously impressive stuff. Unfortunately I'm working the entire weekend or I'd have been there just to see it in the flesh! (and play trains)
All the best for the weekend, I hope it goes well!

Nutter

Post by Nutter »

Impressive packing, spring clip on the frame for the necessary screwdiver might beat sods law :idea:
Would love to come and help but am not allowed to drive for more than an hour now otherwise I start seizing up, and family say not on my own anyway in case I have health issues. :(
Mike

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

I'm going to be speeding up the layout assembly process by swapping out the 60mm long M6 slot headed machine screws for socket head bolts of the same size. This will allow me to use a 5mm hex bit in my battery drill...which will speed up the screwing/unscrewing somewhat.

In an attempt to keep the prodding fingers at bay, I've invested in a set of barriers like the queuing system barriers at airports, etc.; chromed posts on bases with pull out tapes that connect to adjacent posts. With these barriers and the black colour scheme, the layout should stand out!!

I have to admit that with 99.9% of the hard graft now over, I'm starting to get a little excited about showing the layout.

Neil/Mike...don't worry about not being able to get. With the above barriers and the runaround loops within end enclosures, the layout should survive being lightly manned at times.
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Yesterday, I decided to do a trial assembly of the layout stand in my back garden...yes, it Just fits!!...two reasons; so I could get an idea of how long I will need to assemble the layout on-site, to practise levelling the line of tables (the temporary floor at the GCR show site is never level!!!) and to allow the measurement of the curtain and backdrop as my daughter, Sophie, was coming round to do the necessary sewing, etc.

What seemed quite innocent turned into near disaster!! The black plastic water surface sheeting...which is lightly painted with colour....didn't take kindly to being placed in direct sunshine on a hot day! One of the sheets expanded so much it "exploded" off its glue, popping a couple of the viaduct support bases off their screws. There followed a rapid retreat of the layout sections I'd put outside until the clouds reduced the heating effect. To help, I sorted out a variety of white sheets, etc to cover the dark areas...which worked!

With the sheet re-glued and the bases re-fitted, calm was restored!!!

And life is never dull! Dismantling the layout and storing it back in the house took place late evening in the failing light.....and failing power supply!! I had to break out a few candles and find a torch so I could finish off!
Doug Kightley

Nutter

Post by Nutter »

Wishing you all the best for the Bridges first show.
Mike

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Thanks Mike.

Sophie came round this afternoon and finished the sewing off on the stand curtain and backdrop. So all that's left to do is to cut a couple of pieces of flexitrack to length and dress the ends.....but I need the stand assembled to measure the exact lengths, so that can wait until the build-up.

I've finally received the paperwork for the event, so I now know the final timetable....

Thursday will be collect the van, load and travel down to Quorn and set the layout up! Early Friday morning will be final sort out and get the track in perfect condition ready for the show opening.

The show hours are 10:00 am to 5:00 pm Friday and Saturday, and 10:00 am to 4:00 pm on Sunday.

Breakdown and packing the van will start as soon as the show closes...and I'll hopefully not be too late home. The day won't be over though, as I'll need to unload the van ready to return it to base on Monday morning. Then I'll be able to collapse!!!!

There will be free wifi connection available for displays and traders....so if I get chance, I'll post reports during the show. And there'll be pictures galore after the show...and probably a vid or two!
Doug Kightley

martink

Post by martink »

Good luck with the show - I think we are all waiting eagerly to see the pictures and videos of the finished layout.

A last minute suggestion... write a quick one- or two-page blurb about T gauge in general and your layout in particular and print up a couple of hundred copies. I've done that each time I've shown Sarum and have never had to take any home with me.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Thanks Martin. You're not the only one looking forward to seeing the finished layout. I am.....I've not had the whole thing assembled yet!!! Its only been part-assembled so far.

And I've got some business cards with the forum details on ready for visitors to collect. There'll also likely to be a leaflet from TGauge.com with a show offer.
Doug Kightley