The Bridge

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.
jerrybigcat

Re: The Bridge

Post by jerrybigcat »

I hope you feel better soon.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

I hope you feel better soon.
Thanks....apart from my left side feeling slightly uncomfortable, I'm just about back to some form of normal. :? I'm still somewhat worried about what may be wrong...but hopefully I'll find out some time next week!

Anyway, I've started working on 'tuther end of the layout..Sections 6 & 7 to be precise:
Img_2677_red.jpg
Img_2677_red.jpg (113.16 KiB) Viewed 7489 times
The Sea Life centre to the left, the base of the North cantilever tower in the background, and part of the old village of North Queensferry in the foreground....where there's lots of buildings yet to position.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

This shot doesn't look that much different from the last one. I have, however started adding some of the finer detail such as fences and hedges and re-contoured some ground profiles.
Img_2678_red.jpg
Img_2678_red.jpg (117.24 KiB) Viewed 7466 times
I've also had to re-design, print and paint one of the buildings. I originally thought it would be only half on the layout and created it half cut off, but then found it would all fit, so had to re-make it.

I'm also being slowed by having to fit buildings into the road sections where there's a slope in the road surface. Four of the buildings in the left front corner are set into the road in this way.

I'm still working very carefully and in short stints to protect the area around my ribcage from being strained. It's still uncomfortable....and I really don't want to trigger the sort of pain attacks I had over last weekend. :x :x :x
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

Nutter

Post by Nutter »

Take care Doug, I have severe problems with muscle pain/strain in my chest and know how bad it can be.
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.

SmallCentral

Post by SmallCentral »

Nutter wrote:Take care Doug,
+1

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

I know it's a small landmark...but it's a landmark!

Layout section 6 is now complete apart from the shoreline and water surface.
Img_2683_red.jpg
Img_2683_red.jpg (125.16 KiB) Viewed 7443 times
That's three out of eight sections to reach that state.....
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Steady progress being made...

I now have another bit of the scenery completed. It's still wet, which explains why it's looking lighter than the adjacent section:
IMG_2692_red.JPG
IMG_2692_red.JPG (83.6 KiB) Viewed 7408 times
I'm currently ploughing through the old village of North Queensferry and its road layout. Here's the latest shot:
IMG_2691_red.JPG
IMG_2691_red.JPG (105.78 KiB) Viewed 7408 times
The Sea Life Centre car park is down, awaiting its access road. Having fitted three or four particularly awkward 3D printed parts, I'm quite chuffed with the complex junction of Main Road, Ferryhill Road and Old Kirk Road:
Img_2693_red.jpg
Img_2693_red.jpg (108.5 KiB) Viewed 7408 times
The photo doesn't show it very well, but none of the printed bits are at the same level as anything else. One thing you can see in the bottom shot is the war memorial and a couple of seats in the yet to be completed gardens.
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

And with a layout section re-shuffle, the light at the end of the tunnel (scenery wise) is in sight!!!
IMG_2694_red.JPG
IMG_2694_red.JPG (127.71 KiB) Viewed 7406 times
This shot shows sections 7 & 8, which is the very north of the layout. Once all this is sceneried, there's just an island on section 4 or 5 to do!! :P :P
Doug Kightley

Nutter

Post by Nutter »

All I can say is WOW
Mike

commerlad

Post by commerlad »

Those car parks still look remakably bare.

When do you intend to strike up production on the cars?

Or is Cowley still out on strike :lol: ?

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

When do you intend to strike up production on the cars?
Well volunteered! I'll have as many as you can do. :roll:

Well, the tarmac might still be warm (well, damp really!) .....but we're ready for McWimpey to move in!
IMG_2697_red.JPG
IMG_2697_red.JPG (99.94 KiB) Viewed 8625 times
And the landscape gardener is on standby! ;)
Doug Kightley

commerlad

Post by commerlad »

QUOTE "Well volunteered! I'll have as many as you can do. "

Although I did in a roundabout way work for Peugeot (Assembling wiring looms), I do not own a 3D printer :cry:

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Well the builders are in.....
Img_2700_red.jpg
Img_2700_red.jpg (149.06 KiB) Viewed 8603 times
About 70% of the buildings in view are fixed in position. I need to paint ground textures next so I can fix the rest of the buildings....and then there's fences and trees, etc.

Got distracted earlier today by an email. I'd just squirted one part of an epoxy mix on a piece of card...then quickly read the email. I squirted the second part of the epoxy, mixed it and glued four or five buildings down. Five minutes later, the epoxy had not set! I then realised I 'd used two lots of hardener in the mix...and no resin! Duh!! :roll: :roll: Epoxy is messy stuff to remove.
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Well, I think I'm going to have to watch a film or something!!

I've had another productive day. I have a batch of freshly assembled trees drying. I have a batch of fences and hedges pinned and glued in place, drying. And I have a couple of road sections freshly glued together and varnished, drying!

And its getting close to the time when I need to start the countdown clock. :? :? :? :? The 17th June is not that far away!
Doug Kightley

Nutter

Post by Nutter »

Have you got all the bridge sections completed yet or is there likely to be some last minute 3D printing activity. :)

How about A Bridge to Far as a film to watch :D
Mike

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Have you got all the bridge sections completed yet or is there likely to be some last minute 3D printing activity.
I have a few pieces of the two truss sections that join the cantilever sections yet to print....so, yes, there will be a bit more printing to do.

I've not had chance to do too much today as I've been out most of the day. I have, however, managed to glue down a tricky piece of road that feeds houses on four different levels!!
IMG_2702_red.JPG
IMG_2702_red.JPG (84.32 KiB) Viewed 8569 times
Once this bit is dry, I can start laying down the final set of road sections that cover the high-level section of North Queensferry.

"Les Amants du Pont-Neuf" might have been a more appropriate film to watch. ;) I don't think I did end up watching a film....spent the evening browsing the net and watching the odd video on You Tube.
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

I'm progressing well with the final set of road sections.

All bar five sections are now fitted into place, which required a lot of careful sanding to get the ground profile right! Here's the current state:
IMG_2705_red.JPG
IMG_2705_red.JPG (173.2 KiB) Viewed 8553 times
Believe it or not, but I'm being slowed by not having enough pins. I have more than a hundred....but need to use a lot to hold down the edges of the sections whilst the glue is drying.

If I can get the scenery at this end of the layout finished by the end of this week, then I'll be happy!
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

With a few days progress under my belt I can report I have now finally got all of the road sections glued into place and have been able to do a dry run of locating the remainder of the buildings:
Img_2710_red.jpg
Img_2710_red.jpg (130.04 KiB) Viewed 8525 times
This shot is a day or two old and doesn't show the latest stae of the ground surface....which has turned green in several places.

Parallel to this, I've been progressing on with adding fences, walls and general shrubbery and trees on the lower section of the village. Here's the current view of the area I've just finished adding flock, etc to. As in previous pictures, things look slightly pale because the PVA glue still needs to dry. There's also a few pins to remove, and some debris to clear up!!
Img_2713_red.jpg
Img_2713_red.jpg (132.93 KiB) Viewed 8525 times
Yesterday, I had something happen for only the second time on this build.....as I was vacuuming up surplus bits and pieces, one of the un-glued buildings disappeared up the suction hose! Good job my vacuum is a Dyson and I could see where it ended up in the collection chamber without having to empty everything out! Another problem unique to T. ;)
Doug Kightley

Kupzinger

Post by Kupzinger »

Genious! The last image - just like the real thing.
Are you planning a background image or something similar?

Cheers
Kupzinger

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Are you planning a background image or something similar?
I do have a backdrop to install. It's plain blue at present and plans are to hand paint a background onto it........but I don't think I'll get chance to do this before the first outing.

I was thinking at one time to generate an image from Google Earth and then poster print it onto iron-on transfer paper, and then apply the transfer onto the background cloth. The only problem is that the background cloth has to be made out of flameproof material to conform to the H&S requirements of some exhibition halls.....and I'm not sure if the material is suitable to be heated for the application of the transfers! This is something I need to investigate when I get time.
Doug Kightley