The Bridge

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.
ivanf

Re: The Bridge

Post by ivanf »

the roundabout etc is looking very effective

and glad to hear printing is back on...

It'll be quite a milestone getting one of the towers assembled.... bits crossed. :)

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

After a few weeks away from this project, I'm now back on the case now I've got unofficial confirmation that the first outing will be in June next year! :shock: :shock:

I've spent today cleaning up the rail deck and girderwork components for the two viaduct sections. Here's a box of ready-to-assemble parts:
Img_2177_red.jpg
Img_2177_red.jpg (129.5 KiB) Viewed 7288 times
I'm intending making up three five element sections....one for the North end and two for the South end...ready for painting. I first intend to get a fresh tube of superglue for this first major assembly task!

And then it'll be the central tower.......... ;)
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

The viaduct sections......all 15 of them....are now glued together successfully with superglue. The new Loctite superglue bottle dispensing system works perfectly and allows superb control over applying glue. The bottle now has ribbed plastic sections each side of the bottle that you gently squeeze together to precisely control the liquid.

I've moved on to the central tower and have the sides and diagonal tubes gleud together. Here's a photo of the two sections, one with the lower and upper crossmembers loosly fitted:
Img_2179_red.jpg
Img_2179_red.jpg (133.56 KiB) Viewed 7244 times
I'm having trouble cleaning up the large vertical criss-cross girder sections that form the ends of the tower section...I'm having to redesign them and break them into two sections so they print better!

And why's it always me?? :x I fitted a new nozzle in my printer a week or so ago...and I've been having problems with the nozzle hitting the previous layer when printing the next layer and causing damage. On close inspection of the nozzle face I found a ridge around the outer edge....so the nozzle was binned and a new one fitted. The result....the issue has gone away!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

Nutter

Post by Nutter »

Nice to see it progressing well
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.

martink

Post by martink »

Ditto - this is one I am really looking forward to seeing. Between the bridge itself and the surrounding buildings, you really do seem to be pushing your poor old 3D printer to its absolute limit.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

At last......a glimpse of the glory of the bridge!! :) :)

Here's a few photos of the very first trial assembly of the centre tower:
Img_2181_red.jpg
Img_2181_red.jpg (225.66 KiB) Viewed 7174 times
A closer look at some of the girderwork
A closer look at some of the girderwork
Img_2182_red.jpg (127.06 KiB) Viewed 7200 times
And a cab view!!
And a cab view!!
Img_2183_red.jpg (74.04 KiB) Viewed 7200 times
And just for fun........compare the bottom photo with a still from a cab ride video:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (65.44 KiB) Viewed 7200 times
Doug Kightley

ivanf

Post by ivanf »

lookin' awsome Doug... :)

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

I've spent the day "fitting" all the 34 separate pieces together......and I'm quite amazed at how they do actually fit together giving what will be a very rigid and true structure.

I've not plucked up the courage to actually glue everything together...yet! I intend getting the other two towers to the same state....and then do a mass glueing session.

And to answer Martin's comment.....yes, the printer's been getting a right bashing over the last two years. Not as bad as Trigger's broom, but I've had to replace a cooling fan twice, and a hot end tube and thermocouple once.....and I've been through about five nozzles! If I were to make a guess, I think the printer has been printing for somewhere in excess of 2000 hours since I've had it! Perhaps I'll one day try and work out how much I've spent on filament...I'll have all the payment records somewhere.
Doug Kightley

NoelDollimore

Post by NoelDollimore »

Mamoth, 'Fantastic' job there Doug, what an advert for the printer manufacturers eh ?
Looking forward to seeing the completed model.
By the way, have you ordered your bulk delivery of glue yet.
More power to your elbow Doug, keep up the good work and I hope it all comes together with no problems.
Best wishes, Noel.
Knowledge is of no value unless it is shared, if you can remember it !!

JBModels

Post by JBModels »

Wow!! Even in T gauge that's huge!! Excellent work there mate....
LOL! Some people need a to think logically, or rather just have common sense!

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

And then there was three:
Img_2189_red.jpg
Img_2189_red.jpg (91.33 KiB) Viewed 7747 times
Just like the central tower, the north and south towers are trial assembled...although having said that, the sides are glued together (the side tubes, joints, bottom tube, top girder and diagonal tubes).

I now need to establish where I got to with printing the parts for the six arms.....
Doug Kightley

Nutter

Post by Nutter »

Comments can't describe how impressive this will be .
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.

Reith01

Post by Reith01 »

Brilliant. I keep having to remind myself what scale this is in.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

With my printer 12 hours into printing a set of tube sections for the cantilever arms, I got bored and tried my hand at an unusual photo:
Img_2226_red.jpg
Img_2226_red.jpg (93.86 KiB) Viewed 7674 times
btw...the "rocket fins" are designed to break off. Their needed to keep the tubes stable whilst being printed.
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Just a quick update.....

The tubes being printed in the above photo are in fact the first of five pieces that make up the cantilever arm lower tubes. For the keen eyed....I've printed a few spares, just in case!

I've printed all six of the second, third and fourth sections of tubes successfully...but have been struggling with the last section in the sequence! :( Because they're getting rather small in diameter, I've had to give up trying to print the tubes vertically, I've now laid them down, and am currently printing them off one by one. Three left hand tubes completed as I type....and the fourth is printing. Two more left handed to do, and then the six right handed. And then onto the girders that run along the top of the arms...again they'll be in five sections.
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Time for an update.....

I'm working my way through printing components for the six cantilever arms. Fortunately, they're all the same...which makes things easier to track. Here's a photo of the three towers and the parts printed so far for the arms:
P1010610_red.jpg
P1010610_red.jpg (100.5 KiB) Viewed 7575 times
A quick count indicates there's 225 separate printed components in the above shot...give or take a couple! And at an estimate there's probably around another 200 to go!
Doug Kightley

barneyadi

Post by barneyadi »

Looking great Doug.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Today, I've printed the smallest part of the bridge so far:
IMG_2253_red.JPG
IMG_2253_red.JPG (99.37 KiB) Viewed 7521 times
And its taken more than its fair share of time to actually get anywhere near presentable!! About 20 separate prints...with tweaks to the settings in between. I daren't show what the first print looked like....and don't ask, cos' I've chucked it away
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

I'm still working my way through printing the various components that will make up the structure of the sides of each of the six arms. Once they're all printed and cleaned up, I'll be putting the sides together so I'll get a picture of the exact length of the bridge. I'll then be able to finish designing the parts for the two truss sections that connect the arches together.

While I'm doing that, I'll be starting to print all of the cross-bracing and rail deck supports. I've set myself a target of completing all the printing by the end of December...which will give me around 4 months to finish off the scenery. Time will only tell if this plan will work! :shock:
Doug Kightley

rvn2001

Post by rvn2001 »

At least you've got a plan. I'm looking forward to seeing this bridge completed.
Thom Welsch