The Bridge

Post details of your T gauge layouts and the progress you are making.
dkightley

Re: The Bridge

Post by dkightley »

Set up day at the TrainWest show is over.....and I'm sure this is a world first....the very first T Gauge layout at an exhibition utilising DCC operation!!

The slow running performance is absolutely stunning. The demo rig that Alan had on display at Warley and Doncaster did not have the DCC decoders set up to operate the power cars correctly...and didn't show the great benefit of DCC. I have set up the four DMU power cars so that they are speed restricted, and have a smooth acceleration and deceleration curve.

I#ll try and get a video shot over the weekend and post it when I get back home.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

Nutter

Post by Nutter »

dkightley wrote:Set up day at the TrainWest show is over.....and I'm sure this is a world first....the very first T Gauge layout at an exhibition utilising DCC operation!!

The slow running performance is absolutely stunning. The demo rig that Alan had on display at Warley and Doncaster did not have the DCC decoders set up to operate the power cars correctly...and didn't show the great benefit of DCC. I have set up the four DMU power cars so that they are speed restricted, and have a smooth acceleration and deceleration curve.

I#ll try and get a video shot over the weekend and post it when I get back home.

Look forward to the video Doug. ;) Hope it is all trouble free.
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.

gbtrains

Post by gbtrains »

Hi Doug

Can not wait to see vid.

Glad that you have done it now all in DCC .

Well done.

Regards
Graham :D

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

I've managed to get time to put together the few clips I took of DCC running at TrainWest:

Most of these clips are after a full day's running...which will explain the very occasional stutter. I have some fine tuning still to do on the acceleration and deceleration settings within the decoder......and to the control script which drives the throttle changes to slow the train down, etc.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

msimister

Post by msimister »

That's wonderfully smooth running Doug. Great stuff.
Cheers,
Malcolm

NeilM

Post by NeilM »

Great to see the layout running so well Doug. You are continuing to push forward what can be done in T.

Just need some decent points now then so many more layout options will become avaialble!

I noticed you have on e of my 'Corgi' Autin Cambridges outside the station in the video. Does this ever generate any comments from anyone old enough to know and who sees the humour? I suspect that it would do on my layout, but I can well imagine it would not on yours as there is so much else to see and talk about.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

I've been pointed to YouTube by a colleague as he had found a few videos featuring The Bridge at Trainwest 2018.

Here's a link to one of them:
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

I've finally got round to being able to post a few photos from the marvellous show at Locomotion.....the NRM's northern museum site in Shildon.

Here, the Bridge has been nestling amongst a few famous real life railway museum pieces:
P1020038_red.JPG
P1020038_red.JPG (112.76 KiB) Viewed 6903 times
The prototype Deltic pokes it's nose over the end of the layout

P1020040_red.JPG
P1020040_red.JPG (110.26 KiB) Viewed 6903 times
P1020041_red.JPG
P1020041_red.JPG (105.15 KiB) Viewed 6903 times
Two of the carriages from the original APT...the first tilting train!!…..within touching distance.

Out of sight, round a corner was a replica of Sans Pareil, Timothy Hackworth's entry in the famous Rainham trials.

It felt as if the layout was surrounded by railway history...and looked as if it was "at home" according to at least two people I spoke to, one of whom was a visitor guide at the site.

The DCC worked its magic again. I had one DMU running unattended and continuously all day both days, slowing and stopping at all stations......reliably and very smoothly!

And I had at least two enquiries re shows in 2019 during the show....and one via Alan @ TGauge.com in the past day.....
Doug Kightley

lyneux

Post by lyneux »

Hi Doug,

I loved seeing The Bridge at the CMRA show earlier this year!

I'm trying to get in touch regarding DEMU Showcase. Perhaps you can PM me regarding contact details for the layout?

Kind regards,

Guy

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Hi Guy

You will have received a PM.

Doug
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Nice video of The Bridge at its last outing.....

Doug Kightley

gbtrains

Post by gbtrains »

Hi Dough

that looks to be running smothly now.
When is the Bridge next out in around the Yorkshire region? :D
Graham

rail450

Post by rail450 »

Hi Dough,

which glue and which ballast are you using to get realistic looking track beds ?

BR,

Siegfried

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Hi Seigfried

There's no special trickery involved here.....just the simple fact that if you feed just the right amount of visual information, then the human brain has this feature that it automatically adds a level of detail to what it recognises.....and things look a lot better than they really are!

Believe it or not, I painted a strip of 3-ply wood with brownish acrylic paint and then simply superglued the track on top when the paint was dry.

The end result then gets mixed up amongst the large number of other "low resolution" finishes.....giving the viewer the impression of there being a high level of detail! You just have to then discourage the use of macro lenses!!!

And on the bridge structure itself, the sections of flexitrack simply slot into shallow matt black painted "T" section slots in the top surface of the girder elements.
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Having been so busy involved in other things, I've been neglecting the forum....and haven't said anything about The Bridge being invited to the Spalding MRC show over last weekend.

The show was quite busy...and there were many visitors that hadn't seen T gauge before....but also a lot of visitors who'd seen the layout before...and were enquiring about my next project!!

One outcome from this show is that the layout has got to have some TLC before its next outing. Track joints are getting very worn and loose, etc, and the signals all need replacing...as does the temporary wiring I did when I fitted the DCC boxes. I had a fault develop at one end of the layout that prevented me using the automation...and I had to run trains manually.
Doug Kightley

gbtrains

Post by gbtrains »

Hi Dough

Well your layout has been out alot and T-guage is still new for building layouts up and then packing them back down so I think that it has done very well on the wear and tear. :)

Hope you can still hav the singal lights all repaired as this really wows the audiance with how small it all is. :D

Regards
Graham

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

With three weeks to go to the next outing, I thought I'd better get the layout out of storage and look at the issues I identified last time out!

Assembled the electrics and checked the track sensors.....all worked after a few tweaks of some of the sensitivity pots. Signals checked and one signal completely missing!!! All other signals in working order.

Placed an order with TGauge.com for replacement flexitrack and track joiners. I'm going to swap out all the loose straight sections for nice & straight new ones. The old track will come in useful on the Saltash layout for behind the scenes areas.
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Having had deep thoughts, I've come to a decision that this year, 2019, may be the last season I will be accepting invitations to take The Bridge out to shows.

This year will see the layout at four shows...and the layout will have made it to England, Scotland and Wales...which is not bad. And the total number of shows will be 24...which is pretty good. This retirement (which may even be semi-retirement) is to allow me to concentrate on getting The Bridges at Saltash finished and ready for what might be an equally long run of shows

The Bridge will be stored away in an "almost ready to run" state. I will resist totally the urge to "rob" it of bits so it can be brought back into service some day in the future if needed.

But there's four shows to go......so lets not get sentimental yet!!
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

With a double weekend of shows coming up in around 4 to 5 weeks, I'm having to step back from Saltash....and get one or two running issues resolved on The Bridge....

I've been having issues getting more than one train running at a time under script control under CBUS. The script works perfect for one train.....but I've designed the script so it can be run two or three times together with each script running one train....and the signalling logic keeping them running in sync. But....for some unknown reason, the DCC throttle control in the second and subsequent script fails to register the power unit.

I'm also limited by the number of DCC trains I have available. I have the two existing DMUs...a 158 two-car set and a 170 three car set. I need to get a couple of extra running sets installed with DCC boards.....and what I get running will depend on how things pan out.
Doug Kightley

gbtrains

Post by gbtrains »

Hi Doug

Good luck with getting your DCC chips in and wiring them.
I have not gone down that route yet as I am very new to DCC concept.

Great that the layout is still running very well as you have done quite a lot of exhibitions with it. :D

regards
Graham