we(I) need Tgauge equipment

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.
mattinair

we(I) need Tgauge equipment

Post by mattinair »

I'm posting this closeup of my "forklift" to remind you shapeways people that you really don't need to sweat the details in 1/450.....would be great to see a few pieces of construction equipment...there's really nothing out there
DSCN1577_01.JPG
DSCN1577_01.JPG (104.91 KiB) Viewed 11138 times
I've order a fair amount of stuff from some people on this forum and it's been really great......

Nutter

Re: we(I) need Tgauge equipment

Post by Nutter »

If you get desperate and can find them online try the Herpa 1/500 airport accessories - cranes, cars, lorries including construction equipment.
http://www.herpa.de I know some are discontinued but you might be lucky.
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

I'm not a fan of Shapeways....purely on the basis that the way I develop models (initial design...print...modify design....print...modify design, etc) would end up far too expensive and take way too long for me to keep up interest in what I'm doing. I like to develop the finished article....rather than the virtual design!!

Now I've really got to grips with how it can be set up, my printer can successfully printing 0.05mm layers with a 0.2mm nozzle. Once I've finished mass printing for The Bridge, I'll have to see what small items I can successfully produce.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Considering it's not long since my last post, how's this for a first print??
P1010690_red.JPG
P1010690_red.JPG (44.89 KiB) Viewed 11125 times
The bit that looks like a wing mirror that's too low is actually a bit of flash!! I need to try adding a mirror in the right place! And there's lots of modding left to do...
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

rvn2001

Post by rvn2001 »

http://shpws.me/Dcct

This should be a link to some T scale construction equipment on Shapeways.
Thom Welsch

NeilM

Post by NeilM »

Very impressive, Doug. That shows what your printer is capable of now you have really got the hang of it - am looking forward to seeing what else you will produce.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

Thanks so much for all your inputs.......I'll be checking out the various links you all have suggested shortly........It is, like I said, an addiction so I'll be ordering stuff soon......Nice bus D......and Neil I know it's not prototype but could you put a dump-truck bed on the back of those wonderful looking little snout nosed van things you've been posting lately...(?)

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

http://shpws.me/Dcct .....These are Z gauge ....I made the forklift by grinding down the back half of the little backhoe tractor....but still they're pretty neat...nothing in 1/500 on te other link suggested....bummer

rvn2001

Post by rvn2001 »

The link that I posted at Shapeways was for T gauge equipment. Stony does a lot of Z scale and he probably has these in Z but the link is to his T gauge version.
Thom Welsch

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

I ordered these from the exact same page.It said Tgauge...
DSCN1590_01.JPG
DSCN1590_01.JPG (66.49 KiB) Viewed 11103 times
But when you put them next to Tgauge stuff they're just way too big...
DSCN1594_01.JPG
DSCN1594_01.JPG (61.66 KiB) Viewed 11103 times

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

In T gauge you wouldn't need stuff like tread on the wheels or double arms holding the blade.....I think you could get away visually with about 2/3 this size and half the detail :)

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

Check the end of page 1 for photos of what I'm talking about.....

NeilM

Post by NeilM »

mattinair wrote:Neil I know it's not prototype but could you put a dump-truck bed on the back of those wonderful looking little snout nosed van things you've been posting lately...(?)
They did make a pick up version of the Austin 7 - or at least customer coachbuilders did - but I do not think a dump truck would work very well. You saw the images out of context, so may not realise how small that vehicle is. When I put it against my T scale Dodge Charger it is barely longer than the Charger is wide!

Not saying I will not create a dump truck, as I do want some myself. Maybe if I get time over Christmas I will look into it (but with the usual disclaimer that I can be distracted and end up doing something entirely different!)
Neil

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

which reminds me I'v got to order a couple of those D chargers........Neil, the pick version sounds great. are you going to try and make any?.....love your stuff.....scale is spot on...

Reith01

Post by Reith01 »

dkightley wrote:I'm not a fan of Shapeways....purely on the basis that the way I develop models (initial design...print...modify design....print...modify design, etc) would end up far too expensive and take way too long for me to keep up interest in what I'm doing. I like to develop the finished article....rather than the virtual design!!

Now I've really got to grips with how it can be set up, my printer can successfully printing 0.05mm layers with a 0.2mm nozzle. Once I've finished mass printing for The Bridge, I'll have to see what small items I can successfully produce.
I'm a tad disappointed with Shapeways. Some buildings were done very well but are too small a scale to fit in with 1/450 buildings. (I may offer them here for the price of the postage in the end). But none can beat your work.

I bought a station building alleged to have fine detail. It would have but for the texture of the plastic overtaking the detail, making it impossible to paint! A spotting sable might do it but it would be quicker to do the thing in card. The windows were supposed to be transparent but on washing them they went opaque. So, I'm wary now. Wagon bodies I bought are fine.

NeilM

Post by NeilM »

Would that be my station building you ordered? If so then you must have selected to print in White Stong Flexible (WSF) rather than Frosted Ultra Detail (FUD), because all the sales I have had for this have been in that material. This is the only model where I allowed this choice - in fact it is the only one of my models that will print in this material.

In a previous post I did a comparison photo of WSF and FUD to show the difference in detail from the same model printed in both. The difference is quite clear to see
For T gauge forum - Station Building 001.jpg
For T gauge forum - Station Building 001.jpg (53.22 KiB) Viewed 10919 times

As to cleaning the models - talking about FUD or FXD here - there are two ways;
First method, soaking in white spirits or other alcohol based solution. This will clean very effectively, but the model will come out of the wash white (or will turn white as it dries)
Second method, scrubbing in warm water with a mild detergent, followed by a thorough rinse. This is more work, but doing it this way leaves the model clear, so is what you want if you are after clear windows.

The latter is how I cleaned my station building. I have just recently completed the painting on this, and will add it to my own thread when I have taken a photo.

As for size - models on Shapeways can easily be resized directly on the site by the models owner, without needing to go back to the original 3d model. My station is a model of a small station, inspired by a model I saw on a layout, so was really designed for more of a light railway look rather than any kind of mainline station.
Neil

Reith01

Post by Reith01 »

No, Neil, wasn't that one. I forget which (to name it) so I'll have to look it up on Shapeways. But basically the model is notionally fine - the detail is there but lost under the grain of the printing. If I had a drill more akin to a dentist drill than a dremel plus a very steady hand.... well, it's a choice of spending time trying to sort it out or use a spotting brush to try to dot in the detail...

If it can be rescued it's a lot better than I could do with card. The station is one of those "areas of interest" so I'll be looking at it a bit further on. Huh, the rate I'm going it'll probably be the middle of next year!

Cheers,
Ivor

rvn2001

Post by rvn2001 »

I just finished chatting with Stony, the designer I linked to, and he said he would be happy to address any issues we have. I looked closer at the set online and it looks like the road grader referenced in the picture is much larger than the other equipment. How does the other equipment compare to T scale trains?
Thom Welsch

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

Well here's a photo of a front-loader and a bulldozer next to one of Neil's Rovers....Stony's stuff has really incredible detail...the tracks and wheels actually have tread on them !!!.....I'm using one of the bulldozers in the background on my layout....some of the very largest bulldozers are this big.....
DSCN1599_01.JPG
DSCN1599_01.JPG (97.65 KiB) Viewed 10884 times
there are front-loaders that big but not this type...the front wheel on the loader should be about the same size as the wheel on Neil's Rover....Stony's stuff is great but I could live without the tread and wouldn't be bothered if the shovel on the loader was attached with just a single tab Etc. Etc if they were just a little smaller...I'll try and post some photos of a "shapeway bashed" loader I've started on...I actually bought some really neat looking dump trucks from Stony but they were in TT (N(?))scale ....I tried several times to contact Stony about making a simpler version of the same design in t 1/450 scale but he never got back to me...may be you would have better luck...(?)

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

Just a quick shapeway-bashing on the front-loader...ground down the cab and put on the wheels from the grader.....looks more prototypical ....but still could be smaller
DSCN1610_01.JPG
DSCN1610_01.JPG (71.09 KiB) Viewed 10881 times