Upping the resolution...

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.
dkightley

Upping the resolution...

Post by dkightley »

Ever since I got my printer, it's had a 0.4 mm diameter extrusion nozzle and I've been able to print objects using layer thicknesses from 0.35 mm down to 0.05 mm. This has had an effect on the resolution I could design and print objects at.

Today, I bit the bullet and swapped out the 0.4 mm nozzle for a 0.2 mm nozzle. After nearly the rest of the day....and at least 12 iterations of modding the printer settings, I've finally been able to get a first object to print at a higher resolution.....an updated version of my Bany Deltic, where I've been able to add a few extra details.

Here's a couple of photos of both the new and old shells sid by side. Beware....the camera never lies!
P1010441_red.JPG
P1010441_red.JPG (72.56 KiB) Viewed 3568 times
P1010440_red.JPG
P1010440_red.JPG (42.92 KiB) Viewed 3568 times
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

henningz
Location: Barsinghausen (It's near Hanover), Lower Saxony, Germany

Re: Upping the resolution...

Post by henningz »

Good work...And after a smooth sanding and fine painting there would be no optical difference to Shapeway's FUD from - let's say - 2 feet watching distance :D
printed on 100 percent recycled electrons

JBModels

Post by JBModels »

Massive improvement I mist say! And incredible for what I presume is a home 3D printer??

Cheers!
JBModels.
LOL! Some people need a to think logically, or rather just have common sense!

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Now I've proved I can get a higher resolution finish, I'll have to set aside some time to put into place some of the developmant plans I've had for a while.

No promises or announcements yet..but I'm hopeful to get some development time in the next month or two. ;)
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk