UK outline stock

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.
mattd10

UK outline stock

Post by mattd10 »

It's been a little while since I did anything modelling based and with a move coming up, that will remain the case for physical modelling. This is, however, a perfect opportunity to have another look at what 3D models I have and what's half finished and try and get some more done!

As it stands I have test prints for a class 90, 165, 220, 350/450 and 444. All need a few minor tweaks and the EMU's need artwork drawn up for decals to get them to a stage I'm happy with. I also have a fully drawn class 158 but am yet to order a print.

My "in progress" folder is a bit of a mixed bag. There's a class 86, 313/315, 325, Eurostar, Javelin and Pendolino :shock: Some are in a better state than others, but all are workable.

What I'd really like is to focus more on freight. I have a large bogey tank wagon drawn up (very generic) which can accommodate either a motorised or non motorised chassis and I would like to do the same with a hopper wagon, container wagons and the high sided wagons (for scrap and the like). This way realistic consists can be modelled with hidden power units helping out.

As you can probably tell I have no particular layout ideas in mind. When I do get around to it, it will probably be as generic as possible so I can run whatever I like on it which means I can just draw up whatever takes my fancy! This thread is mostly a way to document my progress on this and I'll try and upload some screenshots of how it's going.

henningz
Location: Barsinghausen (It's near Hanover), Lower Saxony, Germany

Re: UK outline stock

Post by henningz »

Your ideas about freight wagons accommodating motorised chassis are sounding good, and i'd like a pendolino :)
I'm going to follow this thread...
printed on 100 percent recycled electrons

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

Just so you can picture what I mean....
Tank wagon outside.png
Tank wagon outside.png (31.65 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
Tank wagon inside.png
Tank wagon inside.png (43.4 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
As I'm sure lots of you know, sketchup doesn't take kindly to curves, but I'm going to try and smooth them out some more to get a better look to it.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

As I'm sure lots of you know, sketchup doesn't take kindly to curves, but I'm going to try and smooth them out some more to get a better look to it.
To help you decide if you do actually need to go any further with your curves, here's the nose of my Baby Deltic:
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (44.52 KiB) Viewed 9880 times
Personally, I think what you have now will be okay.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

Thanks Doug. I always get a tad carried away and forget just how small these things are! It's looking like I may have to start from scratch as I've found a few walls with 0 thinkness which are rather important :oops: Should give me a chance to get a basic framework drawn up that I can then work around, making future models/variations easier.

I was thinking of designing it to print in full colour sandstone to make things a bit easier (as spoorobjecten did back in the day with his Dutch T gauge stuff) but the minimum wall thicknesses are 2mm so it's a bit of a non-starter. There is a full colour plastic in development so I may keep those tolerances in mind when designing (0.7mm walls is a bit more sensible!)

ivanf

Post by ivanf »

I tried the new detail full colour and was more than a little dissapointed... model was banana shaped, colours were mudy and the detail printing just didn't happen.

They gave me a refund and I haven't tried again.

It may have improved but I wouldn't do too much before you try a print.

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

Well I somehow managed to get sidetracked...driving down by the south coast I spotted a Southern class 313 and decided a nice coastal line for these to operate loosely based on Seaford would be nice in T! A bit of artistic license will be used, but for now the layout is just an idea.

Here's how far I've gotten so far. It's drawn up in full size from drawings I have, I just need to add cab doors and windows and then it'll be resized to T. Unfortunately they aren't very tall units as they were originally designed to fit London Underground infrastructure so I may need to steal a millimetre or two when I scale it down :lol:
Class 313
Class 313
class 313.png (28.46 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
Once finished I'm going to custom design decals that will fit perfectly (I hope) to finish it all off. I know you can get overlays from eletra for this class, but I want the shape to be right, even if I'm the only one who notices!

I'm hoping to get the design stuff all finished by the weekend, then I'll order a test (as well as some other bits to make the postage more bearable) and then start the graphic design!

JBModels

Post by JBModels »

Hi,

Lovely work there mattd10. I myself have a small list of British stock I want to design. I've been after some more prototypical and accurate British stock. So here is a list of stuff that I am going to design in the coming months.

- Class 08 (non-powered)
- Class 20 (non-powered)
- Class 31
- Class 37
- HST power cars
- Class 50
- Class 58 (non-powered)
- Class 59
- Class 60
- Class 67
- Class 86
- Class 87
- Class 89
- Class 90
- Mk3 coaches

I know some exist and some are being done by others, but I am just having a go at trying to make T gauge models that will be as detailed as 3D printing will allow.

Cheers!
JBModels

PS: To increase the accuracy I may just make all locos as non-powered models and have a Mk3 coach or any freight wagon designed as a powered one.
LOL! Some people need a to think logically, or rather just have common sense!

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

These are a great selection of units and I wish you luck with them. Having them all unpowered with screw on bogies or similar will give good accuracy, but on this scale I find that a few mm here and there doesn't notice too much.

JBModels

Post by JBModels »

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the well wishes. Indeed I have gone for the non powered variants for the accuracy because my views are actually just the opposite of yours. Well you can correct me if I am wrong (so feel free to do so) but my understanding is that a few mm in T 1:450 scale is actually rather alot than compared to a few mm in HO or OO scale. So hence why I want full accuracy in the locos because most of them are short and not fully apt for the 18m chassis. The wheel base on a 16m chassis is very unrealistic. So that affect the full underframe them. The chassis are perfect for coaching. Therefore a Mk3 coach of a large hopper wagon like the DRAX ones will be better.

Cheers!
JBModels.

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

You are correct, 1mm difference scaling to a massive 45cm in full size. But my logic is that if you make a model a few mm shorter to fit on a motorised chassis it will be very hard for the naked eye to tell the difference.

At a normal viewing distance all of these small differences really aren't noticeable in T.

JBModels

Post by JBModels »

Good point mattd10. I will however design the models to be able to be non-powered and powered compatible then.

Cheers!
JBModels.

JBModels

Post by JBModels »

Hey,

I've started work on a T gauge Class 90. I am please to say that the progress is good and it should be done by 4th July 2015.

Cheers!
JBModels.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

I am please to say that the progress is good and it should be done by 4th July 2015.
Nice to hear your design is in its advanced stage....a few questions:

How will the finished loco be available?
What exactly will it be? A shell for a motorised chassis? If so, which one? A shell for a non-motorised chassis? Again, details please.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

JBModels

Post by JBModels »

dkightley wrote:
I am please to say that the progress is good and it should be done by 4th July 2015.
Nice to hear your design is in its advanced stage....a few questions:

How will the finished loco be available?
What exactly will it be? A shell for a motorised chassis? If so, which one? A shell for a non-motorised chassis? Again, details please.
Hi dkightley,

1) I have a few plans for the finished loco.
- It can be bought from Shapeways (if I'm allowed to open a Shapeways shop).
- It can be sold as a kit that contains everything (shell, chassis/underframe, bogie frames, etched pantograph etc.)
- I can actually paint and assemble it fully and send it.

2) It will be a non-powered model, this means that the overall dimensions, wheelbase and bogies etc will all be accurate. It wont just be a shell. The model contains the following:-
- Body shell
- chassis + Underframe
- Bogie frames

Cheers!
JBModels.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

I think we all look forward to seeing some photos of your first loco. Do post some to show the development as it progresses.
Doug Kightley

JBModels

Post by JBModels »

dkightley wrote:I think we all look forward to seeing some photos of your first loco. Do post some to show the development as it progresses.
Sure will, I will be starting two threads in due course. The first thread will be only for the various projects and their progress. The second one would be only for finished models etc.

Cheers!
JBModels.

JBModels

Post by JBModels »

Hey,

I will be posting CAD images of my T gauge Class 90 tomorrow.....

Cheers!
JBModels.

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

Quick update: I've completed my class 313 and have uploaded it to shapeways. This has (as usual) thrown up a bunch of errors and areas where the wall thicknesses are less than ideal. Unfortunately where it's a fairly compact unit in real life it's hard to squeeze in the extra space without risking it not fitting on a chassis. I'm going to do what I can and then get one printed and see how it goes!

JBModels

Post by JBModels »

mattd10 wrote:Quick update: I've completed my class 313 and have uploaded it to shapeways. This has (as usual) thrown up a bunch of errors and areas where the wall thicknesses are less than ideal. Unfortunately where it's a fairly compact unit in real life it's hard to squeeze in the extra space without risking it not fitting on a chassis. I'm going to do what I can and then get one printed and see how it goes!
Looking forward to seeing it soon...!