Prep'n switches for servo control

The three Ts. Lift the lid on the secrets of how you do things so others can have a go.....
mattinair

Prep'n switches for servo control

Post by mattinair »

I'm a bit shy about posting tips but the only instructions I found online for prepping switches for servo control involved taking the switch apart
I don't take the switch apart.
First I cut slots on both sides of the control tab...
train8.jpg
train8.jpg (162.18 KiB) Viewed 101 times
Next with my #11 I remove the plastic above the control tab. I also use my #11 at this time to spin a hole in the tab.
train9.jpg
train9.jpg (250.09 KiB) Viewed 101 times
Finally remove the plastic from below the control tab.
train10.jpg
train10.jpg (189.92 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
I've been running my trains ALOT and so far the switches are working very well.

Reith01

Re: Prep'n switches for servo control

Post by Reith01 »

This is an issue with which I'll inevitably get involved as I go along. I ordered two points with my first order to have a look at them.
I'm rather daunted by some of the marvellous work in progress on points on another topic here...that might be fine in HO but not so easy in this scale.

One problem is whether one can solder the track. I doubt it. Magnetic wheels mean it must be steel.

But I'm at a very early stage. Could be that as I find my way through this section other members have found solutions.

dkightley

Re: Prep'n switches for servo control

Post by dkightley »

I employed a less destructive method when I cable-operated the points on Robins Run.

Here's a photo of a cabled-up point:
Img_0257_red.jpg
Img_0257_red.jpg (71.2 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
I designed and 3D printed two parts...a mounting plate that was attached to the point with four 8BA screws and had a slot on the underside located directly underneath where the point slider sat, and a replacement for the existing slider that ran in the slot. The cable inner was crimped by a screw through the side of the slider block....and the cable out glued to a web on the plate.

I epoxied pieces of clear plastic sheetto the sides of the point track base to shield the workings when I ballasted the track. A close-up of the finished article can be seen in the first post here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=148

I still have the files if anyone wants to order any parts from Shapeways.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk