Wagons - wip

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.
Post Reply
martink
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:13 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Wagons - wip

Post by martink »

NeilM wrote:... I see that you are using the standard couplings. I had taken a different tack ... I am thinking of just using wire hook couplings ...
Drifting a bit of-topic, but some time ago I tried out the pin-and-hole couplers from tgauge.com. They turned out to less effective than the standard type - wagons kept uncoupling when setting up trains and during/after derailments. I suspect that you might have the same issues with wire hooks. My eventual solution was to use the third type - those special fixed couplers - to permanently couple together strings of 4 or 5 wagons, and use the standard type between strings and to the locos.

User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 1243
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:43 pm
Location: Nottingham, UK

Re: Wagons - wip

Post by dkightley »

I'll second that finding, Martin.

I've had exactly the same issues with those hook and eye couplers.... they're pesky things to work with! And my only attempt of using the fixed couplers was on the full HST set...but the coupled length was a tad too small - the carriages clashed on bends, with a resulting derailment! I'm not sure if turning a carriage round may have sorted things out or not, though.

When I get around to seeing how my wagons run, I'll start with normal couplings....and then if all is okay, move onto the fixed couplers.

Nobody's commented on the square indentation in the top of the "undercarriage" component in the picture showing the separate parts. I've put that in so its possible to push in a small cube magnet (3mm size, I think) to add some "magnetic weight" if needed. And I'll be able to vary the load material to give more or less weight!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 1243
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:43 pm
Location: Nottingham, UK

Re: Wagons - wip

Post by dkightley »

My WIP wagons have got a bit further. Here's a vid:



Its my Babt Deltic hauling twenty 12 ton mineral wagons.

Each wagon is printed in two parts....a grey body and a black chassis, which holds two of the pinpoint axles from TGauge.com, and takes standard couplers. I've used the fixed couplers...which gives me a slightly unweildly "snake" to rail!!

Here's a piccie of the parts:
P1010416_red.JPG
P1010416_red.JPG (49.95 KiB) Viewed 4210 times
I'l add a close up of a single wagon....
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

User avatar
dkightley
Posts: 1243
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:43 pm
Location: Nottingham, UK

Re: Wagons - wip

Post by dkightley »

Just reading through this thread....and realised I had promised to post an image of a single wagon....and didn't!

To make amends:
P1010427_red.JPG
P1010427_red.JPG (98.73 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
I'll have to re-address this development of this wagon and get some running tests done to see how they perform. The above wagon is as printed in grey and black, and printed in PLA using a 0.4mm nozzle and printing 0.1mm layers. I need to install a 0.2mm nozzle and try printing at 0.05mm layer thickness to see if I can improve on the finish!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

Post Reply