Wagons - wip

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.
dkightley

Wagons - wip

Post by dkightley »

I'd posted on the original forum some work-in-progress shots of wagons I've been developing using my Makerbot 3D printer. The project has been put on the back burner...but here's a shot of the last incarnation of a 12Ton mineral wagon using the new wheelsets from TGauge.com:
P1010178_red.JPG
P1010178_red.JPG (26.68 KiB) Viewed 10754 times
In case anyone might be wondering, its hooked up to a Baby Deltic....another one of my projects.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

jesse6669

Re: Wagons - wip

Post by jesse6669 »

Looks fantastic Doug! Nice little model that I'd guess would make a good master for a casting.

I've been tied to the various service bureaus (Shapeways, etc) but this is starting to make me hanker for my own 3D printer.

ivanf

Post by ivanf »

Looking good Doug.

Are you making your own couplings?

How are you keeping the wheels in? I've gone for a groove which seems to work ok but I need another bit to hold the wheels in. I didn't want to do a hole that they'd click into as they are made of FUD.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

I'm using the standard couplings, as my printer will not print fine enough...and fud is far too brittle for the job.

And keeping the wheels in place is a fine art. I believe I have a novel and unique way of making wagons....and I'm keeping it to myself for the time being.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

ivanf

Post by ivanf »

dkightley wrote:and I'm keeping it to myself for the time being.
awww.... go on... I won't tell anyone... :)

personally I've gone for clunky and slightly inconvenient... :)

NeilM

Post by NeilM »

I have been thinking about the best way to hold in the wheels as well. I am wondering if my skill level would allow me to create a scratch built chassis from plasticard that could accept the new wheels. I think the only way to move forward on this is to order some wheels sets and try it.

Hopefully your method will work out and you will be able to make the wagons avaialble.

The other thing that should also be possible was if somebody produced a simple fold up etched brass chassis for the new wheels - a flat plate chassis with 4 fold down axle boxes. I know there was a picture of one on the old forum from one of the members (Alan?) which even included brake gear. This does not seem like it would be difficult to do - but only for somebody who knows about such things, because it is well beyond my area of expertise.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

It was Alan Ramsey who posted a shot of a folded etched brass wagon. I think it was that that inspired him to get his wheel sets produced.
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Spurred on by Ozrail's announcement that he now has his wagons available to fit the axles from TGauge.com, I thought I'd briefly revisit my own wagon developments.

I hunted down the 3D files and did a bit of modding around the pivot holes...and I finally ended up with this:
P1010408_red.JPG
P1010408_red.JPG (57.45 KiB) Viewed 9930 times
Of these two wagons, the one on the left is the better print. The one on the right shows signs of what happens when you try and print two things at once. Printing at this scale is somewhat of an art form!! But the good news is that these two wagons run nice and freely...tipping the track end to end, and they run back and forth on their own very easily!!

And the secret behind it? I print the undercarriage (best way of describing it!) in flat form...and then bend the sides and ends down. Here's a shot of a printed "undercarriage" alongside a partially folded "undercarriage"...and the wagon body, which sits on the top keeping the sides folded at 90 degrees:
P1010410_red.JPG
P1010410_red.JPG (34.38 KiB) Viewed 9930 times

Assemble the two parts together with a few dobs of super glue - and the wagon seems to hold firm! I then think some ballast glued in might give just the right amount of weight. I need to try a few out running behind an engine to see how they behave....something I can't do at the moment as Robins Run is hanging on its side on a wall, and I've not got anywhere free to set it up, clean the track, etc...
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Here's the final version....kitted out with couplings:
P1010412_red.JPG
P1010412_red.JPG (69.56 KiB) Viewed 9910 times
When I get bored of designing 3D files for scottish buildings, I'll print off several more and try them out behind a loco.
Doug Kightley

NeilM

Post by NeilM »

Looking good. It will be interesting to find out how these will run in a train, just wondering if they will need more weight to stay on the track.

I see that you are using the standard couplings. I had taken a different tack with the wagons I am developing (but, as usual, still in my head at the moment rather than having anything actually printed, other than a test chassis). Because the couplings do not actually auto-couple anyway, I am thinking of just using wire hook couplings, which would need one wagon lifting up to couple to the next. This would save the cost of buying the couplings, and would simplify getting the coupled distance close to scale to keep things in proportion. Not sure if this will work, but plan to get the design done before I send another order off to Shapeways.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450

martink

Post by martink »

NeilM wrote:... I see that you are using the standard couplings. I had taken a different tack ... I am thinking of just using wire hook couplings ...
Drifting a bit of-topic, but some time ago I tried out the pin-and-hole couplers from tgauge.com. They turned out to less effective than the standard type - wagons kept uncoupling when setting up trains and during/after derailments. I suspect that you might have the same issues with wire hooks. My eventual solution was to use the third type - those special fixed couplers - to permanently couple together strings of 4 or 5 wagons, and use the standard type between strings and to the locos.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

I'll second that finding, Martin.

I've had exactly the same issues with those hook and eye couplers.... they're pesky things to work with! And my only attempt of using the fixed couplers was on the full HST set...but the coupled length was a tad too small - the carriages clashed on bends, with a resulting derailment! I'm not sure if turning a carriage round may have sorted things out or not, though.

When I get around to seeing how my wagons run, I'll start with normal couplings....and then if all is okay, move onto the fixed couplers.

Nobody's commented on the square indentation in the top of the "undercarriage" component in the picture showing the separate parts. I've put that in so its possible to push in a small cube magnet (3mm size, I think) to add some "magnetic weight" if needed. And I'll be able to vary the load material to give more or less weight!
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

My WIP wagons have got a bit further. Here's a vid:

Its my Babt Deltic hauling twenty 12 ton mineral wagons.

Each wagon is printed in two parts....a grey body and a black chassis, which holds two of the pinpoint axles from TGauge.com, and takes standard couplers. I've used the fixed couplers...which gives me a slightly unweildly "snake" to rail!!

Here's a piccie of the parts:
P1010416_red.JPG
P1010416_red.JPG (49.95 KiB) Viewed 4957 times
I'l add a close up of a single wagon....
Doug Kightley

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Just reading through this thread....and realised I had promised to post an image of a single wagon....and didn't!

To make amends:
P1010427_red.JPG
P1010427_red.JPG (98.73 KiB) Viewed 4754 times
I'll have to re-address this development of this wagon and get some running tests done to see how they perform. The above wagon is as printed in grey and black, and printed in PLA using a 0.4mm nozzle and printing 0.1mm layers. I need to install a 0.2mm nozzle and try printing at 0.05mm layer thickness to see if I can improve on the finish!
Doug Kightley