Crescent Limited 4-6-2

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.
JoeMalinchak

Crescent Limited 4-6-2

Post by JoeMalinchak »

I started on a new Crescent Limited 4-6-2 steam locomotive. I am making some small improvements to my design.The first one is that I added some weight to the tender. My Pennsylvania 4-6-2 is running well with out any weight as long as I have a car attached. I am think a little weight will help it when running alone!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JoeMalinchak

Re: Crescent Limited 4-6-2

Post by JoeMalinchak »

I painted the Garolite tender frame black, and then added the pickup wires. The springs were then added, and I soldered the top of the springs to the wire to assure good contact.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JoeMalinchak

Post by JoeMalinchak »

This is my printed foam parts sheet that will make up the locomotive body and tender. I just have to cut them all by out by hand with a #11 knife blade!

Ozrail

Post by Ozrail »

Nice progress, I bought one of these in N-scale in Oct 2015.
Hopefully yours doesn't explode after 10 mins of running, but then again, mind had a faulty DCC chip in the tender.

Ozrail
Check out my Shapeways store for T-gauge stuff.
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/everythingtgauge?s=0

rail450

Post by rail450 »

Hi Joe,
how large is the weight of your new tender?
BR,
Siegfried

JoeMalinchak

Post by JoeMalinchak »

Hi Siegfried,

The weight is 7.25mm long. I just cut one of the weights that comes with the 16-27 M adjustable chassis.

rail450

Post by rail450 »

Hi Joe,
how many "kg" does your new tender weigh?
BR,
Siegfried

JoeMalinchak

Post by JoeMalinchak »

I am away from home on a work trip. I will weigh it when I get home on Thursday.

Joe.

JoeMalinchak

Post by JoeMalinchak »

Hi Siegfried,

Sorry for the delay in posting this, the tender weighs 1.12 grams. I really haven't tested it yet, but it should be better than my original version.

JoeMalinchak

Post by JoeMalinchak »

I have finally returned to work on this project after taking a long break! I just completed my training with American Airlines on the E-190, and I am now back to a semi normal work schedule. Actually, I will be on reserve for the next month or two, so I will have even more time to do some modeling if they don't call me to fly!

This is my second prototype of the model, and I really enjoy experimenting with improvements to make my design better. On this model I used a more powerful 4mm motor out of a micro R/C drone. I also used M0.2 mod gears from shop.kkpmo.com instead of the M0.15 gears I used on my Pennsylvania 4-6-2. The M0.2 gears have larger teeth, giving a little more bite on the gear mesh. However, this lowered the gear ratio a bit. I used 12 teeth M0.2 gears to drive each steam wheel, and 13 teeth for all other gears. This gave me the same spacing as the M0.15 gears, so I can use the connecting rods from TGauge.com.

The model is running beautifully, and has lots more power than my PA 4-6-2!

JoeMalinchak

Post by JoeMalinchak »

I glue my wheels onto the axles using Gorilla glue. After gluing them on I place the model in this vise to keep them aligned while the glue dries. The glue sets up in 30-60 minutes. However, I was having a little problem with a few wheels sticking to the frame. I solved this issue by just running the motor for a few seconds every 10 minutes or so until the glue dries.

wbnemo1

Post by wbnemo1 »

This is a very unique project, love seeing pieces being made like this!,😆

MMBUFBerlin

Post by MMBUFBerlin »

Hello Joe,
I let my gears with 0.6mm bore finished, so the wheels can be firmly pressed in without glue.
Kind regards
Uwe