4012 Big Boy

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.
JoeMalinchak

4012 Big Boy

Post by JoeMalinchak »

I started working on my Big Boy. I am very fortunate to have a real Big Boy # 4012 at the Steam Town museum that is around a 40 minute drive from my home. I went and took lots of photos for reference, and I know that I will be taking many more. It will be a very challenging, but fun model to design. I made a four wheel chassis to test, and see how it runs. I only used one bogie for power pick up, so it is running sporadically right now. I am going to test it with the tender I am making for my new 4-6-2 locomotive. I am hoping it will run on the 120mm radius track.

Joe.
Attachments
IMG_8266.JPG
IMG_8266.JPG (123.12 KiB) Viewed 6623 times
IMG_8489.JPG
IMG_8489.JPG (167.95 KiB) Viewed 6624 times

Switcher102

Re: 4012 Big Boy

Post by Switcher102 »

Good luck with this Joe. It would be great to see a T gauge Big Boy. There is someone on the T gauge Facebook page who has done the outside wheel motion for a Big Boy. Don't know what has happened about that, it's sometime since I looked at it, and this forum actually.

Rich

Switcher102

Post by Switcher102 »

MMBUFBerlin

Post by MMBUFBerlin »

Hello Joe,
how is the state of work with your Big Boy? 8 steam wheels cope with the 120mm radius, so much I can tell you.
Kind regards
Uwe

MMBUFBerlin

Post by MMBUFBerlin »

Addendum to the power pick up: why do you not lead the current over the steam wheels? They are magnetic, so that steel wires must only to be slightly spring-mounted. They do not even have to have mechanical pressure as they are attracted to the wheels by the magnetic force. Applying power through non-driven wheels only causes additional friction or unreasonable distance between the locomotive and the tender.

Kind regards
Uwe

rail450

Post by rail450 »

Hi Joe,

to get current you are contacting the tracks via your bogie over a lenght of approx. 5mm.

You Big Boy will not pass over a point.

Getting current via bogie and via tender will be great and will work perfect!

BR,

Siegfried

MMBUFBerlin

Post by MMBUFBerlin »

[MODERATOR EDIT]Comment removed [?MODERATOR EDIT]

Pictures:
MALLARD Current Pick Up
MALLARD Current Pick Up
MALLARD_CurrentPickUp.jpg (130.15 KiB) Viewed 5049 times
Current Pick Up
Current Pick Up
CurrentPickUp.jpg (77.31 KiB) Viewed 5049 times

rail450

Post by rail450 »

Hi Joe,

regarding pass over electrical points, pls notice these facts:

> the distance of isolated tracks in the middle of the electrial ponit is about 18mm

> the overall distance between Big Boy´s 4 axles is about 3 X 5,26mm = 15,78mm

If your 4 driving wheels are contacted only, your Big Boy will not pass over electrilcal ponits.

BR,

Siegfried

MMBUFBerlin

Post by MMBUFBerlin »

{MODEERATOR EDIT]Comment removed [/MODERATOR EDIT]

in Joe's Steamtown there are no isolated tracks!

[MODERATOR EDIT]COmment removed[/MODERATOR EDIT]

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Gentlemen

I've removed couple of unfriendly comments in this thread...and I intend not taking any further action.

This is a family-friendly forum where everyone is expected to be polite and friendly to everybody else. Please don't persuade me to place anyone on moderated posting.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

MMBUFBerlin

Post by MMBUFBerlin »

Hello Joe,

of course it is up to you whose advice you obey. That of a model dreamer, who has not yet built a single locomotive, or that of a modeler who has got 7 steam locomotives on T Gauge tracks to drive.
If you have any plans to continue building the Big Boy.

I say goodbye to this forum, where the freedom of the word does not endure!

Kind regards
Uwe

MIHS85

Post by MIHS85 »

Hi Uwe,

If you are still reading this: I saw your post and also found your tone a bit too harsh for my liking.

Having said so, I think it would be a pity if you would abandon this forum. Those who are familiar with your work know what you have achieved in the area of T gauge. I think that the few of us that seem to follow this forum could benefit greatly from your expertise if you were willing to share it. And a lively constructive debate might even attract more people.

The one concrete wish I would have is that you or some of the other mechanics experts here would come up with a steam loco plan and instructions which would be accessible to average modellers like me.

Best wishes,

Chris

MMBUFBerlin

Post by MMBUFBerlin »

Hello Chris,

if someone writes nonsense, must be allowed to call this as such! And I absolutely hate it when someone censors my words!
If this is a children's forum, in which all must be very lovely and kindly, the administrator should write it high on top! Then I had me not registered!

Kind regards
Uwe

P.S. That was really my last post here! If you still have questions to me, you can ask them in the T Gauge Forum Germany (also in English language).
The T Gauge music plays where I am! This will not change in the next few years!

JoeMalinchak

Post by JoeMalinchak »

Hi Guys,

Sorry I have been off of the forum for a while and missed reading these posts.

I appreciate all of the advice on this project. We all basically learn from each other’s work, and try to inspire others to do the same. Using the springs and picking power from the bogie’s has been working great on my Pennsylvania 4-6-2 pacific locomotive design, and I may still use it on my Big boy. Only the rear ½ of the locomotive is shown in the photo. I was planning on using a pick up from the front wheels as well as the rear wheels, and maybe even the tender! My current layout does not have any turnouts or isolated track, but I plan on building a larger one so I should make sure the locomotive can handle it.

It is all about testing what works and Siegfried and Uwe both have some good advice.

Uwe, I agree with Chris in that you should still write and post your work in this forum. We are all a small group of friends, and we need to help grow and promote TGauge!

Joe.

MMBUFBerlin

Post by MMBUFBerlin »

Hello Joe, a photo at the right time, and I would have understood right away that Siegfried with "points" means turnouts. But you also have strange terms for some things in English language!
The electrical problem zone of such points/turnouts can be relatively easily shortened to about 5mm, see attached photo.

Kind regards
Uwe
Turnouts contact improvement
Turnouts contact improvement
Weichenkontakterweiterung.jpg (127.9 KiB) Viewed 3547 times

MIHS85

Post by MIHS85 »

MMBUFBerlin wrote: The electrical problem zone of such points/turnouts can be relatively easily shortened to about 5mm, see attached photo.
Thanks for the hint! I'll definitely will give this a try.

Chris

JoeMalinchak

Post by JoeMalinchak »

Uwe,

That looks like it will work great. Thanks for the tip!