New Locomotives

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.
sjrashid

New Locomotives

Post by sjrashid »

Hey guys. Just sent these off to be printed. If all goes well, they will be on my site for anyone who wants one:

FP7 with power unit
E5 with power unit
20th Century Limited with coal dolly. (I also have a railcar set to go with this one, but I held off printing it for now.

Cheers :)
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/samstrains

new trains.jpg
new trains.jpg (597.76 KiB) Viewed 1129 times

SmallCentral

Re: New Locomotives

Post by SmallCentral »

More and more interresting 8-)

DanMacK

Post by DanMacK »

Interesting for sure! FP7 seems a bit redundant though ;) Love the E5 and J3. Any plans to do a standard J3 Hudson?

JoeMalinchak

Post by JoeMalinchak »

Hi sjrashid,

Welcome to the forum. You did a great job on your Zephyr, and I am looking forward to seeing all of your new designs!

I am interested in your 20th Century Limited and any new steam designs! I think that T Gauge will really grow in the US if we have some new American rolling stock and locomotives available.

Joe.

sjrashid

Post by sjrashid »

Dan, I agree about the FP7. It looked like others have already made a version, but I made it per a request from someone interested in a zephyr vista dome set I made. It insured that the train width matched the passenger cars I made.

I wasn't planning on making a standard J3 Hudson. Is there a significant amount of difference? Isn't a 20th century Limited a J3a?

I have started a Dreyfuss Mercury streamliner as well as a gg1. Have also wanted to do more steam locomotives, but they are difficult due to the width you need for the train motor. I typically print in batches to reduce the cost for making test trains, so it will probably be a few weeks before I'm ready to print again.

I made a Lionel Berkshire, however making a 2-8-4 locomotive presents a lot of challenges and therefore I decided the train was not a great fit for t gauge at the moment.

Another thing I'm planning to do is make a 3 axle bogie. I don't think i can make a motorized one, but I have a bunch of rail cars I made that need a 3 axle bogie. I made a wwII era artillery cannon that pivots as well as a whole set of steel industry rail cars.

JoeMalinchak

Post by JoeMalinchak »

Ok, a GG1 in TGauge would be really cool!

sjrashid

Post by sjrashid »

Just an update.

I'm posting the 20th century Limited today. Very happy with how it came out.

The FP7 was a little short for the smallest motorized chassis. I will tweek the lenght slightly and reprint to make sure it works.

The E5 looks great but I need to come up with a 3 axle bogie. Making non motorized bogies is not a problem, but motorized bogies have a metal strip that completes the circuit from the rail to the motor. I'm thinking I may need to make a side frame that can be super glued onto a motorized bogie. It's more complicated than I wanted it to be, but that appears to be the best way to make it work.

Anyway, attached are images of the finished J3 Hudson. Enjoy.
J3b.jpg
J3b.jpg (402.55 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
j3a.jpg
j3a.jpg (348.09 KiB) Viewed 1126 times

JoeMalinchak

Post by JoeMalinchak »

Beautiful job on your new J3 Hudson. Keep up coming! I need to build one as it would look great on my micro Steamtown layout.

Joe.

JoeMalinchak

Post by JoeMalinchak »

Hi sjrashid,

I ordered the J3 Hudson, and one of your crane cars on Shapeways. Unfortunately, they sent me a message that the crane car would not be printed?

Do you have any video of your Hudson running. Can't wait for mine!

Joe.