T Scale EMD F7 in Norfolk and Western livery

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.
grahame

T Scale EMD F7 in Norfolk and Western livery

Post by grahame »

Thanks to Shapeways and CCE Trains for the body shell. It was inspired by the Micro Trains version in Z scale:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Micro-Tr ... 001342.htm

I decided to go for this livery for two reasons. 1. I really like the F7 in black and 2. I think this lends itself to the whole section detailing method. I had been using this before I read the excellent post by jesse6669, my method is a modification of this..I guess great minds think alike :D

I just now need the motorised chassis from the good folks in Edinburgh to complete the model. I presume the front coupling has to be removed..since there is no gap in the front fairing for it to go through. I wasn't about to try and make a hole. As always close up photos are pretty unforgiving..it looks better in real life :)
British exPat in Houston, Texas.

ncdtrains

Re: T Scale EMD F7 in Norfolk and Western livery

Post by ncdtrains »

looks great!!

rvn2001

Post by rvn2001 »

Grahame,

Your loco shell looks GREAT!
I used a small file to open a slot for the front coupler on my E8 shell.

Thom
Thom Welsch

grahame

Post by grahame »

Thanks everyone, I am quite pleased with it although I do say so myself. I think the matt black spray came out nicely. The key is not too much paint and stand about 9-12 inches back from the model. I gave it a total of 3 light applications from each side, angle on to get the front and back as well.

This was my reference photo from which I captured the front logo and used it for comparison to the Micro Trains Z scale version:

I just realised that the number boards are in place on the front of the locomotive. I might try to put these on too...

Now I need to order one of these from the good people (Alan Ramsay and co.) at TGauge.com in Edinburgh, Scotland:

http://www.tgauge.com/product/187/2/16- ... ed-chassis

grahame

Post by grahame »

Minor addition..the ladders on the side of the locomotive have now been added. The flash makes the paint surface look a bit grainy. This is nowhere near as bad in real life. I think we are ready for a motor and some wheels now.

grahame

Post by grahame »

DISASTER STRIKES

https://www.shapeways.com/product/9A5FK ... Id=1989984

The body shell of the F7 is too short and too narrow for the 16M chassis (smallest available).

When I say too short, I mean this is after trimming some small parts off the chassis, quite normal for these bodies. I did this with my previous Class 42 warship body. Despite all the possible trimming these was no way the F7 body shell would fit the length of the smallest chassis. Probably worse is the fact that the body shell is too narrow. While trying to insert the motorized chassis, the top part with the bus rails and the gold bogie spring attachments gets jammed into the body shell. When trying to remove the chassis by pulling the lower part the entire chassis is torn apart due to the top half being jammed. This destroys the gold bogie spring and pulls the entire thing apart.

Needless to say I am not very happy about this.

grahame

Post by grahame »

I am pretty sure the motorised chassis can be rescued but will need 4 replacements springs. What is a good place for them over here in the USA?

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Trainsaidsa.cm is the only US distributer I know of.........but TGauge.com may be the better bet. I think they've just got a new stock of springs in recently....Nutter has just received some from them, and I do believe he had to wait for them.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

Nutter

Post by Nutter »

dkightley wrote:Trainsaidsa.cm is the only US distributer I know of.........but TGauge.com may be the better bet. I think they've just got a new stock of springs in recently....Nutter has just received some from them, and I do believe he had to wait for them.
Can confirm springs now in stock with Alan, I ordered 2 packs yesterday and they arrived today.
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.

grahame

Post by grahame »

The FP7 has the following dimensions:

38.18 mm x 6.82 mm and 9.46 mm

The EMD F7 has the following dimensions:

33.9 mm x 6.94 mm x 9.04 mm

The FP7 fits the smallest motorised chassis, the 16M as shown by this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=116

So what chassis is the EMD F7 at 5 mm shorter designed to fit, because it does not fit the 16M chassis as I just found out the hard way.

NeilM

Post by NeilM »

You could try a pm to Jesse (link from the previous thread which you referenced above) who I believe was the creator of these shells. I have not seen him post on the site for quite some time, but there is a chance he is still monitoring it occasionally but has not noticed this thread.

I do not know of any chassis smaller than the 16m, so can not be any help there. I have a powered boxcar from Jesse and that is a tight fit in the width, but it does still allow the chassis to be inserted and, more importantly, withdrawn in one piece. Other than scraping the inside of the shell with a straight edge modelling knife I could not really suggest anything else - and without seeing the shell there may not be enough side wall thickness to allow that to be carried out anyway.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450

martink

Post by martink »

It could very well be an unpowered unit, needing the usual boxcar or passenger coach.

grahame

Post by grahame »

If I can repair/reassemble the motorised chassis.....

(should be possible if motor is still OK, I did a replacement previously and it is a pretty simple design..does require cutting the plastic welds however:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=121

..I will attempt to repeat this process with the FP7 body shell which is known to fit this chassis, working with Shapeways on getting this.

Alan at TGauge.co.uk once again has been VERY helpful and has a new set of springs on the way without me even asking. What a GREAT GUY he is. The springs are definitely totally shot on this one.

I have suggested that Shapeways make it very clear on their website which loco body shells will not fit any motorised chassis so others don't repeat this experience, or at least say something like...unless stated we cannot guarantee that this body shell will fit any available chassis.

grahame

Post by grahame »

martink wrote:It could very well be an unpowered unit, needing the usual boxcar or passenger coach.
Is there a coach chassis smaller than 16M..I could not see one on TGauge.com???

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

Hi Grahame,

It's down to the individual model creators to point out which chassis fits or not and there are quite a few which are just scaled down from larger scales so won't necessarily fit any.

If it's unpowered then the adjustable chassis is your best bet. This can be cut down considerably to fit. This can then be powered via a box car as suggested above.

Don't be disheartened though! Best of luck!

grahame

Post by grahame »

"Don't be disheartened though! Best of luck!"

Thanks, oh don't worry I am not. My T scale British Class 42 Warship with 4 cream and crimson coaches is running beautifully as I type. That was a big success. I carefully cut the pastic welds on the 16M chassis and took it all apart. Evrything looks OK and the motor is still runnig well. Once I get the new springs from Alan (what a great chap he is) I will reassemble and put it into an FP7 bodyshell done in the exact same livery. I am not an expert enough to know if Norfolk and Western did also have the FP7 as well as the F7 but I think I can live with that.

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

Alan and the team at Tgauge.com are absolutely superb. Without them the scale would not be where it is now.

Look forward to seeing the progress!

grahame

Post by grahame »

Rebuilt 16M chassis runs just fine by jumping the bus bars straight on to the tracks. So all I need is the springs and I am back in the game.

Shapeways gave me a store credit (nice of them) so now I will order the FP7 and go again with the same design:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/SP8UX ... Id=6779029

This one is known to fit the 16M chassis (35.5) so hopefully it will. I will check the fit before I do the painting and detailing this time.