Custom box car

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.
ncdtrains

Custom box car

Post by ncdtrains »

So I made many of these back in 2012 when I first got into T. It's a quick and dirty way to get some rolling stock if you have some resin casting skills.

Nonetheless this is one example of a box car I prepped and cast in resin. It was from a Hallmark Miniature train ornament series.

It was about 2 hours of prep work, which consisted of removing the bogies and bottom plate, as well as the ornament hook eyelet and filling some holes with putty.

Upon doing so, I cast the master in silicone and can have limitless box cars. Granted it's a slight bit over scaled, back then, there was really no NA rolling stock available and it worked good enough for me.

I also did a flat car, tank car, and a milk car from the series.

Paint markers make quick work of the details. This isn't mounted with trucks but I simply used the adjustable chassis trucks and drilled a pilot hole and screwed them in. I'll get out my rolling stock in the am and snap a shot of the ones I did make. Also did a couple scratch builds that were ok.

Again, the struggle was real back in early 2012....man had to do what a man had to do to get his NA rolling stock! ;)

All that work, and only had the garden train loco which was the closest I could get to an american diesel at the time. So glad to have my GP loco from Trainaidsa to make it "official" now.

Now just to figure out which body of jesses will work on my garden loco to get a ghost loco going to run a nice rake.

ConnorL

Re: Custom box car

Post by ConnorL »

That is awesome work! I really dig your boxcars!