Santa Fe 2-10-2 Steam Locomotive

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.
ConnorL

Santa Fe 2-10-2 Steam Locomotive

Post by ConnorL »

Hello,

I'm surprised that I did not create a new thread on my creation of Santa Fe 2-10-2 steam locomotive. I guess I forgot to since we changed over to the new forum several years ago.

I originally started on this project back in 2012 and I stopped working on it because it was found to be too complicated and I don't have enough experience in it.

Well, I'm somewhat back into it. I found someone who could make the wheels for me really cheap and it works great!

I will have to redesign the gearbox as the gears are not properly positioned and it requires a lot of torque to turn the wheels. I will have to make the gear ratio larger and try to minimize the torque needed to turn the wheels.

These are some of the pictures I had been working on. I have more pictures, but I rather give you all the most recent progress.

henningz
Location: Barsinghausen (It's near Hanover), Lower Saxony, Germany

Re: Santa Fe 2-10-2 Steam Locomotive

Post by henningz »

Such a fine work, it's looking neat and cute. Would like to see it in a landscape :)
But how do the 5 wheelsets in a row behave in narrow curves?
printed on 100 percent recycled electrons

ConnorL

Post by ConnorL »

I'm really not sure! I left my layout at home, so I only have three straight tracks. If it can't make narrow curves, I'll trim the middle three set of wheels to remove the flange.

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

I too have been thinking about steam locomotives......A friend of a friend gave me a badly damaged Z scale locomotive with "small" drive wheels...I've just done a crude mock up to see what these Z scale wheels would look like as "Big" drive wheels on a T scale locomotive...
DSCN0692_01.JPG
DSCN0692_01.JPG (246.97 KiB) Viewed 7205 times
I kind of like the way it looks. Unfortunately I've only got 5 of these wheels. Going to work on getting some more (without losing an arm or a leg).....

JBModels

Post by JBModels »

ConnorL wrote:Hello,

I found someone who could make the wheels for me really cheap and it works great!

These are some of the pictures I had been working on. I have more pictures, but I rather give you all the most recent progress.

Hi ConnorL,
This looks wonderful. I am truly impressed by your work. I've been itching to model a few steam locos as soon as I start. I got a 4-6-2 loco on my list namely the WP, which is an American built loco used for the Indian Railways. Just out of curiosity, that "someone" who does the wheels, would he be open to actually making some for the T-gauge community? I think some generic boxpoke and bespoke wheels would be nice :)

Cheers!
JBModels.
LOL! Some people need a to think logically, or rather just have common sense!