Page 1 of 1

My range of power units......

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:49 am
by dkightley
Having a sort out of my stock box, I thought I'd do a line-up of the units I've created...…
IMG_3862_red.JPG
IMG_3862_red.JPG (136.32 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
Top left to bottom right:

Class 23 "baby deltic", designed for the 16mm power unit. My first body shell....hand painted in BR green.

Class 158 DMU, made for The Bridge. Fits the 23m unit. Here shown in Scotrail livery; graphics created as multi-layer image to allow easy livery change and printed onto inkjet clear decal paper. This shell used at 23 shows and has travelled well over 60 miles...and not looking that tatty after all the handling its had! This unit now DCC chipped!!

Class 170 DMU. Made at the same time as the Class 158 shell & also fits the 23m unit. All comments above apply as well.....

Class 180 DMU shell. Example here is in First Great Western "Barbie" livery, as above, finished with a clear inkjet decal.

Class 68 loco, which I think has a 19m chassis under it. This was a particularly difficult shape to transfer; five separate decals if I remember right. Scotrail livery again.

Class 43 reskin. This is the unique Scotrail Seven Cities livery which I printed onto white inkjet decal paper from a different source to previous paper I've used...which was a lot easier to apply. This unit is my latest DCC chipping subject....which means I can chip all sizes in the range!!

And finally, hot off the printer, a first-cut Class 800/03 power unit from a nine-cars set I'm needing for my new layout. This will be finished as most of the above using inkjet transfers and will be in GWR's superb dark green livery. The one unique thing about this set is the unusually long overhang between the bogies and the end of the carriage, which will need extended couplings designing!!

Re: My range of power units......

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:18 pm
by dkightley
And I've progressed the GWR class 800 loco shell......here's the final paper draft of the decal fitted ( well, glued with Pritt) to the loco shell:
IMG_3863_red.JPG
IMG_3863_red.JPG (48.26 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
The colours look somewhat dim and dark when printed onto normal white printer paper.....but will brighten up when printed on proper decal paper. The roof area at the rear of the car is where the catenary is stowed.....this area will be hand painted once the decal has been applied.

Re: My range of power units......

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:54 pm
by mattd10
A seriously impressive line up! Really great stuff

Re: My range of power units......

Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:14 pm
by dkightley
Spotted in a marshalling yard siding at my local engine works:
IMG_4035_red.JPG
IMG_4035_red.JPG (66.84 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
I'll try and get closer and get some better shots.....

Re: My range of power units......

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:10 pm
by gbtrains
looking great for your tranfers. :D

regards
Graham

Re: My range of power units......

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:18 pm
by Kupzinger
Very nice work indeed! The flexible nature of decals is very useful. Good to see, might use the same approach for some Austrian stock if I ever find time for that :)

Cheer from Vienna
Kupzinger

Re: My range of power units......

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:43 am
by NCSophie
Wow, very impressive. Just thinking about working with decals that small though makes my head hurt!

Re: My range of power units......

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:53 am
by dkightley
Decals, transfer..... whatever you choose to call them...are not that frightening to work with.

I have to admit that wraparound decals are a touch trickier to apply than simple flat ones.....but what I did at first was to produce three or four the same and do some practise applications onto a spare body shell. I did make a mess at first......but once you get used to handling them, they're actually not that bad. And my secret weapon.....a bottle of MicroSet setting solution, which I apply a few drops around the decal...and it helps positioning by making the decal a little slidier!