New to T

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.
malrob01

New to T

Post by malrob01 »

Firstly as a new person to the I would like to say a hello to everyone. I currently model in N Gauge and chose that because it was the smallest I had seen at the time. Now I seem to have found T and already decided the size would give me flexibility of where to model and some imaginative scenarios. My problem is I am struggling to find a starter set despite a number of weeks searching, however I did find this forum so some positives came out of that work. I have seen the two that seem to be on one site, the ICE and the HST set but wondered if there were any others people had seen on the internet. I accept I may not get the chance to visit a local shop as I live in the north of England and not yet seen a retailer in the UK other than one in Edinburgh. If anyone could advise or better still give an links to a starter set.
Thanks
Malcolm

dkightley

Re: New to T

Post by dkightley »

Hi Malcolm

Welcome to the whacky world of T!

At present, there's only one manufacturer of T gauge railways worldwide...and the sole UK importer is TGauge.com ...who will be the Edinburgh based supplier you mentioned.

And regarding starter sets, the's currently only three variants .....the original starter set that has a Japanese multiple unit, and the two you've already mentioned, the ICE and HST trained sets. All are available from TGauge.com.

The gauge is still in its infancy and there are few manufacturers willing to invest in producing things at 1:450...and there's a lively cottage industry market starting to get established....mainly based around scenery items and rolling stock upgrades (ie loco shells, etc).
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

Welcome! I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with T gauge!

As Doug mentioned tgauge.com is the only UK importer. There are a few other sites worldwide, but I've found those guys to provide everything I've needed!

You have a few options really, go for the full on starter set or you could always just opt for one power chassis or the garden loco and a loop of track just to test the water! There are plenty of custom bodies on the t gauge website and shapeways (class 66/67/153/156/warship etc) and I'd be happy to link you to them if you'd like! They do, however, require some painting etc so if you're looking for effortless good looks, you can't go a miss with the HST or ICE!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

malrob01

Post by malrob01 »

This is great information and is only wetting my appetite further. One further question (there is always one more), I wouldnt mind a bullet train set and since this is Japanese in origin do you know if there is a bullet version if not as a starter pack, as a loco set.
And once again thanks for such a prompt response

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

Surprisingly not! Although the original set (the 103 units) and it's successor (the Hankyu 9000) were both Japanese, Railway Shop (the manufacturer) has since focussed on the European prototypes (ICE and HST). This could be due to demand from stockists such as tgauge.com or other factors.

David (the creator of the original forum and early adopter of T) had a list on his old website of "future releases" http://www.t-gauge.net/announced.htm but this list hasn't been updated for, I reckon, about 5 years now. The ICE is now in existence and we've seen glimpses of the street tram but not a lot else I'm afraid.

I've not heard any news in a long time about future releases and even when it comes things can take a long while to materialise. That's why a lot of people opt to 3D model or kit-bash to get around this problem! If you can find yourself a bit of time and motivation, you could easily have a 3D printed bullet train in a few months ;) :lol: