Introductions

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.
Reith01

Re: Introductions

Post by Reith01 »

Hello all,
I’m certainly new to this gauge/scale and have just taken the plunge, bought a few bits and pieces to get a feel for the scale.

I have some model making experience but don’t know how well my eyesight will accommodate the diminutive sizes. Looks like most of it will be an optovisor job! However, the size does allow a decent scale length of run in a very small space.

I’ll have many queries in these early days (for me) but I do hope to contribute as I find my feet. I’m also interested in electronics and hope to do something there. Electrifying (and modifying) points is an early priority!

So, thank you for letting me in. Here goes……

Bests,
Reith.

technoandrew

Post by technoandrew »

Hi everyone :)

My name's Andrew, and I live in Derby, UK. I'm currently a graduate engineer, working for a rail consultancy.

I've just taken the plunge and bought myself a starter set (HST from TGauge.com), after thinking about it for a long while. Really pleased with the set so far, and can't wait to start expanding with more track, rolling stock and eventually a proper layout.

A few things I'm particularly interested in trying (stock wise) are a re-liveried HST in East Midlands Trains livery (hopefully I can get some sort of vinyls or stickers sorted), and also some 3D printed DMUs and EMUs. I have a fair amount of CAD experience too so will try my hand at designing some new things.

Look forward to settling in here!

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Hi Andrew

Welcome to TalkingTGauge.

At last....another East Midlander!! We'll have to meet up sometime seeing as we live so close to each other......particularly as you have an interest in CAD, etc.

Doug
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

technoandrew

Post by technoandrew »

dkightley wrote:Hi Andrew

Welcome to TalkingTGauge.

At last....another East Midlander!! We'll have to meet up sometime seeing as we live so close to each other......particularly as you have an interest in CAD, etc.
Doug
Thanks for the welcome Doug. Yeah I'm up for meeting up at some point. Will have to wait at least a month or so as I'm currently on a work placement down south. Do you work in the rail industry too by any chance?

CAD wise, I'm currently learning to use FreeCAD, as the other package I had on my computer for personal use (Creo) was a free student edition, and the licence ran out. I have access to professional software through work, but probably wouldn't be allowed to use it for personal use, particularly if I want to submit designs to Shapeways etc for selling.

HonestTom

Post by HonestTom »

Hullo all, my name's Tom and I live in London. I'm new to T, having been a lifelong 00 modeller. I first became curious about T when I saw it at an exhibition when it was still fairly new, and following a recent financial windfall I decided to give in to temptation.

I've started work on a small layout, an oval depicting a coastal line loosely based on the St Ives branch in Cornwall in the 1950s. What I love is the fact that I can build such a layout in a space smaller than an A3 piece of paper - I live in a small shared flat and have a sideline in vintage clothing, so space is at a premium for me.

Really glad to have found the forum, and just browsing the topics has already taught me a lot.

Reith01

Post by Reith01 »

HonestTom wrote:Hullo all, my name's Tom and I live in London. I'm new to T, having been a lifelong 00 modeller. I first became curious about T when I saw it at an exhibition when it was still fairly new, and following a recent financial windfall I decided to give in to temptation.

I've started work on a small layout, an oval depicting a coastal line loosely based on the St Ives branch in Cornwall in the 1950s. What I love is the fact that I can build such a layout in a space smaller than an A3 piece of paper - I live in a small shared flat and have a sideline in vintage clothing, so space is at a premium for me.

Really glad to have found the forum, and just browsing the topics has already taught me a lot.
Hello HonestTom,
Welcome, and great - t-gauge seems to be taking off. I live in Sussex and like you am strapped for space. T-gauge allowed me to have a small layout (just finished laying the track, now sorting out the teething troubles). I'd been contemplating it for a while, finally decided to give it a go. Thankfully I have an optovisor because at this scale any kitbashing and home production is going to be quite a challenge!

This forum was a good find indeed. All the best with it.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Hi Guys

Welcome to the forum Tom ....and a belated welcome also to Reith.

Like the both of you, my interest in T was inspired by wanting to build a railway layout but not having very much space for it.....and the result was Robins Run! (See the thread in the Layouts section of the forum.) And I quote this whenever I get asked how I got involved in T.

Things go out the window, though, when I then say I'm working on The Bridge!.....which at 8m long is far too big to assemble fully anywhere inside the house! But there again, the reason for building it is totally different....that reason being to make the T gauge sceptics think again about their perception that T is a gimmick!

And Tom, I may have to enquire further about your "sideline"....as I happen to be one of the co-organisers of the WW2 Home Front events at Crich! HonestTom the spiv, eh? :D :D :D :D
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

Reith01

Post by Reith01 »

Oh boy, that is one massive layout: 8 metres? That's the equivalent to about 48m in HO!

It would be nice if I had any room in the house that measured 8m. I follow the progress in the Layouts section but didn't realise it was that colossal. Robin's Run was a superb layout too. Makes me far too diffident to report my considerably more modest efforts! Great inspiration though.