Starter Recommendations?

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.
PolarExcess

Starter Recommendations?

Post by PolarExcess »

Hello all,

I live in the United States and am interested in T Gauge modeling. Any recommendations re: the following:

An entry level starter set?
Where to shop for best prices?
Is there a used market place for T Gauge? :?:

jesse6669

Re: Recommendations for a newbie

Post by jesse6669 »

Look over the various online retailers and blogs... then get a basic oval with one of the newer sets (avoid the 103 series) and test it out. Make sure to get the newer pulse controllers otherwise the speeds will be crazy-fast.

Blogs: http://www.t-gauge.net/links.htm
Retailers: http://www.t-gauge.net/retail.htm

My own opinion of suppliers as someone in the USA: TrainAidsa is a good supplier based in the USA and the owner Adarsh is very supportive of the scale. T-Gauge UK is also excellent and has their own in-house British prototype sets (the shipping from the UK isn't cost prohibitive, so they are worth checking out too.) Their owner Alan is also a huge booster. He's invested a great deal of time and money to develop new products (such as the wheelsets). Hobbies Plus in Australia is also a great fan of T but shipping from Australia can take a while.

Occasionally there are items on Ebay. I sometimes sell there as CCE614.

My $.02 is that T is best for those who like to experiment and try develop new things, and aren't expecting RTR off the shelf perfection. It's a scale in it's infancy but has huge potential because of the ability to model almost exactly to scale (See the Orbost module information). Personally, I love modelling in T!

PolarExcess

Re: Starter Recommendations?

Post by PolarExcess »

Thanks Jesse6669 for the fast response. I've read your blog and you go great work :!:

Couple of more questions:

How many powered locomotives can you run on one track?

When running multiple units, is there a way to prevent crossing collisions?

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

It actually amazing how many motorised units you cam have running powered by one controller. The InterCity125 set that Alan at TGauge.com has produced has three powered cars...and it runs really smooth! A realistic limit is probably around 4 or 5.

Regarding switching for cross-overs, there's a Youtube video out there that shows a trick using the reversers supplied with the stock controller to control trains on two loops that have a cross-over. Having looked at how its done, its more of a gimmick than being something that looks realistic. One train runs round its loop continually...and the other one is abruptly halted on the approach to the cross-over if the other train is in the vicinity of the cross-over until the continous running train passes through, then its jerked back into life!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

PolarExcess

Post by PolarExcess »

Thanks Doug for the information. After considerable research, I'm leaning towards the BR Inter-City 125 HST Model Railway Starter Set (132.5 mm curves) and a Garden Motor Car. I also plan to order some axles and couplers for future 3-D printed shells.

If anyone has any ore car shells for sale, I'm interesting in purchasing them.
Inter-City Starter Set.JPG
Inter-City Starter Set.JPG (47.62 KiB) Viewed 10445 times
Garden Motor Car.JPG
Garden Motor Car.JPG (34.47 KiB) Viewed 10210 times
t]

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

You can't go too far wrong with that starter set! When I first dived in I bought a loop of 132.5 track with a controller and one of the old 103 units on top, as well as a bit of extra track to play with! Almost 3 years later I've just ordered 4m of flextrack and have the base for my new layout ready to go!

T can be a very daunting scale due to the small number of RTR stock compared with other scales...but the stuff is out there, you just have to look harder! (or ask on here, that's what I usually do ;) )

PolarExcess

Post by PolarExcess »

It's official. I've ordered the HST Starter Set with the 132.5mm curves. I also opted for the Garden Motor Car & the adjustable chassis set for kitbashing. I plan on turning one of the adjustable chassis sets into an intermodal car. I'm a fan of the Maersk livery and may construct the containers out of paper or plastic material. We'll see. The other chassis sets might be used for lumber hauling or a tank car.

And so now I wait...
Attachments
Maersk.jpg
Maersk.jpg (134.16 KiB) Viewed 1557 times

NeilM

Post by NeilM »

I like the thinking on the containers. I had been thinking about doing some myself, using either scaled down photos of actual containers or else the brass etchings sold by Alan. These later are limited in length, but would be OK for the older UK style which carried 3 containers on a wagon. The more modern US types would of course need containers longer than these. Also, does the protoptype you have chosed have multiple cars permanently joined with single bogies between? Not that sure of what US prototypes are out there, but if they are all of that type then that would involve more modification of the standard chassis.

I also had a thought to build some TOFC cars. The trailers could be easy to build, however looking at the size of the weights supplied with the chassis, and not actually having ordered any yet to test, I am not sure if all that weight is needed just to keep the car on the track. If so then it would probably be necessary to cast the trailers from lead to have any hope of getting the combined weight high enough.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450

PolarExcess

Post by PolarExcess »

NeilM,

Attached is a picture of the adjustable chassis I'm using. I'm waiting for four of them to arrive via mail.

At first, I was tempted to purchase the etched brass intermodal containers you speak of, but opted for an arguably more adventurous route. I plan to construct the containers out of 1mm thick aluminum (AL) sheets by cutting the AL to appropriate size and adhere with super glue. Then I plan to scale down the attached Maersk Intermodal photo (my preferred livery) and glue it to the aluminum containers. Perhaps I can add a 3-D effect with miniscule metals scraps but no sense in getting too ahead of myself. If this doesn't work, perhaps I'll opt for the etched brass containers. Many fun options here.

I'd like your input or anyone else's for that matter. Your thoughts?
Adj Chassis.JPG
Adj Chassis.JPG (103.13 KiB) Viewed 8294 times
MAERSK.jpg
MAERSK.jpg (86.71 KiB) Viewed 1484 times

NeilM wrote:I like the thinking on the containers. I had been thinking about doing some myself, using either scaled down photos of actual containers or else the brass etchings sold by Alan. These later are limited in length, but would be OK for the older UK style which carried 3 containers on a wagon. The more modern US types would of course need containers longer than these. Also, does the protoptype you have chosed have multiple cars permanently joined with single bogies between? Not that sure of what US prototypes are out there, but if they are all of that type then that would involve more modification of the standard chassis.

I also had a thought to build some TOFC cars. The trailers could be easy to build, however looking at the size of the weights supplied with the chassis, and not actually having ordered any yet to test, I am not sure if all that weight is needed just to keep the car on the track. If so then it would probably be necessary to cast the trailers from lead to have any hope of getting the combined weight high enough.

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

I have some of the etched brass containers and theyre great! But unless you're super talented you'll struggle to paint the Maersk livery on one ;)

In this scale, paper stuck on aluminium will still look great without any need for relief....on a moving train you'd never know!

Sent from mobile device

NeilM

Post by NeilM »

That is the first time I have seen the adjustable chassis explained as to how they adjust, had not realised the holes were all alternative mounting points. That make them look quite easy to use.

As for the containers, any method of producing a rectangular block should work. For decoration I was considering using a photo printed to the correct scale - my thinking beoing that this would give a better result than using my own inkjet printer. I have not yet tested this question of quality, although I am currenly preparing an image of US boxcars, UK wagons and also some building fronts to get printed. It is amazing how much you can get on a 6" x 4" print in this scale! One other option would of course be printing your own decals - which is another thing I also plan to try some time, but do not have any experience of this as yet.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450

PolarExcess

Post by PolarExcess »

Mattd10,

Perhaps I'll become a master T-Gauge livery painter when my electron microscope arrives? :lol: Just kidding, no way in heck am I going to paint the Maersk livery. Perhaps something to aspire to?

In the mean time, I'm going to keep it simple and go with the paper livery. If I achieve this method, printed decal might be the next logical step.

You make an excellent point regarding the effect of the moving train on camouflaging the paper on aluminum.

I haven't seen any brass etched containers on a layout. Could you post a picture?

Thanks for your input and encouragement.

Cheers.

mattd10 wrote:I have some of the etched brass containers and theyre great! But unless you're super talented you'll struggle to paint the Maersk livery on one ;)

In this scale, paper stuck on aluminium will still look great without any need for relief....on a moving train you'd never know!

Sent from mobile device

PolarExcess

Post by PolarExcess »

NeilM,

I appreciate your input.

DIY decal printing is another avenue I hope to explore soon.

I'm stoked about the adjustable chassis, as there is plenty to tinker with.

I like the photo printed to correct scale idea. I can't tell but is the Maersk livery I posted a photo?

It would be great to see some of your images of US boxcars, UK wagons & building fronts.

NeilM wrote:That is the first time I have seen the adjustable chassis explained as to how they adjust, had not realised the holes were all alternative mounting points. That make them look quite easy to use.

As for the containers, any method of producing a rectangular block should work. For decoration I was considering using a photo printed to the correct scale - my thinking beoing that this would give a better result than using my own inkjet printer. I have not yet tested this question of quality, although I am currenly preparing an image of US boxcars, UK wagons and also some building fronts to get printed. It is amazing how much you can get on a 6" x 4" print in this scale! One other option would of course be printing your own decals - which is another thing I also plan to try some time, but do not have any experience of this as yet.
Last edited by PolarExcess on Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

I've not got any on mine unfortunately...on the previous forum there was someone who had a full container train but due to certain mishaps (shall we say) he no longer participates.

Although the blog post no longer exists, the cover photo for the blog is of a class 14 with a rake of containers painted in various colours.

http://itistimefortat1450.blogspot.co.u ... agons.html

I think they look great, but would be better with a mix on each wagon (eg 3X20ft, a 40ft+20ft, 2x30ft) as the wagons seem a little short to me. They're available from tgauge.com but they are more expensive than a paper one.

I've got some brass ones, but may resort to paper ones and use them to disguise a motor unit (a 60ft container wagon is close enough to 19m for me) so that I can have a realistic length container train!

If you're into modern image UK stuff, there's some great stuff on shapeways! Jesse (CCE614) has a hopper wagon and class 66 (he also made the class 67 shell available on tgauge.com) and Mitchell (spoorobjecten) has done some DMU's and eurpoean stuff! They're great if you fancy your chances at painting or decal making!

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ccetrai ... e-products
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/SpoorOb ... 450%29&s=0

I've got some even more modern image stuff on the way, but it's all stalled slightly until I can afford to get them all test printed and get some motor units to test them!

PolarExcess

Post by PolarExcess »

Mattd10,

WOW, those intermodal containers look phenomenal!

Mixing the container lengths would be a nice touch. I'm going with that suggestion.

I've modeled O Scale trains for some time & have found modeling European & Asian rolling stock difficult due to limited selection. That's one thing I enjoy about T Gauge is the greater accessibility to Euro & Asian models.

I've seen the great stuff on Shapeways.com and will likely explore that route once my hardware arrives.
Attachments
Intermodal.JPG
Intermodal.JPG (39.69 KiB) Viewed 9170 times

Philip

Post by Philip »

NeilM wrote:That is the first time I have seen the adjustable chassis explained as to how they adjust, had not realised the holes were all alternative mounting points. That make them look quite easy to use.

As for the containers, any method of producing a rectangular block should work. For decoration I was considering using a photo printed to the correct scale - my thinking beoing that this would give a better result than using my own inkjet printer right behind e cig. I have not yet tested this question of quality, although I am currenly preparing an image of US boxcars, UK wagons and also some building fronts to get printed. It is amazing how much you can get on a 6" x 4" print in this scale! One other option would of course be printing your own decals - which is another thing I also plan to try some time, but do not have any experience of this as yet.
I have a digital printer but I recently faced some problem. That is roller. I need to change the roller. But I can not find this exact model. This is really ridiculous. Please give me some name of ordinary shops Plz.

Philip

Post by Philip »

As for the containers, any method of producing a rectangular block should work. For decoration I was considering using a photo printed to the correct scale - my thinking beoing that this would give a better result than using my own inkjet printer right behind
e cig. I have not yet tested this question of quality, although I am currenly preparing an image of US boxcars, UK wagons and also some building fronts to get printed. It is amazing how much you can get on a 6" x 4" print in this scale! One other option would of course be printing your own decals - which is another thing I also plan to try some time, but do not have any experience of this as yet.
I have a digital printer but I recently faced some problem. That is roller. I need to change the roller. But I can not find this exact model. This is really ridiculous. Please give me some name of ordinary shops Plz.