Anybody in????

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.
dkightley

Anybody in????

Post by dkightley »

It's eerily quiet on the forum nowadays.....and I'm slightly concerned that everybody's attention has drifted elsewhere away from the serious subject of T Gauge.

I know there's a steady stream of registered users who log onto the forum on a nearly daily basis....but all seem reluctant to post to either say what they're up to....or to comment on other's posts, etc.

Come on...WAKEY WAKEY.....let's hear what going on out there.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

NeilM

Re: Anybody in????

Post by NeilM »

I have not been getting anywhere with my own layout (whats new!), but I have passed my time being busy in Google Sketchup. I now have 3 items of rolling stock almost ready to go (2x US, 1x UK). I am planning to have these released before the end of the week. Watch this space!
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450

ivanf

Post by ivanf »

you got me. :oops:

recently we've been decorating the house and fighting with our overgrown hedge - hedge now more or less subdued. I've only managed to squirt some clear coat onto a couple of models in the last month.

Next on my t-gauge list.

assemble my latest version of a t-gauge point/turnout
paint a bunch of Zm + T gauge stuff I've had printed

Ozrail

Post by Ozrail »

I know I have poor excuses for my lack of attendance.

Family members and friends passing to the afterlife.
Retail work is not as enjoyable thanks to new boss.
And been focus on my other model train scales, had to get new parts for my Live Steamer the other month.

The thrill of T-gauge has died on me a bit. I don't know why, maybe it's the lack of new products and news to keep me excited.
Sales for 3D prints is not strong as they use to be, and I've been focusing more on 3D animations for my youtube account which provide a more steady income.

For a while, I've been trying to build a new N-gauge layout, my old one was about 15 years old and was over due for a rebuild. (less train derailments hopefully)
I also dived into the world of DCC, which has not gone well for me. My first DCC chipped loco exploded after 10 mins in October 2015, and I only got it back from repairs a few weeks ago.

Ozrail
Check out my Shapeways store for T-gauge stuff.
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/everythingtgauge?s=0

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

Another one full of excuses here...

Just moved into a new flat so a lot of expense and lack of time has limited time for any hobby! Hopefully I'll be able to dive back into it soon!

Although I am enjoying following the progress of everyone else on here!

gbtrains

Post by gbtrains »

Hi to all
Yep busy just been at work ,then the tea shifts for the home duties.

Just getting started in constructing trees for the Low Moor Layout so will up date that when i get the camera out again.
AS I am talking about the layouts ..I am getting Leeds Central in modern is now in Scarm program and it will be 12 foot by 3 foot if deciding to go along with it but track amount along will cost a jiffy.

boohoo Shapeways stuff costing a bit more now that the sterling pound has dropped.

take care all.

Also waiting for the paint to dry on the new class 158 dmu theses will be in the northern rail livery.
But are now onto the class 66 trying to paint them in the Freightliner green and yellow.

Does anyone know if you can get a better yellow other than humbrol as it is very weak and you have to re coat twice.

Regards
Graham

msimister

Post by msimister »

I read the conversations on the site, most of which I find interesting and useful, but I don't often have anything useful to add. Like others, my time for modelling is limited and in recent months I suspect I've just done what others have already done, namely paint a BR Warship, a Class 25 and a Class 156 DMU. I do love this gauge and can imagine all sorts of wonderful layouts, if only I had the time (and the skills).

By way of some sort of contribution, a pic of all my stock is attached. The Crimson Lake red GWR parcels railcar is awaiting its chassis (one of the springs that hold the bogie to the frame came off and I couldn't find it so I'm waiting for the spare to arrive from Edinburgh) and I know that's not the right colour but it's not too far off and I like it. I also know the yellow line down the body side and that on the green railcar are too wide, but I don't think they look too bad. The green railcar should have 'whiskers' on the front too, but I haven't been game to try to paint them on yet. The Class 156 is supposed to be in Abellio Greater Anglia livery but I don't really like it and the red on the doors doesn't look right, so I'll repaint it at some stage. But the model I like least is the Class 108 DMU. Nothing wrong with the 3D printed model but I found the Humbrol BR blue paint very difficult to work with, a problem I've not had with other Humbrol colours. Maybe it is just a bad tin. Had similar issues with the Warship and Class 25 but they eventually came out better.

Next up is to 'finish' off my laptop box U shape 'layout' and then start on another layout with, I hope, enhanced skills and more scope to run the models.

Cheers,

Malcolm
Attachments
T gauge rolling stock.jpg
T gauge rolling stock.jpg (62.58 KiB) Viewed 12561 times

Reith01

Post by Reith01 »

It's just the sheer time it takes to do anything as, all but rolling stock and some track, everything has to be scratchbuilt.

I can afford an average of an hour per day on this which isn't a lot considering what has to be done.
I scrapped my original layout - a fair bit of money lost in track but I did save the rail. The points went in the bin long ago.
I spent 6 weeks making a workable point. I need at least 3 on a new layout. Some of the problems are: steel rail, difficult to solder;
cutting hundreds of sleepers 1mmx7mm; keeping the gauge.

Then there's the matter of a few dozen street lamps.

So anyway it was giving me such a headache late last year that I turned to dioramas (which I can't show here because they're 1:150,
mostly around SanKei papercraft kits - if ONLY Sankei could reduce their (laser cut) kits to 1:450 I'd have a hay day as I'm
happy with Japanese outline).

I haven't yet decided whether to give up. I had looked to T Gauge as a chance to expand my electronics flair but my first effort failed.
After said "points" effort I decided to take a break. I really can't throw myself into another one straight away.

cheers,
Ivor

Bobbymo

Post by Bobbymo »

NeilM wrote:I have not been getting anywhere with my own layout (whats new!), but I have passed my time being busy in Google Sketchup. I now have 3 items of rolling stock almost ready to go (2x US, 1x UK). I am planning to have these released before the end of the week. Watch this space!
Will the US rolling stock be on your shapeways?
Rob

NeilM

Post by NeilM »

Rob,

Only just got to see this - have been without as laptop and have also been away - but hopefully you will have seen the US wagons in my shop now as I did add them before I went away. Both are available singly or as a pack of 3. As always, if you have a need of a different quantity then just ask.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450

Switcher102

Post by Switcher102 »

Ozrail wrote:
The thrill of T-gauge has died on me a bit. I don't know why, maybe it's the lack of new products and news to keep me excited.
Have you considered incorporating T gauge within your other scaled layouts (like I am doing)? What would T gauge represent within N gauge? 2ft gauge?

OR …. how about making some 3D stuff to go along with the T gauge garden motor car? Is that not what the garden motor car is for? I don't think it is an accurate 1:450 scale model of anything, or is it? Who buys it? I believe it's purpose is to be used within the bigger scales, but I don't think there are any passenger coaches to go with it.

Sorry Doug to be promoting a use of T gauge that is not actually T gauge but I am thinking if it helps sales it keeps the gauge on the market for true T gauge enthusiasts.
Reith01 wrote:
I haven't yet decided whether to give up. I had looked to T Gauge as a chance to expand my electronics flair but my first effort failed.
Aauh, it's a shame to read such things. Considering the points issue in T gauge and your electronics knowledge what do you reckon to having a go at converting T gauge to battery powered infrared (IR) control? See my thread on Wireless Control for T Gauge.

Rich

ncdtrains

Post by ncdtrains »

oddly enough, I check in from time to time.

But, being in America, it's so hard to keep motivated. I got a lot of track, and started getting stuff together to build a layout and ardash died and trainsaid went down and to be honest, it killed it for me temporarily. I know I can get stuff overseas, but I'd rather buy in the states, and it still bothers me that ardash passed. I got all my stuff from him over the course of a couple years.

I'd love to see the hobby grow, but it seems overall, innovation is halted.

I've got a nice 3d printer I got, the littlerp and also a Olo I backed and am waiting on. All with the hopes to print my own stuff, but I degress I cannot design 3d files so....lol

Reith01

Post by Reith01 »

I hope to restart sometime in the new year. My first effort was too ambitious. No doubt it could have been sorted out but I was seriously disappointed with myself! Lessons learned though. Next one will be far simpler.

1) Make a decent set of point jigs and gauges (if only Tgauge.com could come up with a triangular gauge!!)
2) Use half metre lengths of flexitrack
3) Don't glue the track down
4) Connect every piece of track to the supply via a distribution arrangement
5) Do more work on train detection electronics
6) Don't join flexitrack on a curve!

And a few other things, no doubt!

barneyadi

Post by barneyadi »

Reith01 wrote:I hope to restart sometime in the new year. My first effort was too ambitious. No doubt it could have been sorted out but I was seriously disappointed with myself! Lessons learned though. Next one will be far simpler.

1) Make a decent set of point jigs and gauges (if only Tgauge.com could come up with a triangular gauge!!)
2) Use half metre lengths of flexitrack
3) Don't glue the track down
4) Connect every piece of track to the supply via a distribution arrangement
5) Do more work on train detection electronics
6) Don't join flexitrack on a curve!

And a few other things, no doubt!
Very interesting lessons. Regarding tack, you can now get 750mm track, as having had a chat with Alan he mentioned the 1000mm track had slight issues with curving it etc. Will let you know how I get on with it, hopefully get it tomorrow.

Switcher102

Post by Switcher102 »

Hello T gauge, I'm still in, I haven't given up on my project to use T gauge to represent 5 inch gauge within O gauge, and to convert it to battery powered radio control, it's just that I've got too many standard gauge O gauge projects that have come up. Carry on the good work T gaugers.

scottmitchell74

Post by scottmitchell74 »

I still get the TGauge.com newsletter...and I'm keeping my eye out, but until there are more innovations I don't know if I'll pull the trigger. I'm not super handy. It took me forever to finish my N-Scale layout. I'm 95% happy with it and I think it looks good, but at sticking points I'd just stall out due to fear/lack of skills and I think that would be much worse with T Gauge. Until things are more Ready To Run and more "dummy-proof" I'll just have to wait and see.

I'll say, though, I still want to buy and put together that Deltic 55 Prototype...someday. :D

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Well I was hoping that I wouldn't need to resurrect this thread!

Its gone very quiet over the past month. Does this mean everyone's lost interest in T......or that nobody has anything to say?? :cry: :cry: Or is it both?
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

mattinair

Post by mattinair »

Just shy ....... and lazy......not that you'd know it looking at the chaos in the studio
DSCN5832_01.JPG
DSCN5832_01.JPG (126.65 KiB) Viewed 14629 times
I do have most of my trees for the forest the lookout tower looks out over completed....whew
DSCN5840_01.JPG
DSCN5840_01.JPG (158.04 KiB) Viewed 14629 times
And I've started the drawing that will end up being the circular boardwalk around the perimeter of the turntable
DSCN5841_02.JPG
DSCN5841_02.JPG (96.79 KiB) Viewed 14629 times
Although I plan to have the turntable be manually operated initially... I've sort of started messing about with a loco gear train hooked up to one of those amazing little reduction gear motors from Tgauge.com as a way to turn it really slowly
DSCN5831_01.JPG
DSCN5831_01.JPG (35.52 KiB) Viewed 14629 times
I'm in no way ready to start tackling a steamer yet........but I'm sure jealous of Joe and boy do I want one......double whew(!)

rail450

Post by rail450 »

Hello,
this 6mm gearmotor

http://www.ebay.de/itm/251265678936?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT

is also available with 40rpm

BR,
Siegfried

msimister

Post by msimister »

Not lost interest, just been diverted by other things, including work, training to be a guard on Puffing Billy (a 2' 6" gauge preserved steam railway near Melbourne) and my OO scale layout. Will get back to T gauge in due course.
Malcolm