Intercity 125 Motor Longevity

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.
grahame

Intercity 125 Motor Longevity

Post by grahame »

A while ago I suffered the loss of a motor in my Intercity 125 set. Here are details on how to make the replacement. You have to cut the plastic welds (new razor blade works well) on one end of the upper bus bars.

http://www.talkingtgauge.net/viewtopic. ... ahame#p589

Yesterday, as far as I can see, the other one went out. Lights on but no movement of the motor at all. Just wanted to know if I have been unlucky or have others seen these go out as well. Not a huge amount of miles on either of them. Alan kindly sent a replacement last time FOC but I will of course be buying the next one. This set was one of the first supplied.

Thanks
British exPat in Houston, Texas.

dkightley

Re: Intercity 125 Motor Longevity

Post by dkightley »

I've run my 125 set (and a set Alan lent me) for the best part of 4 or 5 days at shows with only occasional issues with dirt pick up on the drive wheels. Every time with the PWM controllers run from rechargeable batteries.

Can't remember if it was the 125 or not, but I do remember once a motor actually feeling slightly warm....which surprised me.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

martink

Post by martink »

I have 8 locos including 3 in the HST, and all have done 4-5 days solid running without a hiccup (other than dirt). More, I run mine on 5.5V instead of the standard 4.5V which gives better stops and starts at the cost of slightly more heating, but no problems. I have another 6 days exhibition running planned for this year, so we'll see....

grahame

Post by grahame »

Mine are used rather sporadically and can go for quite a while unused. I wonder if this is a contributing factor. The first replacement is fine. This is certainly the other power car from the original set. The powered buffet car and two other locos are still fine.
British exPat in Houston, Texas.