T gauge rail supplier

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.
jkneiling

T gauge rail supplier

Post by jkneiling »

Does anyone know of a supplier of ferritic steel rail? Nickel silver code 40 is readily available but not magnetic.

dkightley

Re: T gauge rail supplier

Post by dkightley »

Hi..and welcome to the form.

I'm not sure if it was an early thread on this forum, or a thread on the predecessor to this forum where someone did identify a possible source of suitable rail stock. I seem to remember the supplier (or potential supplier) was wanting a minimum order that was far in excess of whoever found them was prepared to place.

Lets cross fingers ....and see if my post jogs someone else's memory further than Mine can go.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

Reith01

Post by Reith01 »

The only easy way is to take readymade track to pieces. I have an amount left after laying flexitrack which I'll be experimenting with. I discovered it can be soldered (if very clean) and will bond to plastruct with CA. As plastruct do 1mm² it'll be near enough the same size as flexitrack sleepers. I intend to make gauges with the wheels supplied by Alan Ramsey with small discs or something glued to faces opposite the flanges then set into some kind of fixture.

cheers,
Ivor

jkneiling

Post by jkneiling »

I would be happy to contribute to a minimum order for track, if we can find it. And the gauge based on Alan's wheels sounds like a great idea! I am also looking into making some templates that would serve the same purpose as those for Z (and other gigantic gauges) on handlaidtrack.com.

Reith01

Post by Reith01 »

Good site. - downloaded a couple of z templates in the hope of reducing them x2.05. Just to have a look....

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

I've emailed MicroEngineering on behalf of the forum to enquire if they can help.....and they came back quite quickly with:
"I'm sorry, we do not use steel rail. Only nickel/silver and aluminum on large scale rail.".
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

jkneiling

Post by jkneiling »

Thanks, Doug - I called them last week and they researched it for me before giving me the same answer.

jkneiling

Post by jkneiling »

I am planning to use T-Gauge to model a number of New York City urban lines of the past and present, including historic elevated subway lines. This will require lots of tight-radius curves and custom-built switches (turnouts), etc., so the the general order of the day will be hand-laid track and purpose-specific rolling stock.

This would not be an issue in any other gauge, so my question is this - will T-Gauge be the only model railroad gauge that does not support hand-laid rail and open standards? I hope not, because I like T-Gauge, and would like it to see it become a serious hobby rather than a single-vendor product.

My suggestion at this point would be for this forum, as a body, to ask K.K. Eishendo, Alan Ramsay and Hong Kong Railway to provide rail products for those of us who need it to lay our own rail. The benefit for everyone would be an expanded acceptance of this gauge, and increased market share for the mainstream manufacturer, retailer, and inventor.

Looks like a win-win for everyone to me.

Doug - would you like to raise this on our behalf?

Thanks,

John Kneiling

SmallCentral

Post by SmallCentral »

I also looked for rectangular profile in steel , code 25 or 30. But I found nothing.
This is why I use 0.5mm wire piano. It is magnetic, less than code 15 and it works great .
I weld the wires on ties made in PCB .
I'll post pictures this weekend .

Best regards.

jkneiling

Post by jkneiling »

I guess that would be gauge 25.

Thanks for your help. I would love to see the pictures.

SmallCentral

Post by SmallCentral »

SmallCentral wrote:...I use 0.5mm wire piano. It is ... less than code 15 ...

What a shame :oops: I was wrong about the code .
In fact it is code 20 (0.5mm / 0.0254 = 19,67).

Nutter

Post by Nutter »

Useless bit of info but the rails are the same size as code 40 rail and although not magnetic it could be compatible for none std bits of track .
Code 40 also fits the rail joiners.
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

I'm still following up a couple of lines of enquiry re locating a source of code 40 rail in a magnetic material.

I'll report back if and when I have something.....
Doug Kightley

SmallCentral

Post by SmallCentral »

The piano wire is cheap and is in all good hobby stores.
Waiting to show you more pictures of my rails made ​​with piano wire ...
Eishindo track vs piano wire track
Eishindo track vs piano wire track
tgauge-handlaid-track-12--4d2d677.jpg (43.85 KiB) Viewed 10196 times
Piano wire track with ties and ballast
Piano wire track with ties and ballast
IMAG0079B.jpg (99.42 KiB) Viewed 11651 times

jkneiling

Post by jkneiling »

Wow, that looks great! I noticed the unpainted ties on the jpg. Is that from a 3D printer, or is there a source for this?

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!

I have managed to identify a source of code 40 rail that is magnetic...and hence suitable for T Gauge!

Whilst I continue discussions on establishing a supply line, could I ask for those who would be interested in having some rail please say so in this thread so I can determine the way in which my discussion will proceed.
Doug Kightley

Nutter

Post by Nutter »

As I have a stock of n/s code 40 I shall try that first.
Templates for making points would be of most use to me.
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.

NeilM

Post by NeilM »

Doug,

Good to know you are getting somewhere on this. thanks for progressing this for us.

I know you are really needing people to commit so that you know where you are in discussions, however I could only put myself down as interested at the moment. what I am think about is what are people using for sleepers/ties? I know that pcb strip is normal for hand build track, but does anyone know of a source in the correct width for a T gauge sleeper? Otherwise cutting strip to this size would be quite a task bearing in mind how many sleepers we need for even an inch of track.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450

SmallCentral

Post by SmallCentral »

Nutter wrote:As I have a stock of n/s code 40 I shall try that first.
Templates for making points would be of most use to me.
I already tried with nickel silver and it doesn't work because the motorized chassis skate and so can not pull wagons :!:
It is imperative that the rails are made ​​of steel .

SmallCentral

Post by SmallCentral »

dkightley wrote:GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!

I have managed to identify a source of code 40 rail that is magnetic...and hence suitable for T Gauge!

Whilst I continue discussions on establishing a supply line, could I ask for those who would be interested in having some rail please say so in this thread so I can determine the way in which my discussion will proceed.
Yes good news !!!! For my part , I am interested but it depends on price and when it will be available .