Ideas / Advice Please.

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.
Nutter

Ideas / Advice Please.

Post by Nutter »

Ideas please.
I am planning my new Zm Layout and want some help.
1) Do I just do a roundy round with a passing loop/storage loop or something else? Size not more than 48" x 24" as that is the maximum that will fit in the back of the car.
2) I shall be using 19m chassis in either single railcar mode or as a ghost wagon pushing a small 0-6-0 loco and pulling another wagon.
3) Using 3d prints which are longer than the chassis what is the best couplings to use?
4) Will be using flexi track for most of the track but realise I will need the adaptors to use the points.
5) Plans are for a village with a watermill, some woodland, and a small station.
Mike
DON'T knock it at least I am trying to do something, with only one good hand.

Nutter

Re: Ideas / Advice Please.

Post by Nutter »

Starting to buy some buildings ready for this project, whilst not actual 1/220 scale they are designed for 6mm military wargames.
Station will be from this range.
http://www.timecastmodels.co.uk/range_6/range_6.html.
Good quality reasonably priced buildings that are delivered within 7 days.
Mike

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

Sounds like a great project! For me, I'd go for roundy roundy as T is slightly more suited to this.
With regards to couplings, I don't have much experience but maybe standard Z couplings or something scratch built to do what you need?

martink

Post by martink »

It all depends on what you are trying to do. You've mentioned fitting it into your car, so does that mean an exhibition layout? Do you want it to run by itself, while you (or others) sit back and watch the trains go by? Do you want to keep it simple with all the track on the flat, or are you willing to have gradients? For exhibitions, having two trains moving (or, better, alternating) is much more visually interesting than just one going round and round. 4' x 2' is actually a great deal of space for T/Zm, and you can really do a lot with it - my Sarum Bridge has the same board area.

Assuming you want something a bit more than just a basic oval (even stretched and twisted a bit)...
- a single track wrapped oval to double the run length, or really twisted into a rabbit warren
- a double track (maybe not so suitable for Zm)
- a single track with passing loop (with a couple of diodes, the basic controller and a pair of one-way points gives you enough automation to alternate two trains)
- the completely equivalent double-track with single-track bridge concept
- two very different stations, one on each side of the board (you have enough width for two scenic areas)
- the old point-to-point shuttle

Nutter

Post by Nutter »

Size was quoted as that is the biggest size piece of timber that I can fit in the car to bring it home. Possible exhibition use if I can do it to an acceptable standard.
Keeping the trackbed flat would be preferable, alternating fixed rake trains was the original idea as shunting the small stock could be a problem.
Definitely single track with only the one station visible.
Don't like rabbit warren style layouts and don't want too much hidden under hills etc - sods law has proved to me that is where the problems always occur.
Did wonder about end to end but the points currently available leave a lot to be desired for that idea.
Don't need automation prefer to drive the trains myself.

Martin could you post details on how you did your couplings on the wagons on your layout. My dummy loco is probably very similar in size.
Mike

martink

Post by martink »

I just used the spare standard couplings, or ones salvaged from the several bogie chassis that I cannibalized for wheels, plus others of various types bought from tgauge.com. They simply twist into the pockets on Ozrail's wagons, though don't bother with the springs! If you are doing a chassis yourself, you might want to check with Ozrail, buy one or two of his wagons, or look them up on Shapeways. Another option would be take a look at the coupler pockets on the standard stock, possibly even cutting one off the end of a spare bogie and fitting that to your model.

Nutter

Post by Nutter »

Martin - Many thanks for that info.
Have robbed some buckeyes off one of my remaining sets of 103 trains. The old style motored unit pushes and pulls my little 0-6-0 loco fine on sectional track. :D
Have decided that I will have a roundy round (not a std oval)with a passing loop/storage siding at the rear which is large enough to store a train comprising the loco,19m motor unit in a dummy shell and a couple of bogie open wagons.
Mike

ConnorL

Post by ConnorL »

What does your locomotive look like? I don't think we ever seen it before.

Nutter

Post by Nutter »

Pictures of the little loco now with couplings.
Underside shot just to give you an idea of size and the other shot on my diorama .
Loco is a VM10C of German origins and was used on many narrow gauge lines
Mike

ConnorL

Post by ConnorL »

Wow! That looks cool and neat. I like the paint on it.