Static grass or drybrushing.

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.
ChrisC

Static grass or drybrushing.

Post by ChrisC »

I am experimenting with a few things for my first T Gauge layout, especially groundwork. I have tried a couple of options with some foamcore off cuts, grout, PVA and chinchilla bathing sand, but I am not sure whether to go with painting/dry brushing (the tile on the left) or static grass (right). Any thoughts?
57674036-1BC7-4766-95DA-707683B67050.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martink

Re: Static grass or drybrushing.

Post by martink »

Don't forget the third option (scatter) and combinations of the three.

The static grass looks good, but remember the scale: that is waist- to head-height for our little people! Even fine scatter is grossly over-scale in T. Unfortunately, paint by itself really isn't enough. It also depends on how you blend in the track, roads, buildings, etc. I use scatter-over-paint, but static-over-(green)paint would probably look good for wilder areas.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Hi Chris

Welcome to the forum.....

On your question, there are a couple of things I take into account for my own layouts....

Firstly, lets take the length of real gras and scale down. A length range of say 4.5mm to 9 mm scales down to 0.01mm to .02mm......or about the thickness of a hair. This is getting to the limit of achievable recognition by the human eye at around 1m distance.

Secondly, I have a theory that kicks all the rivet-counters down the road. The eye never lies! It sees a few splodges of colour and passes what it sees to the sub-concious part of the brain. The sub-concoius part of the brain compares what is has been given with a life-time's worth of images....and best guesses what the eye has seen in context with what the last known image was. Lets say it last saw a house from above....the few splodges of colour are interpreted as a back garden. This is what the sub-concious part of the brain passes to the concious part of the brain... and "I see a garden!" And a garden has greass in it!

Now....having taken my The Bridge layout out to over twenty shows, and put this theory to many, many others I've had almost 100% acknowledgement that modelling in T is more artistic than scale modelling! A final thought....T gauge rail scaled up has a rail head width of over 40cm.

Going back to your question.....my answer is drybrushing.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

An order from tgauge.com of figures and cars etc just arrived today (ordered Tuesday!) and I think I will definitely be going for drybrushing. I had no trouble working out the figure height but that still didn’t prepare me for how much detail is in such tiny models!

Raffzahn

Post by Raffzahn »

Maybe worth a look, Silhuette Modellbau does offers two type of .5mm grass. To scale, at ca. 24 cm,within reason for T.

https://www.mininatur.de/en/miniNatur-F ... -100g.html

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

0.5mm equates to appox the height of wheat in a field. Grass on a playing field would scale to a height of less than a tenth of a millimetre.

For grass, I would reccomend:
- Paint area with PVA glue
- Whilst still wet, sprinkle & spread around a powder such as baking powder or other fine powdery material
- When dry, brush/vaccum off surplus
- Spray with acrylic paint in a bright shade of green
- When dry, spray lightly with a brownish shade od acrylic green
- Whilst still wet, gently wipe off the wet paint from the high spots to give a colour variation effect.

I've not done this method myself for a while as I've usually relied on using visual context to give the impression of a green painted area being grass!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk