Has anyone used the new fine scale track?

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.
NeilM

Has anyone used the new fine scale track?

Post by NeilM »

Has anyone used the new fine scale track from tgauge.com, who has also used the older style set track, and can give a comparison of the two?

I have a thought for a new small layout, really just a circle plus a couple of straights, just enough to stop it being an out and out circle (or pizza as such layouts have become known)

I like the look of the finescale track as it seems to get away from the 'Kato look' of the track on my first layout. It will need ballasting, but I would have been adding some ballast anyway. Also looks to be about half the price to create a loop, even when factoring in the need to buy rail joiners separately.

Not sure how subtle the joiners are in use as I have not seen any photos of track laid with them. A shame they still have the metal part a different colour to the rail - as does the set track with roadbed - as that does just draw attention to them on the layout.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450

dkightley

Re: Has anyone used the new fine scale track?

Post by dkightley »

I've used well 0over 150ft of flexitrack and something like 50ft of set track sections. Unfortunately, the flexitrack I've used is not the new fine scale track.

If there's a weak spot its the track connectors.....not the colour. The track is stainless steel and the joiners might be gold flashed spring steel. I find the clamping action of the joiners weakens far too quickly....but having said that, I do make and break joins in the track every time I set a layout up!!

The only way of disguising the joiners is to paint them to match the ballast colour.....and the biggest problem with flexitrack is setting the right distance between double tracks...particularly on complex curves - which is why I created the track spacers that I had available in the TTG shop.

The one problem I have at present is that I'm not sure whether to re-open the shop. I closed the shop during the lockdown last year after having difficulties safely posting the very few orders I had at the time, Since then, I've had zero enquiries re re-opening, been accused of selling things far too cheaply because I wasn't wanting to make any money by someone who virtually demanded I send him stl files so he could get a friend to print things for him, and my enthusiasm for the hobby is under attack by pandemic blues!.

Add to that there's very little traffic on the forum because all the newer T gauge enthusiats are using Facecrap.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

NeilM

Post by NeilM »

Thank for your reply Doug.

To partly answer my own question in the opening post - I have found a tutorial on line about the separate rail joiners;

https://tgauge.home.blog/category/tutorial/ (scroll down to the 3rd tutorial)

In summary, the basic joiners do not look good because they have too much plastic and not enough empty space between the sleepers.

The method of fixing this in the video (using the metal rail joiners, rather than the comined joiners/sleepers unit, and then adding the sleepers separately) looks good. This does however assume you can pick up the assembled track sections to fit the sleepers. I am thinking the missing sleepers could also be pre assembled as a unit with square spacers to separate and fix the 6 sleepers need, arranged such that the separators will lie directly under the rail so not be visible. Then the completed sleeper unit could be slipped under track already laid.

On the video the rail had also been painted brown at the sides to represent rusty steel, which also helped hide the joiners.

Do agree Doug about facebook. I do check that just so I do not miss things, but how can you get a proper thread going on a busy group when things just disappear off the screen when anything newer comes along? Until someone come up with a better way I prefer to put my smatphone aside and use a proper forum.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450

kajovog

Post by kajovog »

That video is from me :) Pre assemble them as you described would work and be faster..... The only issue I can see is that the joiners wraps around the rail so you don't really have a flat surface under the rail that covers all 6 ties. By applying the ties (sleepers) separately you will get it flush to the rail on the "top" of the ties and the small difference in hight on the underside will be take care of by some sanding.

I have a couple of projects going with fine tracks and I have refined the method a bit, but I have kind of dragged my feet because its a bit tricky with rolling stock (only the 16m chassis work out of the box) and you need to make sure you get the track work "correct". BUT you can for sure make it work with fine track.

BTW that is a terrible video, I am planning to redo it with the new stuff I am doing.

/KG

kajovog

Post by kajovog »

My explanation was probably terrible. I hope this image can clarify what I mean. If you look at the red circle you see what I mean with "height" difference.
connector.jpg
connector.jpg (216.63 KiB) Viewed 147 times