Couplings

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.
westernsultan

Couplings

Post by westernsultan »

I'd like a simple answer or answers on how to fit couplings and springs into wagons and carriages please, without them jumping everywhere never to be seen again. Just the standard couplings.

dkightley

Re: Couplings

Post by dkightley »

If you find your fingers are too big to easily handle the couplings, then a pair of pointed nose tweezers is the best tool for the job.

You'll be able to hold the coupling by poking one side of the pointed end of the tweezers into the "hole" formed by the coupling so you can then grip the coupling and manipulate it easily. The spring should tend not to drop off as the small pin moulded into the coupling shaft should stop it!

Pick the coupling up with your tweezers as indicated, noting which way the little pin on the coupling shaft is pointing. Offer the coupling shaft up to the hole in the bogie "twisted" at 90 degrees so that the pin points to either the left or to the right, Push it gently in and twist so the pin points downwards....and it should lock into place.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

westernsultan

Re: Couplings

Post by westernsultan »

Thanks Doug

I'll have a go this weekend when my wife and dog are out of the way