Happy Birthday TalkingTGauge.net

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.
dkightley

Happy Birthday TalkingTGauge.net

Post by dkightley »

Happy Birthday TalkingTGauge.net.

It's 13th November...and it’s one year since the current forum went live. So I think it’s time to take a look back at how this first year has fared.

As of the time of posting the forum has 97 members (I have two accounts) and there have been 888 posts in 112 topics...and technically, the forum has been very stable apart from a short period where the hosting company had issues with software upgrades.

If I were to be brutally honest, I am a little disappointed with the lack of discussions and posts...particularly over the past few months. Is this indicative of the waning interest in T gauge? Or is it simply a fact that T gaugers are not a talkative lot!

There are a core of members who visit the forum on an almost daily basis...but don't seem to have a lot to say! And there are some who visit say once a month...and I have to assume they must be bemused by the lack of new posts.

Is the forum dying? I hope not!

Whatever happens, I have every intention of keeping the forum online for the foreseeable future...and wait and see what transpires over the next year.....

Do please add your own thoughts and comments.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

Towers

Re: Happy Birthday TalkingTGauge.net

Post by Towers »

I visit the forum whenever a new post is put up but I am terrible for being a lurker and rarely posting.

I run the only blog that has had any updates in the last 6 months, its a shame because some of the stuff out there on the web is really spectacular, with the likes of Orbost and your bridge project.

I wonder, if and when the finances of the world have got better and people have more spare cash lying around we might see some more life in the hobby.

And happy birthday to the forum of course. It THE place for T gauge discussion!

ConnorL

Post by ConnorL »

Happy Birthday TalkingTGauge!

It had been awesome experience being here, seeing other people's creation.

I'll see if I can stir up few more posts, but it's hard since I'm waiting for my 3D printer. My projects are basically frozen right now. However, on the old forum, I uploaded my layout progress. I'll see if I can pull it up again on this new forum.

I can guaranteed you that there's a lot people interested in T-Gauge, but they never bothered to participate the discussion! (I'm watching the view counts on each post.)

I can easily say that we have at least 20 active users everyday.

NeilM

Post by NeilM »

Indeed, Happy Birthday to us!

And a big thank you to you Doug for keeping the forum running.

Hopefully as more peole get to see T gauge in action at the exhibitions (which alas, I have not managed to do myself) and see what it can do then we will pick up some more members. However I have also noticed that the view count on my thread does climb slowly day by day, so there are a good number of people viewing the site.

My progress is slow becuase I have other hobbies, and other scales/gauges within railway modelling, that compete for my time and funds. I am however moving things along slowly, and do try to keep adding updates to my thread when I have anything worth saying. A completed layout that I could take to exhibitions would be ideal, but for now I am turning to the computer and working on my 3D models, putting the finishing touches to a US freight car ready for a test print and also working on some British wagons.
Neil

T gauge items in my Shapeways shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/t450

martink

Post by martink »

The average T gauge layout is quite small and doesn't take that long to build (a certain Scottish bridge being a notable exception). I found that I posted periodically while my layout was under construction, but this ceased when the job was done. More will be forthcoming when I've got something new and interesting to show... maybe in another week or two! :ugeek:

FWIW, I'm one of those lurkers that checks daily, but doesn't bother logging in unless I want to post.

hedge

Post by hedge »

Happy Birthday to us! A big "Thank You" to Doug for keeping it running.

I'm one of those who stay logged in and check daily for new messages.
I'm looking forward to having time to embark on a proper layout of my own and I love following the progress of others, especially a certain Scottish project.
No doubt when I do finally get started I'll be posting a lot more. Meanwhile, just popping in keeps my enthusiasm alive. :) :)

Alex

Post by Alex »

A belated happy birthday from me :)

I still check the forums to see what's been happening but haven't been able to do much with my layout from lack of time.
Hoping to do some more soon.

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

I am yet another who tend to visit regularly but doesn't post a lot! Unfortunately I can't paint small enough on any of my 3D prints and I find I don't have the time these days for that sort of thing so that's holding me back from T. I still really like the idea of using T for narrow gauge (I recently got hold of some HOf...which is 18"-ish so maybe T gauge can work alongside?) or maybe using N or Z for narrow gauge (there are some shapeways prints for Zf...works out as about 2/3ft narrow gauge and Roy Bergauer produces kits for Ni...500mm german narrow gauge).

Also on a completely separate note there seems to be an awful lot more models on shapeways recently, including a danish loco and set of coaches! I don't think T is dead, I think they just haven't found the forum yet! ;)

LarryO

Post by LarryO »

Hello from Ontario, Canada
Just joined on Nov. 16th, so this is my first attempt to post something. Great to see that the forum has been active for a year.
Am currently building a Z layout, and bought a T-gauge, HST starter set on a whim. Now I'm trying to figure out how to include one of those two train/auto reversing set-ups (one train trips detector and the other train goes in the opposite direction etc.) in the layout. Would probably make layout look a lot deeper as the smaller trains would give a false sense of distance. Neat to see them go up a steep grade that no other scales could climb.
Loving the great info on the site. Particularly interested in the track cleaning issues with the Atlas stuff. But don't seem to be able to find a supply. Many Z scalers swear by using a drop of automobile transmission fluid on the rails to improve conductivity to engines, and reduce the crud build-up.
Thanks to you all
LarryO

martink

Post by martink »

LarryO wrote:... Now I'm trying to figure out how to include one of those two train/auto reversing set-ups (one train trips detector and the other train goes in the opposite direction etc.) in the layout. ...
Welcome aboard. The crossing loop is quite easy to set up, though if you do it all using the commercial parts it can add up to quite a bit. You need two of the one-way points to make the loop, then need to isolate one rail in each loop. You can do this using four of the isolating pieces or by simply removing four fishplates (and possibly inserting either a sliver of plastic or a drop of PVA glue to ensure that the rails don't touch). Then you need to add power feeds to both of these tracks, inserting a diode into the two wires out of four that feed the isolated rails. The rest of it is just the two optical detectors that come with the control box.

LarryO

Post by LarryO »

Hello to MartinK
This is a nothing to do with T=gauge, but since you are from Australia I must enter a complete seque. My niece is married to a former RAAF F-18 pilot (I think that's right). He attended the Royal Military College in Ontario where he met my niece.
Winter is here in Ontario
LarryO