Rhaetian Railway (Rhatische Bahn) in T-gauge? help 4 newbie

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.
tjejojyj

Re: Rhaetian Railway (Rhatische Bahn) in T-gauge? help 4 new

Post by tjejojyj »

I've had my first play with the vehicle on the track. I wasn't prepared for exactly how small t-gauge really is. It really opens up more possibilities.

Along these lines I've found out how to download Google Earth terrain into Sketchup. If I change the scale to 1:333 I can probably use some of the actual landform in the model. The area around the Landwasser Viaduct, and between Filisur Station and Davos Wiesen station across the Wiesen Viaduct is now my prototype. Both of those bridges might fit in full.

For those interested in the Rhaetian Railway I heartily recommend Google "streetview" of the railway. Unfortunately it doesn't cover every line (such as between Filisur and Wiesen) but it is impressive.

tjejojyj

Post by tjejojyj »

Just a quick update.
I found Sketchup models of the Landwasser viaduct and the Weisen viaduct in the Sketchup library.

When I shrank them to 1:333 I can just fit them in the space I plan. However this will require a redesign of the track work as the Weisen viaduct is about 2/3rds of the total length. I'll post an image soon.

I'm hoping to modify the Sketchup drawings so I can 3D print the bridges.

Also: after a bit of frustration with the drivers I have the Pololu Baby Orangutan microprocessor working with my computer and I've uploaded my first code. I need to buy some components to use it as a controller but I think it will work. (EDIT: I should have noted that I think the problem was with my old Windows Vista machine which I don't use very often, not with the drivers themselves)

tjejojyj

Post by tjejojyj »

This is the new design I'm working on with bridges downloaded from Sketchup 3D warehouse. The longer Wiesen Viaduct is to scale while the taller Landwasser viaduct has been shrunk in the lateral dimensions by about 10% to get it to fit with my outside limits. I'm hoping I can use these as the basis for 3D printing.
Licthl Dytevarren new - bare bones.JPG
Licthl Dytevarren new - bare bones.JPG (150.05 KiB) Viewed 587 times
Still working on the controller. I have been busy with work etc. so only bought the components I need yesterday. I've got a clear idea on what I need to do to make a very basic one so hopefully it won't be too hard. I'll work on momentum etc after that.