Narrow Gauge

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.
mattd10

Narrow Gauge

Post by mattd10 »

Hi all,

On the previous forum there was a little discussion of narrow gauge as well as a few projects (mostly using OO/N scale to depict anything from 5" to 10" gauge) but not a lot really happened there. I'm a big fan of anything narrow gauge and have wanted to do something in T for a while, but although I've thrown the idea around of a garden in O scale to represent a 5" gauge railway I've always been put off by the risk of me not doing it justice and making it look too toy-like.

But I digress, after a recent trip to Lisbon with work (fascinating city...highly recommended!) I noticed that their tramways in the city don't run on standard gauge....they actually run on 900mm track. And then it hit me....a narrow gauge modern tramway! Lisbon has some of the old fashioned trolley cars and a fleet of modern trams and its the latter that inspired me! After some very rough calculations I decided that the overall scale would be around 1:300 (ish) to give this look.

My thoughts are full colour sandstone bodies from shapeways (slightly larger dimensions should give no problem printing these unlike standard size T gauge models) which would slot over the motorised chassis and down past the wheels. Although most modern trams are articulated, I don't really fancy cutting up a chassis so I'll either just extend the couplers in the middle and have nothing or maybe just a bogey. As you can tell, I've not thought a lot about that part of it, just looking for inspiration and advice really!

The other reason I want to do this is with an impending move I don't really have time or space for my larger layout I was working on, so need something nice and small, probably an end to end through a street with a station stop in the middle.

Anyway, attached is a picture of a Lisbon tram (not mine, credit to the website owner) but that is the look I'm going for...narrow streets, few cars and people, tall buildings!
http://www.photo-transport.co.uk/trams/ ... am-506.jpg

Let me know what you think! And anyone that knows of a source of european style buildings in a suitable scale or paper models that I can scale up/down please let me know!

jerrybigcat

Re: Narrow Gauge

Post by jerrybigcat »

I love the idea. I've contemplated, at length, the possibility of doing traction and rapid transit it T. Perhaps narrow guage traction would work as well, Lisbon, some of the California lines, hmmmm! ;)

ivanf

Post by ivanf »

I've done a bit of narrow gauge stuff in other scales and have had a go modifying a Nm meter gauge railcar to Zm. The maths is a bit approximate but it allows Z people to do dual gauge layouts. I think 1:350 would be a more accurate scale...

This is the second version of my attempt at a chassis. It's an adapter that takes a regular power chassis but extends it so the bogies are at the right separation. No cutting of the chassis is involved it's just a case or removing the springs from the unpowered bogie. And a spare bag of springs is pretty cheap if it all goes wrong.
a150-1.png
a150-1.png (9.37 KiB) Viewed 5352 times
The plan is to remove the non-powered bogie from a chassis and re-attach it to the lump at the back end of the chassis with bits of wire through the ends of the springs hooked over the pegs at the top.

This version has 2 problems - the hole on the bottom for the peg on the bogie is a bit tight and the grooves for the spring holding wires are a bit high. Both easily fixed and I'm optimistic that next version will actually work.

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

Wow, such a clever idea! I was wondering how to attempt articulated trams but I never thought of doing something like this as a way of creating that middle bogey section! I definitely need to get to the drawing board I think! This has definitely inspired me!

Sent from mobile device