The Brass Deltic Kit - Anyone Tried it yet?

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.
scottmitchell74

The Brass Deltic Kit - Anyone Tried it yet?

Post by scottmitchell74 »

I was wondering if anyone's tried putting that puppy together yet. It looks daunting to me, so I wanted to know from others how it went for them.

My next layout (whether it's N, Z, or T) I really want to be a British scene. The problem is the complete lack of British rolling stock in Z, the lack of space for a new N layout, and the general lack of RTR in T. I prefer freight so I'm interested in the Deltic, Warship, Classes 37, 40, 45, 46...like that...for T, so that's why I'm asking about that Deltic kit.

ConnorL

Re: The Brass Deltic Kit - Anyone Tried it yet?

Post by ConnorL »

I was about to ask the same question, it looks very tempting and somewhat difficult due to the size of it. Do you know what? I think I'll order one on my next purchase. I have a suitable chassis and bogie for the deltic kit.

nscaler69

Post by nscaler69 »

I have basically built one (Dec 2010) and with my crap soldering skills still managed a reasonable effort considering its small size.
I would suggest a very fine soldering tip, study prototype photos to help understand what you are trying to achieve.
Some bits were fiddly to assemble and the fuel tanks are easily broken of if over handled.
(You can now buy the Deltic as a print from Shapeways)
Attachments
T Gauge Brass Deltic
T Gauge Brass Deltic
PC150228s.jpg (95.96 KiB) Viewed 5669 times

scottmitchell74

Post by scottmitchell74 »

I've seen that Shapeways Deltic, but it doesn't say when size motorized chassis to you with it.

By the way, I think you did fine on your brass one. I'd be thrilled with that result.

Ozrail

Post by Ozrail »

The Shapeway Deltic uses the 19m motor unit.
I think the 21m is to long for the nose ends to fit properly

However you need to somehow extend the couplers to make it useable for haulling.
(Not to mention make it into a CO-CO wheels arrangement)

It's an amazing model owning one myself.
I just wish I can make mine run better.
Check out my Shapeways store for T-gauge stuff.
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/everythingtgauge?s=0