Troubleshooting Motors

The place for general discussions and requests for help on all matters relating to T gauge.
Webskipper

Troubleshooting Motors

Post by Webskipper »

It’s been a few years since running train and I have a couple loco motors that don’t turn.

Track is clean, loco clean, and it’ll try to change direction with lots of humming.

Is there a safe way to help a T-motor turn without breaking it?

Thanks in advance.
It's alright to be itty bitty, runnin' itty bitty trains around an itty bitty city.

dkightley

Re: Troubleshooting Motors

Post by dkightley »

You've not made it clear whether you're having problems with either the power unit gearbox not running in response to power , or the actual motor shaft itself appears to be seized.

Assuming you're referring to the gearbox.....then to me its obvious that either there's a foreign object caught in diverging teeth somewhere in the gear train, or that something is causing a gear shaft to jam.

Simply forcing the output gear round with something like a small screwdriver blade or blade is not recommended. I would suggest the gearbox be disassembled very carefully and each gear be examined for damage or signs of blockage. If there is a foreign object....probably a small piece of debris or fluff, it will more than likely be between the final gear and the pinion that drives it. Before opening the gearbox, do check the bogie the gearbox drives for trapped fluff, etc.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

Webskipper

Post by Webskipper »

Power unit gearbox not running in response to power. I slipped the chassis out of the ICE. The nose piece is just glued on?
It's alright to be itty bitty, runnin' itty bitty trains around an itty bitty city.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

The "nose" is trapped between the body and the chassis, and held in place by the pin on the chassis. So no gluing required!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

Webskipper

Post by Webskipper »

Thanks Doug. Ok ICE3 run fine now.

One BR125 loco has a binding at the pinion/ring gear. Disassembled chassis to find root cause. Motor spins fine With ring gear removed. Gears installed without initial pinion/ring spin without binding of any kind now. Now I need truck springs because one is hiding. Another day.